• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (2 Viewers)

Ventured a bit further east than normal today and was treated to several species including Grayling, Painted Lady, Peacock, Small Tortoiseshell, Gatekeeper, Large White, White sp., Small Heath and Small Copper, the latter in good numbers. Also saw 3 of these stripy beasts, a first for me. Fantastic creatures...

James

Attachments

• Grayling.JPG
    Grayling.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Wasp Spider.JPG
    Wasp Spider.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Wasp Spider 2.JPG
    Wasp Spider 2.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 67
Photos from my recent trip to the Picos de Europa, in northern Spain, have started to appear (yes, I’m posting ‘em) on the thread below, for those interested:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2229734#post2229734

I would welcome confirmation or correction of my attempts at ID; the fritillaries generally fill me with something approaching horror.

Along the westernmost track at Warham Greens yesterday, the Red Admirals were starting to build in numbers.

Aren't those Wasp Spiders great, James ?

Lovelee Liedees !

[As pronounced by Capitano Bertorelli in 'Allo 'Allo!]

Below are the two Painted Ladies, in beautiful condition, I snapped in The Dell at Wells Woods this afters.

A rather battered Small Copper was in close attendance.

There were more Speckled Woods about today, too.

Attachments

• 024pse.jpg
    024pse.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 035pse.jpg
    035pse.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 50
Horsey yesterday produced good numbers of graylings and small heaths, along with single comma and small tort. Two or three of each of small copper and red admiral and the usual numbers of each of the three whites. Something dark shot over the dunes which could have been the last dark green frit of the season, but it was too fast for my aged legs.

Lots of Butterflies at Kelling today: hundreds of Red Admirals, Large & Small Whites and Speckled Woods. Also a few Commas & Painted Ladies

Attachments

• comma.jpg
    comma.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 54
  • PAINTED LADY.jpg
    PAINTED LADY.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 46
Strictly speaking this is off-topic, being suffolk but I thought people might like to know:
"a female Long-tailed Blue at approx. TM549955, north of the Links Road car park. It was feeding on bramble nectar in a large clump of bramble on the seaward side of the large area of Russian Vine."

seen today.

Probably the same Lady, today, in the same place; this time, with photographic corroboration.

Because of the way the paths went through the brambles, I just couldn’t get a better shot.

Attachments

• 243pse.jpg
    243pse.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 62
Happisburgh proved pretty good for butterflies today with at least 2 Red Admirals plus single Peacock, Comma and Brimstone...

James

A report of Common Blue and Brown Argus, both seen yesterday (with photos). That's pretty late. I'd expect the species that hibernate as adults to still be about (Red Admiral, Comma, Small Tort and Peacock) but we should be coming to the end of other species - although still a chance of a late brood of White Admiral at Holkham. Anyone seeing anything interesting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back