• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

U.p. (1 Viewer)

kjh

I have recently moved to the U.P. of Michigan - Iron Mountain area - from New Mexico. Yet to find any fellow birders or birding organizations up here. My birding do date has been very limited, most to my small yard. But while out driving I did see a Pileated woodpecker and common ravens. Here is the list of what I have seen in my and my neigbhor's yard:

Rock doves
mourning doves
starlings
american crows
white breasted nutchatch
black-capped chickadees
juncos
blue jays
pine grossbeaks
down woodpecker
hairy woodpecker

Happy birding

Karen

Karen, I be awfully interested in seeing a Raven, for sure!

Since you've not found any local birding groups here's two thoughts:

1. WE'LL be your birding group!! We'll enjoy reading about your birds.

2. Think about starting one yourself. I'll bet you'd be surprised at how many might show up if you tried to hold a meeting to gauge interest in your area.

An intercontinental comparison from white winter of Hauho, Finland:
Pileated woodpecker - one Dryocopus martius around here
common ravens - same species here
Rock doves - same species in nearby town
mourning doves - -
starlings - hasn't come yet
american crows - Corvus corone here
white breasted nutchatch - no Sitta europaea on my yard
black-capped chickadees - Parus montanus (+caeruleus, major & ater) plenty
juncos - Carduelis chloris & Acanthis flammea, latter in flocks
blue jays - Garrulus glandarius one pair; some Pica picas
pine grossbeaks - not observed
down woodpecker - Dendrocopos minor hasn't arrived yet
hairy woodpecker - D. major here & there

March update & Bear in Eagle nest

It has taken me a bit to get back to this forum and was very pleased with the replies that I received. The suggestions are excellent and the intercontinental comparision interesting. I find it amazing the similar birds that are found so far apart in this world of ours.

During the month of March 2004 I have seen some new visitors to my feeding station. The red squirrel I saw probably comes more often, but so far I have seen it only once. My "big" bird sightings this month has been a common redpoll and an American tree sparrow.

In the 03/22/2004 issue of the Iron Mountain, MI's newspaper, The Daily News, was an article about an event that is taking place in the area of Hayward, Wisconsin in the Chippewa Flowage. A couple out for a walk happen to notice something in an eagle's nest at the top of a 45 foot aspen. The next day (01/01/2004) one of them returned with a camera and climbed a neighboring tree and identified the object as a hibernating bear. He return again a few weeks ago and "saw three eagles in the area, including one perched about 10 feet away from the nest." They did report this to the Department of Natural Resources (DNR), who said that the reason the bear took to the tree was because it may been disturbed in the past while hibernating in normal locations. DNR wildlife biologist said that they could remember one other documented instance of a bear hibernating in a tree in Wisconsin that took place in 2002 on the St Croix Flowage near Gordon in Douglas County.

Another interesting critter event that took recently happen in lower Michigan's thumb area where a wolverine was spotted, and photographed, for the first time in around 100 years. Well, it was the first reported sighting in the time. After that report came out then a number of other people started reported their sightings over the past years. It seems that the officials some time back had declared that there were no more wolverines in Michigan and people stopped reporting their sights to avoid ridicule. I was totaly unaware of this situtation. Back around circa 1960, my brother and I saw a wolverine up in a tree near Tim's Lake, which is near Pembine, Wisconsin and is 20 -/+ miles from the Michigan border. It is a shame that there are those who are "in the know" that are so quick to ridicule the sightings of the general public, causing the public to avoid exposure to such treatment, and thus keeping facts from being shared. We had similar experience back in New Mexico with an expert in Albuquerque that would deny our sightings even if it was witnessed by several experienced birders and documented.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back