• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norwich Birding (1 Viewer)

in 2006 I had a Roe deer at Cooper's Wood LNR in Lakenham, and in 2008 a Muntjac at Danby Wood LNR. There was also a dead Muntjac on the posh end of Unthank road that year - run over I think. The NWT did a inner city wildlife survey a few years back, but I can't remember if they got deer in the city. There was a Chinese Water Deer in Great Yarmouth last month, and I think one went into the sea at Lowestoft last year.

I suspect the Roe use the railway lines at night to move through the city, but theu can be really hard to spot. The one at Coopers was stood in a tall patch of shrubs and nettles and I'd walked right past it unaware before it sprinted out behind me. If it had stayed put I'd have never have known it was there - which raises the question how often I'd missed one before.

Same old, same old annual stupidity

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not write down, or GOSSIP in public places sightings of rare breeding birds for anyone to see. It's just not clever, it is thoughtless, doesn't make you a better birder and it does lead to species failing in their breeding endeavours. Thank you, Pat

Thorpe Marshes, Norwich

Not quite matching the large numbers of Wheatears being seen along the coast but there was a single male Wheatear at Thorpe Marshes in Norwich this morning (on the bare patch of land next to the "spit").

There were plenty of warblers around particularly Common Whitehroat and Sedge Warbler. Good views of Cetti's Warbler as well as my first singing Reed Warbler of the year.

Also of note, 4 Swallows and 1 Green Woodpecker but no waders.

Cheers

Steve

Circa 2005/6 I had pleasure of seeing a Roe deer walking across Gurney Rd, just about 100yds up from the Castle public house. Very early morning.

Whitlingham today and all the common warblers are now in: Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Blackcap, Whitethroat, Sedge Warbler and one Reed Warbler. Also a clean sweep of Swallow, Sand Martin, House Martin and Swift. I was told about the Wheatear being seen at Thorpe earlier by another birder, but despite going to the woods and scanning from several different vantage points I couldn't see it from the Whitlingham side!

Lesser Whitethroat and Garden Warbler now back at Whitlingham, and a Common Sandpiper flew up from the river and onto Thorpe Broad this morning.

Grasshopper Warbler reeling and showing on occasions along the boardwalk at UEA campus- from the massive tree stump, along the Yare. Also a Cuckoo singing.

Had a Common Sandpiper on the muddy margins of the Wensum just west of Cow Tower this morning on the way to work. I thought last year that the edges looked good for a passage wader, but this is the first one I've seen here.

RED RUMPED SWALLOW whittlingham lane CP over great broad viewed from west end of far car park at 8.12am
How many people have that on their greater norwich list !?

There were 100's of Swifts and Swallows in the Yare Valley yesterday, Josh. Rockland certainly worth a look and as soon as my hire car arrives I will head out (car written off by a berk in a lorry this morning!). Langley marshes held the majority of the aforementioned birds.
Great local find.

Cheers,
Jim.

Another garden tick, which I thought was going to come one day - a bloody Buzzard!!

I now have Peregrine, Buzzard and I guess soon a Red Kite on my garden list - when I was a lad etc etc

Attachments

• buzzard garden.jpg
    buzzard garden.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 66
That looks very like the one that we had over the southern bypass around midday just as we were passing Whitlingham yesterday. I agree, when I were a lad the idea of a buzzard in Norfolk was a pipedream.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back