• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Uk400club 'list Of Lists' Etc Etc (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can think of three reasons, I'll give you one and see if others can get any more.

1. how do we know if "flying frog" is john smith as he says?, he could be Cloudesley Shovell (I think that name is fabulous) seafarer I believe.

2. they don't want to be identified because their boss might realise why they weren't at work last Tuesday ?
( by the way, the only reason I don't use my name is because when I signed up ,I stupidly got the impression that's what everyone on here did !! Retired these days too ,so No.2 doesn't apply to me ). Bill Turner (not on Lee's list )
By the way, I can't think of any point in keeping any list that's full of errors and missing many participents.Why doesn't he just keep a list of ,say,the top 50 -which would probably be possible to validate and therefore have some credibility.

Last edited:
A question for the Mods. Is there any reason why members are not required to give their name? It would be nice to know who one is talking to. Couldn't people have their 'tag' and their name ?
Just a thought

Johnny here is my post from yesterday, and my name is at the bottom.

There is only one solution.
Lee why don't you just remove everyone from the list and start again. For anyone who wants to be on there, then let them resubmit their up-to-date total. After each new bird they see, let them let you know for you to update. For those people that do not wish to be included then so be it. If they then complain that they are not on the list, well its up to them to give it to you. You will obviously get jip off some of the top listers for not being including and calling your list a fake and a sham, but from the posts on here that is what some of them want.
But you can't really have unwilling participants, its about the fun aspect of birding there are no prizes for the winner because there will never be a winner as its a fluid situation without an end. Your new List might not be the Premier league of birding, but there's nout wrong with the Championship (being a Birmingham City fan ..I would know about that).

John Belsey (cuddy)

Been out of the loop all day so just catching up with what has been said in my absence and to just address a few things....

Johnny Allan and Black Kite 1964 - please continue with your activities offline and do not bore the rest of us with your tittle-tattle - you are both hypocrites in what you say, so let's just leave it at that - and agree to differ.

Paul Chapman - excellent deduction and very pleased that you confirmed that at least one of my totals is bang on the money - nice to see a productive and interesting post

John Belsey and old comrades of 70's/80's twitches - as you know, I hold you guys in high esteem and love you to bits and am very heartened by your very kind comments - shame none of you are no longer on the scene

Richard Bonser - fantastic rhyme - no wonder it took you all day - send me a direct link to it. Equally hilarious is Jon Lethbridges' take on all this nonsense

And lastly, just a statement of fact. By the very nature of Johnny Allan and others raising a clause 10 petition against me and the club and the complaints lodged against me as a named individual - and confirm Johnny please that the paperwork I have on my desk and signed by you is authenticated (it certainly appears to be your genuine signature) - means that the Commission have to uphold the law and investigate the complaint. The particular wording of the document has made the matter more serious (I am assuming the wording was intentional Johnny) and hence why, if I fail this time to convince the Commission that there is a legitimate reason for having any one individual on the list, then I fall foul of the law and WILL be prosecuted. Lawyers still say that I have no case to answer for and the fact that it is a hobby being listed and not a professional sport, that I should be ok - but it is a grey area, and they have never come across it before - so the stakes for me are very high indeed and hence why I state that if I lose the case (and it is very likely to come to court now), I shall have to throw the towel in and admit defeat and cease the workings of the club. At that stage, I am happy to hand it over to Garry Bagnell, if he so wishes to continue with it, but I am afraid that will be the final straw as far as I am concerned - because like others have said, the club and what it stands for has been my life and despite publishing the list every month for nigh on ten years or more in past magazines, I have never had such hostility directed towards me because of it

Last edited:
As an amused bystander, and non-combatant...

Curious to see who'd be prepared to put their money where their mouth is and contribute to a fighting fund for either protagonist.

I know where my my money is. Both in terms of contribution, and betting on the outcome...

ce

In that case John, you have my apology.

Kind regards

Johnny Allan

Johnny here is my post from yesterday, and my name is at the bottom.

There is only one solution.
Lee why don't you just remove everyone from the list and start again. For anyone who wants to be on there, then let them resubmit their up-to-date total. After each new bird they see, let them let you know for you to update. For those people that do not wish to be included then so be it. If they then complain that they are not on the list, well its up to them to give it to you. You will obviously get jip off some of the top listers for not being including and calling your list a fake and a sham, but from the posts on here that is what some of them want.
But you can't really have unwilling participants, its about the fun aspect of birding there are no prizes for the winner because there will never be a winner as its a fluid situation without an end. Your new List might not be the Premier league of birding, but there's nout wrong with the Championship (being a Birmingham City fan ..I would know about that).

John Belsey (cuddy)

I can think of three reasons, I'll give you one and see if others can get any more.

1. how would we know if "flying frog" really is john smith as he says?, he could be Cloudesley Shovell (I think that name is fabulous) seafarer I believe.

Yes I had thought of that but I was thinking that if you ask for a real name rather than anything at all, there may be some who don't give a real name but perhaps a lot would. Mysticete's (whatever his name is, he seems to know a lot about taxonomy) point about googling is good one. Oh well, just a thought. If you don't ask you don't find out.

Kind regards

Johnny Allan

[Lee]....None of us no longer on the scene....?

Anything mainland we still go for...but can't justify the amount of money needed to keep 'island hopping'....!

Regards....L3....[Col]....B :)

[Lee]....None of us no longer on the scene....?

Anything mainland we still go for...but can't justify the amount of money needed to keep 'island hopping'....!
Regards....L3....[Col]....B :)

User,

L3 ?

And some of us use a pseudonym because that's what we're known as in birding circles. Apart from the other reasons given above!

H

Edit, L3 - I just got it, ha ha.

Colin

Seen anything of Paul (Marc Bolan) lately? If I am lucky, I see him just once a year - at the Birdfair. Talking about sharing some great times together - never forget when I was arrested in Notts with Paul in the back seat........and that mysterious back window of mine being completely smashed in the dead of night. Memories eh. Did we fight like cat and dog back then - I remember only a few minor skirmishes in the White Hart and George - and that generally with a few cantankerous local lads. It was only really the Isles of Scilly where the big flare-ups took place......

Colin

Seen anything of Paul (Marc Bolan) lately? If I am lucky, I see him just once a year - at the Birdfair. Talking about sharing some great times together - never forget when I was arrested in Notts with Paul in the back seat........and that mysterious back window of mine being completely smashed in the dead of night. Memories eh. Did we fight like cat and dog back then - I remember only a few minor skirmishes in the White Hart and George - and that generally with a few cantankerous local lads. It was only really the Isles of Scilly where the big flare-ups took place......

Paul...[Marc Bolan];)....was with us down the pub last night. He doesn't twitch as much as he used to but still enjoys what we call 'a good bird'...

Re the Scillies various 'events' back in the day....we probably would be wise not to mention some of the 'goings on'....certainly not on the internet anyway:eek!:...[even i'm not that daft]...!

Good times....and i'm sure there's more to come.....:t:

Colin

I was asked only this week by a young up-and-coming film-maker that I was helping out why I hadn't written my life story detailing the history of twitching from the perspective of someone who has lived it all. I know Mark Cocker wrote something along those lines a few years back but I wonder if there would be much mileage in it - and worse still think of the reaction on here to it, if I published a 'warts-and-all' chronology of events since the early/mid 70's. Could it be a best-seller one wonders........

Colin

I seem to remember that one but I think I had better keep quiet they might still be looking for me:smoke:

Colin

I was asked only this week by a young up-and-coming film-maker that I was helping out why I hadn't written my life story detailing the history of twitching from the perspective of someone who has lived it all. I know Mark Cocker wrote something along those lines a few years back but I wonder if there would be much mileage in it - and worse still think of the reaction on here to it, if I published a 'warts-and-all' chronology of events since the early/mid 70's. Could it be a best-seller one wonders........

I think it`d be watchable providing it was edited fairly,meaning you know how sometimes filmakers edit stories & it ends up with not a true depiction of things.

Steve.

Colin

Only if it was warts & all it could have some mileage. So many anecdotes: dips, disappointments, triumphs, crashes, sackings, divorces, fights, pints, discos!, disputes, and above all: laughs.

Colin

I would kinda tread very carefully about the 'warts n all' Lee...some 'stuff' should be kept private...! Anything i know about the characters 'back then' remains private.....[rules of 'fight club'...if you know that film]...;)

It would not be my wish to potentially upset people by revealing things....[i respect confidences and value friendships and associates in this beloved birding 'game'].....

I would kinda tread very carefully about the 'warts n all' Lee...some 'stuff' should be kept private...! Anything i know about the characters 'back then' remains private.....[rules of 'fight club'...if you know that film]...;)

It would not be my wish to potentially upset people by revealing things....[i respect confidences and value friendships and associates in this beloved birding 'game'].....

Perhaps the film could end with Lee waking up and realising it had all been a dream!!

Picture instead of Mr crowe,we have lee,Shiny breast plate and leather skirt,after decimating a troupe of gladiators raising his sword skyward,utters the immortal,"Are you not entertained".;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back