• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norwich Birding (1 Viewer)

Can anyone confirm the reported 30+ waxwings at 'Broadlands Business park' ? That's a crazy number given the limited numbers of this year? Surely a typo?

Nice image there gclarke1, I have not any chance to see the waxwing over the weekend but I went and had a peek this afternoon and it was empty there. I guessed it has moved on... :(

Nice image there gclarke1, I have not any chance to see the waxwing over the weekend but I went and had a peek this afternoon and it was empty there. I guessed it has moved on... :(

It does sometimes go missing but seems to return. Plenty of apples there and it was certainly feeding well today around 11.30 today (I watched with no bins on a brief break from shopping / half term duties)

Only noticed that the waxwing appears quite skittish at times? Was watching it this morning and for no apparent reason it became really flappy and just flew off. Returning a few moments later doing a similar sort of thing and then not returning...

I remember watching waxwings in Sussex quite late in the year as they fed on fermented berries, getting drunk off said berries and flying into buildings. I can't imagine those apples are particularly fresh and so I'm wondering as the day progressive's it gets, well drunk.

I finally caught up with the Ber Street Waxwing this morning on my third attempt. A nice year tick, albeit, like Sacha, binocular-less.

Along with the Waxwing, 2014 has already produced Little Egret, Pink-footed Goose and Teal within the inner-ring road. Peregrine, Sparrowhawk, Grey Wagtail and Stock Dove are seen most days (the latter surprises me, does anyone have any more info on nearby breeding sites etc?) All in all, not a bad city for birds.

I would love to hear of any unusual/interesting 2014 sightings in the city centre as and when they happen. I may take a leaf out of James' book and write a report.

Cheers,

Will

I finally caught up with the Ber Street Waxwing this morning on my third attempt. A nice year tick, albeit, like Sacha, binocular-less.

Along with the Waxwing, 2014 has already produced Little Egret, Pink-footed Goose and Teal within the inner-ring road. Peregrine, Sparrowhawk, Grey Wagtail and Stock Dove are seen most days (the latter surprises me, does anyone have any more info on nearby breeding sites etc?) All in all, not a bad city for birds.

I would love to hear of any unusual/interesting 2014 sightings in the city centre as and when they happen. I may take a leaf out of James' book and write a report.

Cheers,

Will

Stock Dove calling at UEA yesterday, normally I've only seen fly overs but there's a couple hanging around...

I don't think I've seen Stock Dove within the Inner Ring Road, although just outside it they breed/have bred at Lion Wood. I also had them in my garden when I lived near Earlham Cemetery, and there's usually a small flock at Thorpe Marsh.

Will let you know of any interesting city centre sightings.

Regards,
James

Cheers,

Will

Ber Street Waxwing

Still there this morning at 10 am: showed no signs of a hangover!

Attachments

• WW1.jpg
    WW1.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 45
  • WW2.jpg
    WW2.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 53
  • WW3.jpg
    WW3.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 48
A "first" at my feeders today was a Starling! I often seen them flying over but the only previous one actually in my garden was in the talons of a Sparrowhawk! A flock of 20 or so Siskins hanging around had at least 1 Lesser Redpoll with them.

Stock Dove are frequent in the fields beyond my garden and occasionally visit the feeders, as one did today. No Brambling this winter yet tho...

A pair of Long-tailed Tits seem to be nest building in my garden at the mo and the Buzzards were displaying yesterday over the woods. Spring must be in the air...

Stock Dove calling at UEA yesterday, normally I've only seen fly overs but there's a couple hanging around...

Hi 93Birder. If you take a look at the UEA biodiversity audit 2009-2011 -google it- (a bit out of date and in the process of being updated) you will see the numbers of breeding birds recorded at UEA. We are looking to add records in the next year so please detail additional records and counts of breeders (well anything really) on birdforum, or in a PM.

The audit show that there are regular stock dove on campus and 4-6 pairs generally attempt to breed in each year. The ringing group rings some of the chicks from accessible nests.

If anyone is recording regularly on the UEA campus grounds and wants to submit sightings i would very much welcome them. Either on this forum or as a PM.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back