• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (1 Viewer)

A heavy mist came down just as I got to the reserve this afternoon so not a lot was seen. A Green Sandpiper was calling at the new reedbed pool and a Barn Owl was perched on a post in the play meadow.
Geoff

A heavy mist came down just as I got to the reserve this afternoon so not a lot was seen. A Green Sandpiper was calling at the new reedbed pool and a Barn Owl was perched on a post in the play meadow.
Geoff

Hi Geoff,
I was there in the morning before the mist but didn't see much. 8 Shelduck and 6 Little Egret on North Pit; Fieldfare on the bridleway and a Goldcrest by the hall. Bob Duckhouse saw a Redpoll near the car park.
North pit and new workings very full of water and one digger was working.
Regards
Steve

Hi All,has anyone seen any Jack Snipe around the Tame Valley area lately or has anyone got any idea's where to look for them ?
Cheers
Mick

Jack Snipe

Hi All,has anyone seen any Jack Snipe around the Tame Valley area lately or has anyone got any idea's where to look for them ?
Cheers
Mick

Hi Mick,
Occasionaly they will show on an island or waters edge but usually it's those on work parties that flush Jack Snipe during management work.

Regards, John

No Jack Snipe today but still had a nice afternoon,green & g s woodpecker,l redpoll,l egret,sprawk,usual ducks,thrushes,finches,1 water rail in ditch along the canal,another in ditch next to carpark and finished off with a Barn Owl in field next to carpark at dusk...Nice...

Floods and cattle

Middleton Lakes was badly flooded this morning, in fact water levels were rising as the river was still overflowing. The Dosthill side of the reserve was in a better position with a rise of about 6" there. In the southern meadow water levels were up to the top of the fence posts in places, so up to 4'. Luckily there was still a bit of grass showing so the 5 cows weren't completely submerged but they didn't look happy, it's the third time this year they've been flooded out. I don't think it's a good idea keeping animals on a flood plain all the year round yet the RSPB are planning to put some more on the central area as well.
Birdwise there wasn't much to see, 1 Little Egret and the usual ducks were noted but I see that a party of 25 Waxwings were at the RSPB carpark per TVB.
Geoff

RSPB head warden Nick Martin (a very busy man) has replied to Geoff's concern's mentioned above, Nick saying that the volunteers checked the cattle every day during the floods and Nick himself one day took food over to the cattle, wading through water to a higher area where the cattle remained during flooding. Nick saying that in floods the water level raises quickly but also drops quickly.
The new re-landscaping area at Drayton Bassett pits section will have a higher level so Cattle and Konik ponies can stay in an area above the floods.

Regards, John

Last edited:
It's been fairly quiet on the reserve recently but just off the reserve the Long-tailed Duck and Ferruginous Duck were still on Dosthill Lake this morning ( I still can't rule out the possibility of a hybrid Fudge Duck though). Also on the eastern side of the reserve 2 Raven, 4 Snipe, 1 Woodcock, 1 Green Sandpiper, 2 Skylark, 1 Meadow Pipit and my first Great Black-backed Gull since March have been seen.
Yesterday there were 9 Shelduck, 3 Lapwing and a Green Sandpiper on the north pit and a Treecreeper was in Mill Plantation.
Reference the query re Jack Snipe, I haven't seen one since March, the habitat isn't very suitable for them at the moment as the grass hasn't been cut this year and also water levels are too high on their usual feeding areas which are generally in no go areas anyway.
Geoff.

It's been fairly quiet on the reserve recently but just off the reserve the Long-tailed Duck and Ferruginous Duck were still on Dosthill Lake this morning ( I still can't rule out the possibility of a hybrid Fudge Duck though).
Geoff.
There is an interesting photo of two Ferruginous Ducks taken in Egypt on Bob the Birders blog, see Sunday 30th Sept. 2012, it shows how the head shape can differ, one looks almost Pochard headed.
I hope some more pictures of the Dosthill bird will get taken by someone.
Geoff

Afternoon visit, 3 Pintail were on the north pit but flew to the private pits when a Peregrine flew over, 2 Green Sandpiper were also on north pit.
At dusk 12 Little Egret and 2 Grey Herons flew into the heronry.
Geoff.

Morning visit and most pools were frozen so duck numbers were well down but 4 Shelduck were seen and 2 Little Egret were by the north pit. A Goldcrest, 4 Starling and 4 Yellowhammer were month ticks and a Willow Tit by the canal was my first since January.
Long-tailed Tit and Redpoll were feeding on Willowherb and Nettle seed.
Three diggers were working in the central area and volunteers were doing the paths and trails.
Geoff

Did the Dosthill side of the reserve on Thursday and today, most pools were 98% frozen on Thursday and a Bittern flew across the lake to land in the reedbed, I couldn't see it today though, 6 Goosander and 20 Goldeneye were seen in flight, Kingfisher and a Grey Wagtail were along the river and a Cetti's Warbler sang twice.
Today all the pools had thawed and it appears that the river had once again overflowed into the new reedbed after yesterdays heavy rain. The Long-tailed Duck and Ferruginous Duck hybrid were back in there usual spots and a Peregrine flew over.
Geoff

4 Little Egret, 2 Shelduck and ca. 30 Lapwing were on the north pit today, a pair of Stonechat were in the central area still and a Kingfisher flew along the western side. JH reported that the Long-tailed Duck was still at Dosthill Lake.
Geoff

It was a very dry winter last year the RSPB wins a grant and now this year very wet so far, the contractors are being sensible and working on sloping the steep banks, any other work would be risky with this type of weather. Ideally we need a dry spell in the new year.

Regards, John

Flood Report

Water levels up on pools over the reserve and the river almost bursting over the river banks and may do so after tonights rain.
River over the bank onto SE Fisher's mill meadow where 2 Little Egret were feeding on the floods.

Regards, John

Flood Report

25/12/12 Water Levels up on all pools, tops of islands showing on the north pit, Lapwings keep circling but no islands as yet to land on. Water levels on the river up but not over- flowing the banks, no rain forecast over night so should be all right tommorrow with Wellington's, possibility of Smew sighting now.

Regards, John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back