• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Traveling to England...any bird lists for us? (2 Viewers)

rjb25073 said:
If you are driving to the Costwolds then Chris' suggestion re Red Kites is a very good one. Just drive up the M40 from London and look around High Wycombe or Stokenchurch (further south than Oxford), you are virtually guaranteed a siting from the motorway and if the weather is good you can have a drive around the local area and will have an excellent chance of really good views.

Have a great holiday,
Richard

But if you are driving up the M40 or any other motorway, keep an eye on the road as well - you might find that the traffic is a bit faster than North American speed limits and a bit of concentration on the driving is required. However, I think you will have a good birding holiday.

As you are only visit inland UK I think lugging the Collins guide around would be unnecessary and potentially confusing. There are literally hundreds of species in that book that you stand no chance of running into. Go for a more compact book covering the commoner british birds.

From memory these are good:
The Rspb Guide to British Birds ISBN 0333907515
Mitchell Beazley Pocket Guide to Garden Bird ISBN 1840002700

Others may have better suggestions and there might be US versions. I see the shipping times are poor for the ones I've suggested.

Marcus Lawson said:
Blimey guv'nor (getting you used to the London lingo ;) ), if you are lucky enough to find BC Night Heron or Great Egret then please make sure you log onto here whilst still in town to report them as they are rather rare in these parts.

Went and saw a BC Night Heron at Weirwood Reservoir in Sussex last night (two miles south of East Grinstead).

Unless you're extremely lucky, you won't get Great Egret, Night Heron, or Northern (Hen) Harrier. No probs with Starling though. Oh, and House Sparrow is almost a rarity in London!

lmhall2000 said:
If any of you could suggest a few birds he might be on the lookout for..please list them and I'll make a complete list for him. Thanks so much for your help!! It'll make this a trip for all of us to remember!
Tara

You should have no trouble seeing Lapwings in good numbers at any wetland site at this time of year.....

Good luck,

Dave J

Attachments

• Lapwing.jpg
    Lapwing.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 98
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back