• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norwich Birding (6 Viewers)

Observered some very interesting behaviour on the UEA broad this evening. Usually there is only 1 Common Tern present (Present pretty much the whole summer) however today there was 3 including one very fresh looking Juv. Watched an adult bird catch a small fish and feed it the young bird. I'm wondering if they may have bred locally in this case?

Juv Little Gull on UEA broad this evening, came in about 8.25 with a few black headed gulls then departed about 8.35, and adult bird was reported by my friend this morning.

Also 5 Common Sandpipers roosting on the Island under the willow and the usual 3 Common Terns also present still.

Sanderling on the uea broad yesterday. 6 Common Tern now present. Also a single common Sandpiper flew down river between Earlham Park and Earlham Marsh

Attachments

• _MG_5839.JPG
    _MG_5839.JPG
    625.6 KB · Views: 95
Spotted close to Bishop's Bridge a Cormorant, not sure how unusual this is so close to a city centre. Also close to Cow Tower a pair of Egyptian Geese with about half a dozen young in tow.

They look a bit out of place, but Cormorants are regular on the river through Norwich. When I walked to work along the river between Bishop's Bridge and Fye Bridge I used to see between 1 and 7 quite regularly. More recently I saw one flying over Chapelfield Park a couple of weeks ago.

Spotted close to Bishop's Bridge a Cormorant, not sure how unusual this is so close to a city centre. Also close to Cow Tower a pair of Egyptian Geese with about half a dozen young in tow.

They look a bit out of place, but Cormorants are regular on the river through Norwich. When I walked to work along the river between Bishop's Bridge and Fye Bridge I used to see between 1 and 7 quite regularly. More recently I saw one flying over Chapelfield Park a couple of weeks ago.

That is quite surprising to me, who's only previous regular spots of Cormorants used to be on the UEA Broad 20+ years ago. I presume now that I'm more actively looking for birds rather than reacting to what I happen to see I'll be more aware.

A ringtail harrier followed the river downstream through the city this afternoon. Viewed from my flat I picked it up over New Mills Yard and lost it behind buildings near Duke Street. The bird was flying very low and, viewing from above, it's white rump stood out like a beacon in the afternoon murk. Build and flight were very suggestive of Hen Harrier but couldn't clinch the number of primaries at that range.

As for Cormorants, birds fly over the city virtually every day (8 this evening) and, as James says, regularly settle on the river.

Will

About an hour ago whilst passing through Wensum Park I presumed there was a group of 4 Greylag Geese as they are normally in the park. However after a closer look in the fading light I discover they were actually Egyptian Geese, not uncommon along the Wensum in Norwich but I've not seen them in Wensum Park before.

Attachments

• DSC00215.JPG
    DSC00215.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 67
Out checking the moth trap at 9.45pm when I thought I heard a Sandwich Tern call twice, albeit distantly. Just that slight nagging doubt that I'm going mad is preventing me from "ticking" it!

Walking into work this morning a lone Tree Pipit called 2-3 times near the inner ring road (north of city). It was fairly low but heading over. Strange as there were no Mipits heard (occasionally hear them flying over)

On Twitter from @grahamfappleton
Strangest bird sighting of the weekend: Gannet flying over junction of A47 and B1108 on outskirts of Norwich

On Twitter from @grahamfappleton
Strangest bird sighting of the weekend: Gannet flying over junction of A47 and B1108 on outskirts of Norwich

Certainly a bird I would like to get on my Norwich list! Although I do have it on my London list (at least I would if I kept one!)

About an hour ago whilst passing through Wensum Park I presumed there was a group of 4 Greylag Geese as they are normally in the park. However after a closer look in the fading light I discover they were actually Egyptian Geese, not uncommon along the Wensum in Norwich but I've not seen them in Wensum Park before.

I spotted a pair of Egyptian Geese on the UEA playing fields yesterday late afternoon.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back