• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question...... (1 Viewer)

El Annie

Phew..............
can anyone tell me if Sparrow Hawks are territorial and if they are what sort of size area do they patrol??? Is the hawk using my garden as a feeding station the same one each time???

Thanx in anticipation
El Annie :)

Hi El Annie

Hope you are well.

Not an expert on Sprawks by any means but I do think they tend to prefer their own hunting patch. Could be of course at this time of year that you may have some birds of the year trying to become established and find a territory.

burhinus

Sprawks

Good question ELA. I will endeavour to answer your question in good time, could be a difficult one to find an answer to though.

Goshawks are viciously territorial. They will kill Sparrowhawks and Tawny Owls foolish enough to venture into their feeding territory.

Although they look very alike I don't think Sprawks and Gosawks are that closely related. The Goshawk, if my constantly 'blue screening' memory serves me correctly, is more closely related to the Buteo's (Buzzards). The female is the right size after all and they do much of their hunting on the ground sometimes running after prey like a feathered sprinter. I don't think Sparrowhawks catch ground prey at all.

As for territory, most birds of prey get on rather well together so it does seem that Goshawks have developed a personal loathing rather than a natural one. Now you've got 'me' wondering. Off to the library tomorrow then!!! :t:

Sparrow Hawk

Hi, don't know if this will help at all. Here, in U.S.A., we have the American Kestrel(also known as a Sparrow Hawk), that my Audubon Society Encyclopedia of North American Birds says is very similar to the European Kestrels. The only thing I find in this book is that the Kestrel WILL defend its winter habitat against another of its own kind. Don't know about the other half of its migration habits.

El Annie wrote:

"can anyone tell me if Sparrow Hawks are territorial and if they are what sort of size area do they patrol??? Is the hawk using my garden as a feeding station the same one each time"???

The size of the spars territory depends on the amount of prey contained within - spars that take up residency in an area filled with small birds will probably have a smaller territory than a bird that lives on the edge of a moor, where prey is scarcer.

Spars and goshawks are closely related (accipitors), both hunt in a similar way - using surprise rather than height to kill their prey (though I have seen spars 'stoop') and spars do, occasionally, kill ground game - I've seen one kill a young rat and another kill a baby rabbit. They both 'still hunt' - sitting in a tree and dropping down on any unsuspecting prey. Both will go to extremes to kill their prey (this includes running along the ground, if neccessary), crashing into bushes at breakneck speed, etc. which falcons don't usually do.

Many raptors don't get on - peregrines, for instance, will sometimes kill smaller falcons, hawks and (especially) owls. Gosses can seem evil b******s at times, and will kill any bird - raptor or otherwise - that they consider they can overcome. Captive breeding projects can be fraught with danger as, sometimes, the female gos will kill the much smaller male - the same goes for spars.

'Funky' wrote:

"As for territory, most birds of prey get on rather well together so it does seem that Goshawks have developed a personal loathing rather than a natural one".

Can I just say that any 'loathing' that gosses have developed is entirely natural. Nothing, in nature, is ever 'personal' - they do it for a reason - ie. competition of prey species or nesting territory. It might be wise not to inflict human responses on to birds.

Sorry to disagree with you'Funky' - my first post and I'm disagreeing with someone - I appologise!

Sam

Hi Annie,

There was an article in a UK birding magazine earlier this year where the author was catching and ringing birds in his back garden. In the course of one day he caught 3 different Sparrowhawks.

BWP says that "hunting area are not defended as territories and several birds hunt over the same ground".

So the answer appears to be "No" Sparrowhawks are not territorial.

Dave

Kestrels have territories and they hunt those exclusively(at least they do here) they are migrating so they do not make an appearance all year round here. We have a Kestrel that is here every winter.. but actually just north west of us is a major breeding spot for these beautiful falcon. They arev one of my all time favourite Falcons..

Continuing Sprawk Debate

re>...."As for territory, most birds of prey get on rather well together so it does seem that Goshawks have developed a personal loathing rather than a natural one".

I should have used an avatar, the above statement was meant to be 'tongue in cheek'! :t:

Apart from the fact that most birds of prey 'do' seem to get on rather well. This is my own observation from 33 years of birding and seeing many species hunting almost side by side and not appearing to care about the other raptor. Marsh Harriers and Kestrels, Tawny and Little owls, Barn owls and Hen Harriers, Sparrow Hawks and Kestrels, Peregrines and Kestrels.
In fact Hobbies and Kestrels will play together as will Buzzards and Red Kites. The only direct aggression I have witnessed has been between Short Eared Owls and Marsh Harriers in autumn when they move into new feeding areas for winter, and between Golden Eagle and White Tailed Sea Eagle in the Eagles breeding season. The Golden is 'usually' the instigator and the White Tail is 'usually' the recipient but as with all things 'birdy' nothing is clear-cut....

Getting back to ElAnnie's post, I don't recall ever seeing Sparrow Hawks being aggressive to one another except for seeing off another male when displaying to a female in spring. Their territory's certainly overlap by quite a margin.
After saying all this a raptor of any species will protect its nest area against just about anything except a Water Buffalo which isn't really a problem in England.

The reference to Gos and Sprawk not being closely related was something I read about when studying their habits some years ago. My brain could do with a good de-fragging so the article could have been referring to a foreign species of Gos. I just thought I'd throw the comment in and see what response it got. I'm still left with a memory that they aren't 'closely' related. You got me all unsure now. I'll have to research this and get back to you. I'll lose sleep over this one I know it.......

Sam2 no offence taken or intended mate....it's all educational banter.

Whilst out for a drive last Friday I was suprised to come across four Kestrels all within fifty yards of each other, two perched on adjacent telegraph poles - three males and a female. I suppose they could have been having a New Year get together, but I've never seen that many together in this country before.

:cool: sprawk hunting grounds can range greatly depending on things like food availability...and a large proportion of male sparrowhawks get killed in their first year by females because they cant find available hunting grounds.

Remember that we get a number of overseas Sparrowhawks during the Winter.... so you could end up with several on your patch and maybe including a disgruntled regular.
Andy

El Annie, love your "Wellie Woman" avatar!

I picked up a pair of rubber Wellies last year after I decided I wanted a decent pair of good fitting, hard soled, rubber boots to wear while photographing Herons, critters and waterfowl in the swamps.

Love 'em! AND they don't go thwock-thwock-thwock against my legs when I walk!

BirdWatcher

An additional note on Sparrowhawks - while they do not have distinct and rigid territories their method of work is this. They will perch discreetly and observe a 'territory' - noting the perches, feeding areas etc of prey birds. They seem to be noting access, cover, bird numbers and so on. They then disappear for a short while so that the local birds become complacent and return to their patterns of feeding, perching and so on thinking the hawk has left the area. Then they fly in low, very fast and blind - working from the mental map created earlier - you see them coming in low over hedges and fences across several gardens - they cannot see the target at this point but they know it is there - they clear the final obstacle and BANG - lunch - if they are seen and the prey birds attempt to scatter they zone in on one and pursue - I have seen them go through our privet hedge folowing a sparrow - if the sparrow or prey bird can put some obstacles in the way they will usually escape.

So, they work an area like this - for a few hours and then move on - they will be back though in a few days time. So you may experience periodic losses from Sparrowhawks - but then, they are beautiful birds too!!!! Incidentally - I beleive (hazy recollection - I stand to be corrected) they make over 100 attacks a day, but few result in success.

Hi El Annie,
only just read this thread so sorry folks.
They will take prey on the ground, i have seen them hit a bird & start to strip its back when still alive. they work an area that they know has prey as mentioned above. they are great to watch and will be really going for it around the month of May so you should get your chair out the garden & camera ready :)

often to be found dead after trying to fly through patio doors etc, they will soon clear your garden of the nice little song birds but your garden will be full of song again soon dont worry they will come back.
have fun with your camera, you have to be quick!!!!!!!

Going slightly further off track, a female Sprawk chasing some prey hit the glass in one of the greenhouses where I work and stunned itself.

When it eventually came round, I was quite surprised at how quickly it could run before finally lifting off and away.

I saw a programe about Goshawks and it showed one pursuing a rabbit? through undergrowth on foot at some speed.

Also, as both species of true hawk belong to the genus Accipiter and not Buteo, surely they are closer to each other than to the buzzards as suggested in an earlier post?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back