• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The new ZEISS SFL 30 binoculars (1 Viewer)

The only time I find a wider FoV useful is in counting flocks of fast moving birds, but that's possibly because the vast majority of my birding is done in a wide open landscape so it tends to be focusing in on something you can see with the naked eye (even better FoV ;-)). I can imagine if you're birding typically tends to be close range in dense cover a wider FoV is a big advantage, but for me it's a nice to have rather than something I would ever stick near the top of my priority list. To be honest providing there's a decently large sweet spot, sharp edges are a luxury rather than need. Rolling ball doesn't worry me but obvious CA really annoys me. Balance is much more important than weight too, and with large hands nothing too small/fiddly. It's a good job there's plenty of choice out there for differing priorities and budgets.

Slightly heavier than a Monarch HG. I wonder how they will compare optically.
I tried out the SFL 8x40, certainly a high end alpha like bino. My impression was its a clear step down from the EL, SF and NL. I only had about a half hour comparing them to a few other binoculars in and outside B&H in manhattan. But it was enough to get a feeling compared to the others. I think these are are quite a step up from MHG and conquest level, closer to SLC and Ultravid ,except for the build quality. I had problems witht the MHG 30’s with eye placement , to much work every time i put them up to my eyes to get the right position not to get kidney beaning. These 30’s , if the ergos are nice could be a game changer with easy eye box, great bright high end optics with a great focuser and 16oz.

I tried out the SFL 8x40, certainly a high end alpha like bino. My impression was its a clear step down from the EL, SF and NL. I only had about a half hour comparing them to a few other binoculars in and outside B&H in manhattan. But it was enough to get a feeling compared to the others. I think these are are quite a step up from MHG and conquest level, closer to SLC and Ultravid ,except for the build quality. I had problems witht the MHG 30’s with eye placement , to much work every time i put them up to my eyes to get the right position not to get kidney beaning. These 30’s , if the ergos are nice could be a game changer with easy eye box, great bright high end optics with a great focuser and 16oz.
Exactly my impression of the SFL 8x40. That is the reason I sold mine and kept the NL 8x32. I agree the SFL is a step up from the MHG and Conquest HD for sure. I had the same problem with the MHG 30s with eye placement also, and that is the big reason I never cared for them. In fact, I have never found a 30 mm I love outside of maybe the E2 and Habicht because of the smaller EP. It will be interesting to see if Zeiss does anything with the eye box design on the SFL 8x30 to improve the eye placement comfort. The SFL 8x30 should be a nice compact, but it won't replace my NL 8x32 because of the smaller FOV.

The only time I find a wider FoV useful is in counting flocks of fast moving birds, but that's possibly because the vast majority of my birding is done in a wide open landscape so it tends to be focusing in on something you can see with the naked eye (even better FoV ;-)). I can imagine if you're birding typically tends to be close range in dense cover a wider FoV is a big advantage, but for me it's a nice to have rather than something I would ever stick near the top of my priority list. To be honest providing there's a decently large sweet spot, sharp edges are a luxury rather than need. Rolling ball doesn't worry me but obvious CA really annoys me. Balance is much more important than weight too, and with large hands nothing too small/fiddly. It's a good job there's plenty of choice out there for differing priorities and budgets.
If you can have it all and your budget allows, then why not? You pay a lot of difference to get the huge FOV and sharp edges of an NL, but it is advantageous, especially in open country, and it no doubt makes it easier to spot birds.

The transmission has edged up too, I believe NL's are listed at 91%, SF's at 92%. EL's and SFL's at 90%. For me the transmission % is a proxy for overall cleanliness and sharpness of the optics. Maybe they spent more on coatings & glass and eked out slightly better performance.

The Zeiss FL's had big FOV's and very high transmission, but the edge sharpness isn't as good as the SF's apparently.
You're right. The NL and SF are cleaner and slightly sharper than the previous generation of FL's and EL's. I am sure they improved the coatings and maybe the glass. The FL was very sharp on-axis, though, and it controlled CA superbly with its fluorite glass.

If you can have it all and your budget allows, then why not? You pay a lot of difference to get the huge FOV and sharp edges of an NL, but it is advantageous, especially in open country, and it no doubt makes it easier to spot birds.
I've tried the 10x32 NLs and yes they're excellent, but my EL 8x32 and 10x32 were less than half the price of the NL equivalents and for me the extra FoV didn't warrant double the cost - yes optically the NLs are marginally better, but it took significant effort to spot any difference beyond the FoV. I also looked at SFs, but they felt a sideways step rather than a step up from the ELs, marginally better in the centre but marginally a step down at the edges. Now if budget ever allows the NL 12x42 still tempts me...

I might try the SFLs at somepoint but I doubt they'll offer any improvements for my needs.

I've never thought - 'the existing 8x32 offerings are too heavy/bulky, what I want is a lighter option that's close to the best' but possibly some people have. I thought the Conquest 8x32s were optically very good for the price (not SF/EL level but very decent) - it will be interesting to see where the SFLs fall.
I’ve thought this exact thing. NL,SF,SLC are HEAVY. Coming from my 8x30 SLC what I want is better image, closer focus, and less weight. I’ve never thought “gosh, I wish I had another 8 ounces around my neck”

It’s always a trade off. I’ll trade some weight for some FOV. It’s not like the FOV is even narrow. It’s just not as massive as the big two

I've tried the 10x32 NLs and yes they're excellent, but my EL 8x32 and 10x32 were less than half the price of the NL equivalents and for me the extra FoV didn't warrant double the cost - yes optically the NLs are marginally better, but it took significant effort to spot any difference beyond the FoV. I also looked at SFs, but they felt a sideways step rather than a step up from the ELs, marginally better in the centre but marginally a step down at the edges. Now if budget ever allows the NL 12x42 still tempts me...

I might try the SFLs at somepoint but I doubt they'll offer any improvements for my needs.
The SFL won't offer any optical improvement over the EL outside of weight and size. Optically, the EL will be better.

The FL's don't have near as big of a FOV as the SF or NL. If you want a big FOV you get an SF or NL. If you want a big FOV with the sharpest edges, you get an NL. If you want the lightest and smallest NL with the least glare, you get the NL 8x32.
I was looking at the 8x32 FL's which are 8 degree FOV, seems wide, but yeah, now even the Monarch HG's are wider.

I consider the SF's pretty light at 27 ounces. The EDG 42's are also 27. Seems like you give up something in the focuser to go lighter w/ the SFL and MHG's. We were just talking about this over the weekend on my club outing - how all of today's binos are light compared to 15-20 years ago. One woman with 8x42 NL's on a neck strap said she upgraded from older Leicas that felt like a brick in comparison.

I’ve thought this exact thing. NL,SF,SLC are HEAVY. Coming from my 8x30 SLC what I want is better image, closer focus, and less weight. I’ve never thought “gosh, I wish I had another 8 ounces around my neck”

It’s always a trade off. I’ll trade some weight for some FOV. It’s not like the FOV is even narrow. It’s just not as massive as the big two

You may want to have a look at the Rick Young harness. It has changed my mind about selling off my 8x42 NLs.

I don't always agree with Dennis, but in this case he's probably right. It's unlikely that Zeiss will have produced a binocular that optically performs better than SF/EL level for less than they sell SFs...

Based on the 8x40SFL, I completely disagree. Of course we will have to wait until the 8x30 is out.

and likely wrong.
Think about it. The EL 8x32 was Swarovski's alpha and sold for over $2200 when it was new, and it has tack sharp edges with their best glass and coatings. The SFL 8x30 is not Zeiss's alpha, the SF is. The SFL is a step-down from the SF. The SF competes with the EL more closely, or now the NL. If you can pick up an EL 8x32 for $1200 it is still a better deal or even an SF for less than $1500.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back