• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tarts tick.... (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jane Turner said:
The reason I have avoided Rose-coloured Starling all this time is to avoid a Tart's Tick.
The same is true of Purple Heron!

Its one of the sad fact of life that there are many more derrogatory terms applied to women than men. A bit of a lad's tick doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

Another good reason for avoiding Rosy Starlings is to avoid ticking a Pink Stink or Fawn Yawn, which also demonstrates the lack of malice in the use of derogatory terms by birders.

I think the reason there may be fewer anti-lad terms is just that they have less effect, and trying to rile a target that either doesn't bite at all or treats your comment as a compliment (I have certainly seen "you sick b*****d" so treated) lacks the fun factor. To some, that is - I disclaim involvement!

John

halftwo said:
Sancho,
What a lot of questions!!
I think that the definition(s) I gave people have misread & actually we're all in agreement that a tart's tick is just an easy to get bird. BUT that is as always taken to its (il)logical conclusion & hyperbole tends to set in; so the term is deliberately misused to take the p**s. This happened in the pub tonight when it became apparent that one of the birders needed Bufflehead. We said that it was a tart's tick (of course it isn't - it was just that he was the only one there that still needed it!)- which is what I was alluding to in my first thread.
To answer the last question: no Phoebe S is no longer the biggest lister, as she can't keep up with living souls, there have been a couple that have overtaken her fantastic total.
Halftwo
Thanks Halftwo for the explanation, and the info re. Phoebe being overtaken. I think I´ll just avoid the "tart´s tick" term, I don´t think anyone here would know what I was talking about (I usually don´t myself). Happy Birding weekend!

Farnboro John said:
Agree: my big tart is still Lanceolated Warbler and another year has gone past without it giving itself up easily!

John
A bogey, maybe, and a birdy, though not an eagle, nor a tart, unless presented in a pastry case, nor a blocker, unless ingested whole maybe. Not even a tart's tick. Unless hyperbole being employed, along with derisive quips like 'you low-lister' etc. Think that's sorted now.........

I always thought there were two explanations of tart's tick:-

1. A rare bird that gives itself up very easily - no fieldcraft is needed to see it, it just swans around in front of you.
2. A rare bird that's so easy even a female birdwatcher could see it.

Incidentally you do see people who swap and change their mortgage frequently in order to get the lowest rate described as "mortgage tarts".

PaulD said:
Incidentally you do see people who swap and change their mortgage frequently in order to get the lowest rate described as "mortgage tarts".
And anglers who must have the latest bit of kit, maintain it with fastidious care, then bin it when the new version comes out, are called 'Tackle Tarts'. I kid you not!

Gavin Haig said:
And anglers who must have the latest bit of kit, maintain it with fastidious care, then bin it when the new version comes out, are called 'Tackle Tarts'. I kid you not!
same with people who have to get the latest phones they are called mobile tarts, i kid you :bounce:

Mike Pennington said:
THis is the correct definition IMO, and most people seem to agree.

What is being confused is what the word 'tart' means here and AFAIW it means someone who is 'a bit soft' or 'a bit pathetic' and has nothing to do with the other meaning, which can only apply to women.

I never heard 'tarts tick' used for any other meaning then this and I would agree that it means soft rather than promiscous or charging for sex.

Incidently I have frequently heard the word 'tart' meaning promiscous applied to men, although I would agree that it is more frequently applied to women.

Steve

I first heard ´tarts tick´used in the early 80´s, normally when someone brought a female friend on a trip and they would point out every Blue tit or Robin in sight you heard the comment `tarts tick´from the hardliner birders. I for one have never underestimated the skill of female birders and go as far to say they recognise bird song and jizz sometimes better and faster than their male counterparts and they definatly appreciate the beauty of birds more than men!!.

Trooper

trooper said:
I first heard ´tarts tick´used in the early 80´s, normally when someone brought a female friend on a trip and they would point out every Blue tit or Robin in sight you heard the comment `tarts tick´from the hardliner birders. I for one have never underestimated the skill of female birders and go as far to say they recognise bird song and jizz sometimes better and faster than their male counterparts and they definatly appreciate the beauty of birds more than men!!.

Trooper
If you've got a working pair of eyes and a working pair of ears - you can see and hear birds. Gender isn't relevant (unless you're trying to get onto a pipistrelle bat by sonics - women may get a little closer, but they're still gonna miss it!)

Hearing

My partner (female) is especially good at high pitch calls and can hear 'crests' and bats when I can hear nothing, however she is rubbish at carrying the Tripod/Scope and is usually worn out after only a few hours. (I'm joking ok, I wouldn't let anyone carry my scope until I've paid for it) also a joke!!
Merlin

timwootton said:
If you've got a working pair of eyes and a working pair of ears - you can see and hear birds. Gender isn't relevant (unless you're trying to get onto a pipistrelle bat by sonics - women may get a little closer, but they're still gonna miss it!)

I'm with PaulD definition #1 - I thought it was a sighting of a rareish bird which took very little effort because it was so obvious or it had been staked out - such as Sammy the Stilt at Titchwell which was an easy tick for a year list.

Always thought "tart's tick" was basically the same as "boy's tick" or even "small boy's tick" i.e. a new bird that should have been seen long ago. Don't think "tart's tick" is sexist in any way - certainly not how I've heard it used. Birder's often used it on themselves when "confessing " to seeing something new that they themselves thought they should already have on their list.

cheshirebirder said:
Always thought "tart's tick" was basically the same as "boy's tick" or even "small boy's tick" i.e. a new bird that should have been seen long ago. Don't think "tart's tick" is sexist in any way - certainly not how I've heard it used. Birder's often used it on themselves when "confessing " to seeing something new that they themselves thought they should already have on their list.

Just because its not intended as a sexist remark, it doesn't mean its not sexist. One of the principle recommendations of the Stephen Lawrenson Inquiry Report was that a racist incident is defined as an incident that is perceived as being racist by the victim or by any other person. The same can clearly be applied to other forms of discriminatory language, so if you use the term 'tarts tick' in front of people that you don't know and who don't know exactly what you mean by it, there is every possibility that you couild casue offence.

Last edited:
Well I find your nickname a lot more offensive than the term tart's tick, as it implies you enjoy bird-eating and mouse-killing!

Add appropriate smilies.

Bernard the cat said:
Just because its not intended as a sexist remark, it doesn't mean its not sexist. One of the principle recommendations of the Stephen Lawrenson Inquiry Report was that a racist incident is defined as an incident that is perceived as being racist by the victim or by any other person. The same can clearly be applied to other forms of discriminatory language, so if you use the term 'tarts tick' in front of people that you don't know and who don't know exactly what you mean by it, there is every possibility that you couild casue offence.

Tart while being widely known as a prostitute has had its meaning corrupted in many places to mean various things i.e. Jammy sod, useless etc.

Bernard the cat said:

You really mean that ? Get a life.

cheshirebirder said:
You really mean that ? Get a life.

Clearly a very intelligent and well thought out comeback, though not altogether unexpected given my experience of certain Birdforum users.

I'm not trying to say that using the term 'tarts tick' is akin to using racist language, just making the point that, whatever the intention behind the phrase, it is possible that some women could find it offensive, as it clearly has undertones that contribute to a negative stereotype of women (i.e as 'daft bints' etc). I grew up in working class Essex and use the word 'bird' all the time (i.e. to refer to women), though I'm also aware that not all women would appreciate this term, so I'm careful who I say it in front of, partly because I don't want them to think I'm a sexist idiot. Having said that, I also think there's an obligation on people to appeciate that what is offensive to some people is just tongue-in-cheek or a harmless joke to others.

At the end of the day it's about being sensitive to and respectful of others, and if that means I haven't got a 'life' then so be it.

Hotspur said:
Tart while being widely known as a prostitute has had its meaning corrupted in many places to mean various things i.e. Jammy sod, useless etc.

It means different things to different people, which is exactly the point I'm making.

Xenospiza said:
Well I find your nickname a lot more offensive than the term tart's tick, as it implies you enjoy bird-eating and mouse-killing!

Add appropriate smilies.

I have also been known to cough up fur balls, and whenever I go near the children's sand pit... :bounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back