• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The new ZEISS SFL Binoculars. Maximum Image Quality. Minimum Weight. (1 Viewer)

Interesting that Ambassador Stephen also packs a thermal (?DTI), certainly a game changer when it comes to finding stuff. Having a premium quantity (though slightly lower spec) bin for a lower price point is welcome, though there are still plenty of other good sub-alpha options out there. I prefer 8x30 for lightness.

Peter

Interesting that they are 8x40 and also weigh 640gm (published data, someone will need to confirm) which is pretty much exactly the same as Retrovid 8x40's!
Of course the physical package will still be different but does anyone recall if Retro 8x40's have been measured for transmissivity?

Interesting that they are 8x40 and also weigh 640gm (published data, someone will need to confirm) which is pretty much exactly the same as Retrovid 8x40's!
Of course the physical package will still be different but does anyone recall if Retro 8x40's have been measured for transmissivity?
No but the Reetrovid 7x35 (2020 model) was tested by our good friend Gijs van Ginkel at 92% at 550Nm.

Lee

Maybe you’re right. There is wisdom in that. Saves some money for sure. But I also don’t mind too much being a guinea pig.
I pre-ordered the cerrent generation of the victory pockets. they were great, but i didn’t keep them. Also, I pre-ordered the Swarovski NLs, which I still have and use a lot. I might sell them. Someone has to take the loss for the used market to exist.
I should at least think it over a bit more since I have the time.
Sometimes it is fun to be the guinea pig!

Sometimes it is fun to be the guinea pig!
I absolutely agree. Plus I just like trying new binoculars. I’m sure you understand.
Last time I pre-ordered a pair of Zeiss binoculars my order took a long time. My victory pockets were delayed by a couple months. If I remember correctly Zeiss was late with their roll out. Now I know, and if do order a pair i won’t hold my breath.
Alternatively when l pre-ordered my NLs they were shipped almost exactly when Swarovski said they would be.

SFLs for old bones and eyes

My SW 8.5x42ELs have been my best all around binoculars, but they have been increasing uncomfortable on my neck
(bino harness helps but is more inconvenient to use) and I have been using my Zeiss FL 8x32 more.
Increasing cataracts, and my reluctance to surgery, have made viewing more difficult. The SFLs may be the solution.
I have on order the Kowa BD11 8x40s as a trial to help with both issues. This is a cheaper option but lessor quality optics.
Hopefully the Kowas will be adequate but I am following this thread with interest.

edj

Is an 8x30 likely, most alpha 8x32 bins are quite bulky so something around the size of the old 8x32 fl would be welcomed by many!

Matt

SFLs for old bones and eyes

My SW 8.5x42ELs have been my best all around binoculars, but they have been increasing uncomfortable on my neck
(bino harness helps but is more inconvenient to use) and I have been using my Zeiss FL 8x32 more.
Increasing cataracts, and my reluctance to surgery, have made viewing more difficult. The SFLs may be the solution.
I have on order the Kowa BD11 8x40s as a trial to help with both issues. This is a cheaper option but lessor quality optics.
Hopefully the Kowas will be adequate but I am following this thread with interest.

edj
I carry the 8.5X42 and 10X50 SV's bandolier style and there is zero discomfort. I use the older fully-adjustable Swarovski straps.

Increasing cataracts, and my reluctance to surgery, have made viewing more difficult.

edj
Cataract surgery, if you have a competent ophthalmologist, may be the single best thing you have ever done, assuming no other complicating health factors.

I would advise you to rethink that. You will be able to see like a child again, if your retinas are in good shape.

There is no way that changing optics can offset the effects of cataracts.

I will wait for an unbiased opinion regarding these, specifically the optics. Build quality wise I cannot see them being any better than the SF.

I will wait for an unbiased opinion regarding these, specifically the optics. Build quality wise I cannot see them being any better than the SF.
Absolutely. I expect to receive a unit for review some time in May and will take it to North Uist in the Western Isles for 3 weeks and report on it during late July. It will get thoroughly exercised in all kinds of rugged habitats.

Lee

Someone outside of Birdforum is what I meant with no affiliation with Zeiss.
Well, I am not an employee of Birdforum so do not receive (nor would I accept) any 'guidance' about what I post on here.
A few weeks ago I posted a comparison of Swaro's NL 8x32 with Zeiss's SF 8x32 (Swarovski NL vs Zeiss SF: a personal comparison of two 8x32s. ) and in this I pointed out that the NL was brighter and had more adjustable eyecups than the Zeiss. In a few weeks' time I will be posting a full review of the NL following field work on Islay.

Lee

Absolutely. I expect to receive a unit for review some time in May and will take it to North Uist in the Western Isles for 3 weeks and report on it during late July. It will get thoroughly exercised in all kinds of rugged habitats.

Lee

Now that is a review I look forwards to.

North Uist is one insanely beautiful but demanding testing ground.

Lee,

It is not personal, but most reviews of glass I read that I am interested in are from outside of Birdforum now, including others nearby me who give me insights prior to me actually using them, before any potential purchase.

I do like the photos.

Lee,

It is not personal, but most reviews of glass I read that I am interested in are from outside of Birdforum now, including others nearby me who give me insights prior to me actually using them, before any potential purchase.

I do like the photos.
A range of opinions is always a good thing. Enjoy your binos in good health.

Lee

Well, I am not an employee of Birdforum so do not receive (nor would I accept) any 'guidance' about what I post on here.
A few weeks ago I posted a comparison of Swaro's NL 8x32 with Zeiss's SF 8x32 (Swarovski NL vs Zeiss SF: a personal comparison of two 8x32s. ) and in this I pointed out that the NL was brighter and had more adjustable eyecups than the Zeiss. In a few weeks' time I will be posting a full review of the NL following field work on Islay.

Lee
Yay Lee! Been looking forward to that Islay NL/SF 32 re-report.

G'Tom

Yay Lee! Been looking forward to that Islay NL/SF 32 re-report.

G'Tom
Hey Tom. The review will be mainly about the NL rather than a detailed comparison. SF 32 has had plenty of exposure on Birdforum and I want to give the NL the best shot to show what it can do.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back