• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Switzerland 2024 (1 Viewer)

Best day of the year..All birds are new for the Big Birding Year.
Where better to begin than Klingnauersee.
Weather overcast, wet and rather cold. Number of birds rather low but some 50 species heard or seen including Great Bittern, Goldeneye, Pintails, etc.
A great start to the New Year!
Have a good one!

Attachments

• IMG_7952.jpeg
    IMG_7952.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7921.jpeg
    IMG_7921.jpeg
    297.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7920.jpeg
    IMG_7920.jpeg
    407.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7927.jpeg
    IMG_7927.jpeg
    383.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7933.jpeg
    IMG_7933.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7947.jpeg
    IMG_7947.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 4
A few rareties reported:
  • Pine Bunting in TI
  • Common Diver in Grangettes, Freienbach and Altnau
  • Smew in Pfaffikersee and Inkwilersee
  • Horned Grebe in Greifensee and Jona
  • Ringed necked in Geneva
  • Great Black Back Gull in Rapperswil and Ermatinger Becken
  • Tundra Bean Goose in Fanel
I have a few hours in Grun80. Nice Mistle Thrushes and Fieldfares, Goosander and Dipper seen.
Ringed Teal (escapee) also present.

Attachments

• IMG_7965.jpeg
    IMG_7965.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7972.jpeg
    IMG_7972.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7964.jpeg
    IMG_7964.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 2
A cold and wet walk in local wood. All the usual suspects including Marsh, Blue, Great tits, Nuthatches, Jays, Short toed treecreepers, GS woodpecker and Green Woodpecker, Ravens, Rooks, Common Buzzards and Red Kites. Best birds of the day was a lesser spotted Woodpecker and Fieldfares.
Good to get away from the Christmas Table.IMG_3435.JPG

Last edited:
On a wet Winters day..time to think about the best sites to visit.
Todays Choice -Fanel.
Recently seen birds reported include:
  • Tundra Bean Geese
  • Smew
  • Black Winged Kite
  • Red Breasted Meganser
  • Goldeneyes
  • Whooper Swans
  • Velvet Scoters
  • Greater Scaup
  • Hen Harrier
  • Little Gull
  • Great Grey Shrike
And nearby are Crudefin and Krummi. I have seen some great birds there including Short Earled Owl, Pallid and Hen Harrier, Purple Heron, Red footed Falcon, Merlin and Little Owl.

Weather forecast not so good for next few days -Sigh

Latest report of Bird Rareties seen in 2022

Bird Report

Ref. Ornitho.ch

The first record of the Common Yellowthroat Geothlypis trichas, the second North American passerine observed in Switzerland, was the most important event of 2022. The first Swiss observation of the Moltoniʼs Warbler Sylvia subalpina in Ticino was more anticipated. The second record of Blue-cheeked Bee-eater Merops persicus, the third record of a wild Saker Falco cherrug, Pacific Golden Plover Pluvialis fulva and Dusky Warbler Phylloscopus fuscatushave been reported. The fourth to seventh records of Bonelliʼs Eagle Aquila fasciata were revealed by the GPS positions of their transmitters (none were observed in the field). An unprecedented influx of Pallas’s Leaf Warbler Phylloscopus proregulus produced the fifth to seventh records in our country and an invasion of young European Rollers Coracias garrulus occurred at the end of summer with at least 51 individuals. The twelfth Terek Sandpiper Xenus cinereus for Switzerland (the first record at Lake Geneva since 1875) and the eleventh Great Spotted Cuckoo Clamator glandarius (the last record dating from 2010) were observed. Finally, two new colonies of Pallid Swift Apuspallidus were discovered outside Ticino, in Brig and Geneva, and the ninth breeding record of Subalpine Warbler Sylvia cantillans was recorded.

Good birding in 2024 to my Swiss neighbours!
I had my Tourist Guide hat on last Wednesday 3rd Jan, taking the visiting New Zealand branch of the family around Geneva, so I didn't even have my bins with me o_O. I wondered about suggesting a pleasant walk along the lake shore to 'accidentally' come across the wintering Turnstone and Spotted Sandpiper but the mezze in the Parfums de Beyrouth was calling us so missed out there. Still, a singing male Black Redstart on the St Pierre Cathédrale and a Red Kite flying overhead were nice surprises.
Still at least 13 Pygmy Cormorants in the country at three different sites.

Let's talk about Geneva Birding...I used to go to UN/ WHO meetings there and took the time to visit birding sites on the lake or at Marais de Sionett

Geneva

Recently reported birds in the area include:
  • Ringed necked Duck
  • Turnstone
  • Pygmy Cormorant
  • Spotted Sandpiper
  • Cettis Warbler
Best place for Common Pheasant as well

More winter birds reported:
  • Common Diver in Grangettes, Preverenges, Wollishofen
  • Smew reported in Pfaffikersee and Fanel
  • Ringed necked Duck in Geneva and Dullive
  • Horned Grebe in Lugano, Greifensee, Wollishofen and Altnau
  • Greater Scaups in Arbon and Stein am Rhein
and the most interesting is Glaucous Gull in Staubecken Germany.

In Geneva area rareties such as Ruddy Turnstone and Cetti Warblers have been seen.
I see them most days in Mallorca
Typisch!
I should have stayed!

Attachments

• 35545344_Unknown.jpeg
    35545344_Unknown.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 35545392_Unknown.jpeg
    35545392_Unknown.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
Still being reported in Zurich area.. Katzensee

I looked at the observations, to see if it was worth going this afternoon. Both observations in Zurich are heard only though .... seems they are not really sticking around at a single place for now. Also, the weather got a lot warmer, so they might move north again?

I looked at the observations, to see if it was worth going this afternoon. Both observations in Zurich are heard only though .... seems they are not really sticking around at a single place for now. Also, the weather got a lot warmer, so they might move north again?
Not necessarily Frank, Waxwing movements are mostly food, rather than weather related. They have been slowly progressing southward through W. Europe for a few months now on their berry search
( of course in the old days they would be here in France in greater numbers on a beret search, but we tend to wear wooly hats these days in the Alps ;) ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back