• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (96 Viewers)

Mark, I have seen plenty of Cory's and Great Shears in the South West (not to mention stunning views of Great Shear and Fea's Petrel on the Scillonian pelagics) and agree that the experience is fantastic. However, these days I would get far more enjoyment from the slim possibility of finally connecting with one of these beauties in Norfolk!

I won't be on next years boat but if it is somewhat successful then I would definitely consider such a trip in the future. I am sure there are birds to be seen, even if they are only Stormies, but with records of large shears and even Wilson's Petrel in the North Sea, a trip out has got to be worth a shot!

You are entitled to your opinion and are free to spend your money as you please, but I see little point to most of your posts, while your use of smilies fails to mask your barbed words. I look forward to the day that you post something constructive on here or, better still, advertise when you will be at Sheringham so we can all benefit from a "seabird masterclass" as you effortlessly identify the various skuas etc that go past

Hi Chris. Clearly u have put much thought into your response and you make some useful points although they once again show the tribal nature of this thread. Lets be honest Chris, if the South west was 2 hours drive from your house and given the choice of a 30 minute drive to Sherringham there would be no contest on where to seawatch!

My initial "Chinese Buffet" post was in fact not aimed at anyone. Josh responded in good humour on a matter you know nothing about and my response to Josh was also in good humour. Please take good care not to involve yourself in matters which you neither understand nor involve you. If you have issues please pm me. As for the skua stuff, i have done enough hours at Sherringham to realise that a large number of birds can not be indentified safely. I shall leave in to "experts" like yourself Chris! I have to say there are a number of Norfolk based birders who having experienced the skills and knowledge in the field I (as do others) hold in the very highest regard as observers - I do not recall you being one of them!

As for sometimes poking fun at the Norfolk birding scene - guilty as charged. Only tend to target those who get a little too big for their vegatarian walking boots;), which I suspect does not apply to you. Likely to continue to do that until Norfolk declares UDI - thats an intersting thought!

As you say we are all entitled to our opinions. Regards.

Last edited:
Mark,
Please don't take offence but perhaps by posting openly on a thread you are inviting readers to comment - if the matter or occassion was one of a personal or private nature then maybe that's where it should remain, why mention it when only you and Pom are "in" on the scenario? I do think your answer to Chris a tad rude - and yes, you don't seem to offer any patch sightings or else, usually only anti Norfolk or LGRE sentences.
Pat

Mark, please take offence, I think your postings on the Norfolk thread are mainly said just to wind people up and if that's the only way for you to get your kicks that is up to you.
But it does make you come across as a sad tossed.(no smily)

Mark,
Please don't take offence but perhaps by posting openly on a thread you are inviting readers to comment - if the matter or occassion was one of a personal or private nature then maybe that's where it should remain, why mention it when only you and Pom are "in" on the scenario? I do think your answer to Chris a tad rude - and yes, you don't seem to offer any patch sightings or else, usually only anti Norfolk or LGRE sentences.
Pat

Hi Pat. Lets be frank, there are one or two individuals who are more sensitive to my postings on this thread than an IBS sufferer on a diet of spicy curry!

Posting S**t aside (any comments re s**T and me posting it are far too predictable;)), I am not sure there is strict editorial policy of what can or can not be posted. Fridays post was neither inappropriate nor offensive.

As for being rude to Mr Bish, I would suggest he was rude first. That said, I have more respect for Mr Bish, given that he is open and straightforward with his opinions, rather than those who are rather more covert in there methods;)

As for Montys comments, you clearly gave that a great deal of thought! No offence Monty, but with that kind of interlect had you considered hibernating for the winter! (no smily)

Of course Pat there is always sensorship, something those IBS sufferers are most keen on ;) Best Wishes. Mark.

Last edited:
Mark,
RE your comment "I am not sure there is strict editorial policy of what can or can not be posted", that may well be the case, but can I at the very least direct you to an important segment of the first ever post on this thread:

Hopefully people can post helpful info, recent sightings, where to stay, where to get a good pint and all the other kind of birding stuff that pops into our minds form time to time as we drift through life...

So, whilst no (strict) editorial policy exists in terms of content, this thread does have a purpose. I have met some great folk through The Forum, learned a lot, and aim to give something back. If, as your above post suggests, the majority of your postings are irrelevant, why post here at all? I personally enjoy the variety of opinions voiced here, but I would imagine people might be more sympathetic towards you if you actually told us something useful. Underneath it all Mark, I am sure you are a thoroughly decent bloke and a good birder to boot; if so, tell us about that rather than slagging off a pioneering pelagic trip that I for one look forward to hearing about.

On that note, I should practise what I preach.
Surlingham yesterday morning was cold and foggy. Very little moving, save a territorial (?) Kingfisher, which chased another individual across the marsh.
This evening I had a stroll round the Claxton-Langley area. No Harriers this time, but lovely views of 3 Barn Owls and the comings and goings of the evening commute.

Cheers,
Jim.

.... Back to birds (or lack of them)
Just some Waxwings reported an no other bird reports for the whole day from Norfolk... That has got to be a record for the county , considering it is a weekend day as well!
Ps... I did look yesterday ... Some very nice Long Tailed Ducks at Titchwell being the highlight.

Jim. Thanks for the comments. Birding in beds is pretty grim at the best of times with large areas of good habitat being largely birdless. We can hope for some waxwings. Not sure how i have done any harm to next years trip. Sure it will be full and all those who go have a decent day out. As for editorial stuff, a fair few go off topic and the subjects covered can be pretty varied...not sure that is really a problem but others may think differently. That is fine. Agree that i am prone to the occaisional wind up, but this was not the case this time. Will try to take your comments on board. Do rather miss the quality of birding that norfolk has to offer. Best wishes. Mark.

Titchwell - birds of prey

Despite the horrendous weather we scored a male Hen Harrier and Red Kite over thornham marsh and this lovely Merlin on the beach

Regarding Norfolk pelagics, I've been reliably informed its not the first pelagic off norfolk or the first one to use chum,

One was done back in the 90's? a few miles off blakeney point in early september the highlights being Puffin, sub-ad (spooned) Pom Skua and a juv Sabine's Gull came right in to the slick. All for £15

Attachments

• IMG_3883.JPG
    IMG_3883.JPG
    318.7 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
A day for the camera, for Shore ? Not !

I was told, third-hand, that ‘violent aerobics’ had flushed the Shorelark. I remain mildly perplexed.

Several views and a reasonable shot of the Short-eared Owl, floating past Gramboro’, were some recompense.

A Turnstone, resting near the Beach car park, seemed not to understand its name.

A Mistle Thrush in the Dell, at Wells Woods, perched for a while.

There seemed fewer Redpolls today- around 10.

Attachments

• 023pse2.jpg
    023pse2.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 124
  • 011pse.jpg
    011pse.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 110pse.jpg
    110pse.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 84
Titchwell November 26th

Today’s highlights

Great white egret – 1 west over main path @ 14:45 towards Holme
Waxwing – 22 (7, 13, 2) over the reserve today
Hen harrier – 3 (1 male) around reserve
Long tailed duck – 7 offshore
Shag – 2 offshore
Spotted redshank – 5 on Volunteer Marsh
Red crested pochard – female on East Trail
Red kite – 1 over reedbed then roosted south of the reserve
Goosander – drake on fresh marsh

Paul

Titchwell

Had an excellent day at Titchwell today, seeing & hearing 100 species, the highlight being the Egret we spotted flying fairly high west over the path, in addition to Paul's list
c3000 Pink-footed Geese flying off to roost (some of which are pictured), 2 Water Pipits, c3,500 Golden Plvoer, 2 Brambling on feeders, a swimming Water Rail, adult Yellow-legged Gull, a Red Kite plucking and eating prey, Lapland Bunting flew over calling, Kingfisher, Barn Owl and breif views of a Bittern.

Attachments

• IMG_3887a.jpg
    IMG_3887a.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_3891a.jpg
    IMG_3891a.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_3897a.jpg
    IMG_3897a.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
A group of us from Lincs spent the day around Wells Wood to Holkham gap area.
Wells wood
11 Lessor Redpole on the north side of the dell.
Bull Finches 2 x male & 2 x females
Chiffchaff x 2.
Tree Creepers.
Nuthatch x 1.
Mistle Thrush x 3. Lots of Goldcrests, LT, Blue & great tits.

Holkham Beach
three groups of Snow Bunting 21,28 & 32.
Shore Larks x 3.
Twite x 23

On the sea (flat calm for a change)
Long Tailed Duck x 1.
Goosanders x 6 in the tidal pools.
Razorbill x 3.
Red-Necked Grebe x 2.

Steve

Just like buses......

After waiting nine years, a couple of weeks ago finally got Waxwing on the garden list when 2 flew over although even more surprising were both the adult male Hen Harrier and adult winter Med Gull seen from the garden within a few days of the Waxwings.
Amazingly, while gazing out of the window this morning almost a repeat performance when first an adult male Hen Harrier flew high south-east quickly followed by 2 waxwings flycatching from the top of nearby trees.
Managed a rubbish record shot of the harrier but the Waxwings were more obliging and ended up with 5 birds all flycatching in the sunshine (yes, I know there are only 3 in the photo!).
Hen Harrier has brought garden raptor list up to 11 species which is not bad for somewhere 30 miles from the coast (but still waiting for Yellow Wagtail and Turtle Dove).

Mick

Attachments

• PGPhoto-006.jpg
    PGPhoto-006.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 93
  • PGPhoto-007.jpg
    PGPhoto-007.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 112
  • PGPhoto-008.jpg
    PGPhoto-008.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 166
To add to Titchwell's fine haul for today, a Bonxie flew east at about 12:40 and a first winter Little Gull was amongst the throngs of gulls following the trawlers offshore. I saw 18 Little Gulls off Gore Point about an hour later.

Titchwell November 27th

Today’s highlights

Yellow legged gull – adult in fresh marsh roost
Spotted redshank – 2 on fresh marsh
Bittern – 1 over reedbed
Avocet – 12 on fresh marsh

Paul

Driving back along the coast road today, about 4.15pm so light very bad, we had just passed Salthouses heading towards Sheringham, when in a ploughed field on our right amidst a large number of greylags and Brent, we saw a white Goose, it was too far to identify for sure has anyone else seen this? It looked to big for a farmyard goose, but probably was, has anything else been reported?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back