• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (1 Viewer)

Many thanks to those that provided info re the silver-studded blues.5 males and a female in overcast but warm conditions at buxton heath yesterday. This would be a good bet for Turkish van,but I am unsure where the nearest bus stop is.
Shedloads of Ringlet and Meadow Brown at Surlingham church marsh over the weekend,the odd Comma and large Skipper thrown in for good measure too.
cheers,
Jim.

I think Swallowtails are almost guaranteed at Strumpshaw?
Hi Laura. I'm afraid it is getting a little late for Swallowtails now. At least one was seen at Strumpshaw yesterday but I was there all day and didn't see one, so I can't say they are 'almost guaranteed'. Having said that, Strumpshaw is a brilliant place for butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies, so you should find plenty of other species to keep you entertained and you never know, you could be lucky with a late Swallowtail.

I don't know very much about public transport here, so hopefully someone else can suggest other sites which you can get to.

Ron

Hi Laura. I'm afraid it is getting a little late for Swallowtails now. At least one was seen at Strumpshaw yesterday but I was there all day and didn't see one, so I can't say they are 'almost guaranteed'. Having said that, Strumpshaw is a brilliant place for butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies, so you should find plenty of other species to keep you entertained and you never know, you could be lucky with a late Swallowtail.

I don't know very much about public transport here, so hopefully someone else can suggest other sites which you can get to.

Ron

Ok, that's a shame, thanks though. Are they between broods, or is that is for the summer do you think?

There will no doubt be, as you say, plenty to amuse me anyway!

Hi Laura. I've just remembered that there is a small reserve in Brundall itself called Brundall Church Fen Local Nature Reserve. I have never been there but it should be worth a look. Try googling the name.

Ron

Just been informed of a newly emerged swallowtail seen at the weekend at Hickling, so it's quite likely that the broods will merge again - although strumpshaw may well have a gap.

Laura, I'd recommend a trip by train to either great yarmouth or Berney arms for breydon water. Berney is a request stop and not all trains stop there, but you can get off at berney and walk on to yarmouth (5 miles) for the return. Good for general wildlife, and you might be in time to catch the first of the next brood wall browns around berney. Essex skipper is common along the sea wall at the moment. The sea front in yarmouth has small heath in the dunes.

If you are in norwich at any point then mousehold heath is not far from the railway station and has purple hairstreaks, small copper and white admiral. (although wa are not common.) You can also bus out to the north norfolk coast from norwich, which will give you other options.

Not sure about public transport but winterton will give you dark green fritillary, small heath, forester and at some point grayling (although not flying at the moment, they should be out any day now.)

This is a bit late but my internet went down in last weeks storms and only just got it up and running. My first purple hairstreak of the year at swanton Novers last thursday. A newly emerged specimen still on the ground . A number about in the tree tops yesterday.

My parents have hummingbird hawk moths almost daily in their garden recently, including yesterday. My mother said she has never seen so many. I really ought to spend the day in their garden!!!:eek!:

They are so lucky!! Where do they live and how many have they seen at one time? If I were you I'd def pop round there for a cup of tea when the moths are there. I can't think of many things better than a nice cuppa whilst watching HHMs!
Still on the subject of moths I forgot to mention that I saw my first ever Five-spot Burnet at Lopham Fen on Sunday.
Changing the subject to butterflies, there were two Purple Hairstreaks high up in the oaks along Brand's Lane just north of Long Stratton (TM 195944) today, and these are hopefully a precursor to higher counts here later in the summer.

Blast from the past...

Recent postings re: Death's Head Hawk Moth prompted me to dig out the attached photos which I've copied with a digital camera. Some boys, knowing my Dad was the local 'nature man', brought him a big, green caterpillar one evening back in the '80's/'90's (?). It was instantly recognisable as a DHH, much excitement ensued! It was placed in a container on some loose, moist soil and promptly buried itself to pupate. It was overwintered in an airing cupboard, tended to every few days with a water filled hand sprayer to prevent it's environment drying out, and early the following Spring it hatched into one of the most magnificent insects you're likely to see in the UK...

I've been fortunate enough to see another; one which was discovered on the seafront at Mundesley in October 2001.

James

Attachments

• Death's Head Hawk #1.jpg
    Death's Head Hawk #1.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 92
  • Death's Head Hawk #2.jpg
    Death's Head Hawk #2.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Death's Head Hawk #3.jpg
    Death's Head Hawk #3.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 83
Lots of purple hairstreak from the tower at Hickling Broad yesterday, but only two swallowtails. A possible silver-washed reported from little melton yesterday, and for anyone venturing down south in the near future there are currently Marbled White in Landseer park in Ipswich - almost certainly cardboard box jobs though.

STOP PRESS: PURPLE EMPEROR reported Felbrigg Hall Sunday. TG199396
(I'm not saying I believe it - but I'll pass it on in the hope that someone will get a photo.)

Last edited:
Excellent images James. One day........
Despite the breezy conditions this evening, and the warmth of the sun fading fast, I happened across a small colony of Purple Hairstreak at Surlingham Church Marsh. 5/6 seen, at least 2 males. What an attractive Butterfly.
Cheers,
Jim.

any info on the possible purple emperor at felbrigg hall on sunday

Sorry, that's all I have. The report was second-hand, the observer claimed apparently that he was familiar with the species. Nearest breeding site is in Suffolk, so it would be be either a cardboard box or a migrant in north norfolk.

Just been informed of a newly emerged swallowtail seen at the weekend at Hickling, so it's quite likely that the broods will merge again - although strumpshaw may well have a gap.

Laura, I'd recommend a trip by train to either great yarmouth or Berney arms for breydon water. Berney is a request stop and not all trains stop there, but you can get off at berney and walk on to yarmouth (5 miles) for the return. Good for general wildlife, and you might be in time to catch the first of the next brood wall browns around berney. Essex skipper is common along the sea wall at the moment. The sea front in yarmouth has small heath in the dunes.

If you are in norwich at any point then mousehold heath is not far from the railway station and has purple hairstreaks, small copper and white admiral. (although wa are not common.) You can also bus out to the north norfolk coast from norwich, which will give you other options.

Not sure about public transport but winterton will give you dark green fritillary, small heath, forester and at some point grayling (although not flying at the moment, they should be out any day now.)

Great info, thanks very much! I will definitely be heading out towards Great Yarmouth at least a couple of times, so breydon water is now on the list.

Will report back on what I see. Thanks again...

Essex Skipper and Silver-studded Blue

Hi, heading down to Norfolk on Sunday for a week. hoping to connect with Essex Skipper and Silver-studded Blue.

I'm based near Kelling, so hoping some SsB still hanging on there.

Also, was going to try Holme for ES - any info. on where to try from "The Firs" much appreciated.

Steve.

Exported on 08-Jul-2011
TF693440 holme next the Sea 31-Jul-2010 Essex Skipper
TF701436 Holme next the Sea 31-Jul-2010 Essex Skipper
TF705446 holme next the Sea 1-Aug-2010 Essex Skipper
TF708448 holme next the Sea 1-Aug-2010 Essex Skipper
TF710449 holme next the Sea 1-Aug-2010 Essex Skipper
TF711450 holme next the Sea 31-Jul-2010 Essex Skipper

I have also a single record from Kelling last year - but it just has a tetrad grid ref.
Yes, just 6 essex records from holme last year, all on the same weekend: They are from the Big Butterfly Count and submitted by householders in the village - clearly Holme's not visited much by naturalists :-(

Still, here's some piccies to practice peering at antennae on

Attachments

• ss.JPG
    ss.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 72
  • essex on sea radish.jpg
    essex on sea radish.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 80
It looks like there has been a big influx of Red Admirals locally, today at Whitlingham I had a minimum of 43, the true number was probably much larger as there were long overcast spells. They were feeding almost exlusively on Buddleia or Hemp Agrimony. Unfortunately from a recording point of view the Great broad straddles four 1Km squares.

Also my first Gatekeepers of the year (4, all male)
Plus Large White, Meadow Brown, Ringlet, Comma, Large Skipper x1, Small Skipper x1. I checked the large oak in the carpark for Purple Hairstreaks on the off chance but didnt find any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back