• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

swift audubon mk2 (2 Viewers)

Prestdj

its good to be back
Ukraine
just bought a pair of swift audubon mk2 so they have some fungus are they worth repairing? and who could do it in the uk ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 18.47.27.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 18.47.27.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 18.47.41.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 18.47.41.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 18.47.54.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 18.47.54.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 33
Not sure if it is cost effective?

I am not sure if East Coast Binoculars would do it, you could ask.
They would do a good job, but not sure if they accept fungus optics.

If the fungus is only on the inside of the objectives you may be able to unscrew the barrels, marking carefully the position before unscrewing.
The front prism surfaces could also be cleaned very carefully.

It seems quite a lot of these binoculars have fungus. It is much better to buy one without fungus.

Regards,
B

Sorry Darrell and Pat, my mistake.

I was just watching Law and Order and realised that this Swift has a one piece American body.

This means the objectives need removing and recollimating is necessary.

It may be possible to mark the objectives and cell, as the objectives are probably cemented doublets.
Then carefully replace.

If the fungus is just on the objectives the view may be quite good as is.

But try East Coast Binoculars.

Or buy a good example.
I got a very good one for £15 at the charity shop with case.
It was sold for a low price partly because the original owner marked his postcode on the body.
But the view is very good.

Apologies.

Regards,
B.

will send them off to east coast binoculars who have confirmed they can clean and service them.

these are great binoculars but do need some attention re the fungus and stiff focus action but considering the age they look very nice as does the original case

That is good news.

I would keep the binocular out of the case as fungal spores may be in the case.

It could be packed in the case with a lot of padding when sending to the repairer, but when returned the binocular should be in a dry room in the open.

However, take the repairer's advice if different to mine.

Regards,
B.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back