• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Plover, Cape Verde (1 Viewer)

Jynx

Mike King aka The Gloster Birder, Keeping Gloster
Good morning
I had this plover at Rabil lagoon, Boa Vista, Cape Verde in November and although I thought about American Golden Plover I eventually decided it was Grey Plover. However when I put the trip report up I was contacted by someone saying definite AGP with several links as to why. My friends I have asked say Grey Plover. There were up to 4 Grey Plovers there and I certainly heard Grey Plover call.

I'd just like some more opinions please.

Thanks in advance
Mike

Attachments

• P1170299.JPG
    P1170299.JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 93
  • P1170300.JPG
    P1170300.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 129
  • P1170307.JPG
    P1170307.JPG
    319.1 KB · Views: 136
I think it looks okay for American Golden Plover. The head pattern and lack of obvious streaking on the underparts are much better for that species.

It's a fine example of AGP.

Note the the dark appearance of the bird due to dusky underparts and especially the dark patch to the rear flank where juv Grey plover would be pure white. The breast is mottled vs generally streaked and paler in juv Grey plover. The spots on the mantle, coverts and especially tertials are very small, enhancing the dark look. Further pro-AGP features can be seen: contrasting white supercilium, rather fine bill and seemingly the lack of hindtoe.

Nice find!

Relatively short tertials and long primaries (and related ratios with tail tip) all fine supporting features for AGP, as well as all features already mentioned.

cheers, alan

Live and learn, just wish I'd looked harder at the time could've been more than one. 9 yrs on Scilly have taught me not to expect to find anything ��

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back