• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Switzerland 2024 (1 Viewer)

Collared Fly is a nice one! I would probably make an effort for that as it’s an easy bike ride but I doubt it’ll be there until I’m home in a few days.

Meanwhile preparing to come home to winter again…

Yipes..what a cold day!
Went with friends to Klingnauersee. Grey, cold and wet.
Just dipped on the Pied Avocet, as well as Hobby, Osprey and Marsh Harriers while drinking warming Coffee!
Some 50 species seen or heard included first Swift, Garden Warblers, Savi Warblers, Reed Warblers, etc.
A White Cheeked Pintail was also seen.
Felt sorry for the poor Barn Swallows.
Weather still predicted to be cold for next few days.

Attachments

• IMG_9925.jpeg
    IMG_9925.jpeg
    250.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9921.jpeg
    IMG_9921.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9919.jpeg
    IMG_9919.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9913.jpeg
    IMG_9913.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 2
Now I have Warmed up and had a beer, I can turn to the bird of the day:
  • Montagu Harrier
Several reported today including at Malans, Zizers, and Kaltbrunner Riet.
Keeps your eyes open...Hobby and Red footed Falcons also reported at various locations!

Sunday playing Hide and Seek at Sionnet (GE)

As my wife insisted on going down to Geneva to work despite being ill, I in turn insisted on being her chauffeur there and back last Sunday (21st April), giving me several hours to bird in the general area. After several days of snow showers, biting winds and frost which had stalled migration at home in the Alps it was bound to be almost summer down there…. Hmmm, well, at 07h15 with the temp gauge in the car showing 0.5C I arrived at Sionnet, the wetland oasis just east of the city, at least there was no cold wind blowing though I was glad I’d put on the thermal long johns😊

The calm conditions enabled me to easily hear various songsters in the bushes, trees and reeds and I spent a happy few hours as the musical passerines played cache-cache with me. Several species that I never or hardly ever see at home too, good to get my eye (and ear) in again. I took my recently received Nikon present with me and it coped pretty well focusing on some of the reedbed songsters. Highlights were Chiffchaff, Willow, Great Reed, Reed, Savi’s and Sedge Warblers (the last one heard only), Common (Greater) Whitethroat, Nightingale, Stonechat, Skylark and Corn Bunting, a real birdy symphony! A pair of Cuckoo arrived noisily in the high branches of a tree, the female a hepatic (brown) form which is often the case at this site, I managed a photo of the male only of course :rolleyes: . It’s a place well worth visiting, particularly in Winter and Spring, weekends it can get very busy, but between my arrival at 09h00 it was free of the cyclists, joggers and dogs that can make birding less pleasant during the rest of the day. Wildfowl and waders were in short supply and by mid-April the reeds already obscure the view of the open water areas anyway, earlier in Spring can be better for these groups, plus Bluethroat is annual in March/April. Being so cold, the raptor and hirundine action was limited to Black Kite, Buzzard, Kestrel, Peregrine and a Marsh Harrier I managed to miss, by 10h30 just 3 Barn Swallows had passed, at a site that can attract big groups on warmer days. I had a look around a nearby vineyard and fallow fields for more uncommon passage possibilities, Tawny Pipit was my target, but all I managed was a Brown Hare (as Murphy’s Law dictates, someone had THREE Tawny P the next day, c’est la vie!). After a brief scan of a virtually birdless portion of Lac Léman from the nearest shoreline to Sionnet I decided to head west to the dam at Verbois on the Rhône. Mike (Bittern on here) was heading on foot to the same spot and we arrived simultaneously at this rather scruffy location, scruffy due to all the detritus that washes down the river to form floating masses of branches and plastic piled up against the dam. Due to a general lack of wader habitat in the area these masses of floating rubbish regularly attract them but there were just two Common Sandpiper on view on this visit plus good numbers of Swallow and Sand Martin, a few Swift and a single House Martin nearby. The overwintering Pygmy Cormorants left a few weeks ago and the Common Terns hadn’t yet arrived but a Grey Wagtail was collecting food for its young. At nearby Peney Dessous there was no sign of the four Night Heron Mike had seen a week or so previously but I was glad we checked there as a year tick Kingfisher shot across the water as we were scanning. This location has seen a late Spring male Smew tarrying in recent years so is well worth checking even into May.

With the rain approaching I squeezed in a visit to Les Allues, a mixture of farmland and bushes plus some set aside . In one of the fields are two depressions which still held water, a single Little Ringed Plover gave me a two wader species day (until now my only wader in 2024 was Common Snipe, how embarrassing!). A Wryneck called before flying past me and far away and a Cirl Bunting was singing (if you can call it singing that is…). Melodious Warbler, Red -backed Shrike and Common Whitethroat will soon be arriving at this location but a pair of Stonechat were the only birds in the set aside area on this occasion.

All in all a good smash and grab raid to the plain before we returned home, arriving in a blizzard of course!
Photos attached of a few of my hide and seek friends at Sionnet.

Attachments

• Rousser turdo.JPG
    Rousser turdo.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 5
  • Rousser eff 2.JPG
    Rousser eff 2.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 7
  • rossi2.jpg
    rossi2.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 7
  • savi3.jpg
    savi3.jpg
    859.8 KB · Views: 6
Hope you have recovered Richard.
Still cold in Basel region..I wait for the sun!
Bird of the day is
  • Audouins Gull
Several sightings including Preverenges and St. Sulpice.
This wonderful bird is common in Mallorca, so I couldnt resist to include some of my photos from there.
What a great bird.
Question…name 3 other red billed Gulls around the world?

Attachments

• 38802496_Unknown.jpeg
    38802496_Unknown.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 39340272_Unknown.jpeg
    39340272_Unknown.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6779.jpeg
    IMG_6779.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2478.jpeg
    IMG_2478.jpeg
    219.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7453.jpeg
    IMG_7453.jpeg
    288.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5900.jpeg
    IMG_5900.jpeg
    307.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5586.jpeg
    IMG_5586.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2618.jpeg
    IMG_2618.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2460.jpeg
    IMG_2460.jpeg
    344 KB · Views: 1
With friends we avoided the rain and headed to Inkwilersee and Augst.
Some 50 species seen or heard.
Night heron was one of the stars of today.
Penduline tits and Red backed Shrikes were reported at Inkwilersee but we failed to see them.
Also dipped on the Red rumped Swallow at Augst.
However, it was a great day out..blue skies and NO rain!

Attachments

• IMG_9968.jpeg
    IMG_9968.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9950.jpeg
    IMG_9950.jpeg
    243.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9948.jpeg
    IMG_9948.jpeg
    501.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9952.jpeg
    IMG_9952.jpeg