• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Uk400club 'list Of Lists' Etc Etc (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed - as stated, 'most of the decade'............I remember turning up with the only pair of the new Zeiss 7x42 BGAT's:eek!::eek!: and spending a good part of the first week having them 'borrowed' either to look at whatever 'mega' was on show or to check out the light-gathering capabilities whilst down Holy Vale.

The pressure was somewhat relieved when 3 'dudey' types turned up for a weeks' birding ALL sporting the same model! IIRC the 3 gentlemen concerned were Killian Mullarney, Lars Svensson and Lars Jonsson (the latter, due to his tall, gangly demeanour and his rugged Nordic features, was very quickly re-named 'Lurch' Jonsson:-O

This took the pressure off me so i could spend the 2nd week ticking other peoples birds as usual!;)

Happy days.........

Laurie -

Johnny Mac how about this one Kid ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9udxbvHiqGw
the Upstarts anthem. How many times did we blast this one out when leaving the white horse on a Saturday night. Driving through Cley and into the 'car park' waking up Gantlett and Millington, sleeping in the coast guards.8-P
Oh those day's in the 80's, we could have a music thread, with each Tune relevant to certain birds ..ie, Griz blasting out Echo beach ..at the first Forster's Tern in Falmouth,
I dare say a few from the Clash will feature :t:
and Persian love song ..that should blow a few minds, Mammoth sent me a cd of that one, a couple of years ago.
cuddy8-P

Johnny Mac how about this one Kid ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9udxbvHiqGw
the Upstarts anthem. How many times did we blast this one out when leaving the white horse on a Saturday night. Driving through Cley and into the 'car park' waking up Gantlett and Millington, sleeping in the coast guards.8-P
cuddy8-P

A song anyone can dance to...love it. Or to quote an old t-shirt, "F*ck Art, Let's Dance!"

Phil

Hi Mark
I think just these few songs conjures up the diverse music tastes let alone our dress sense and humour. Birding in the 80's will never be repeated, this song brings it all back. I hope the Moderator doesn't delete these posts , it is relevant to birding in the 80's, the characters, birds and events ...to where this thread has drifted into, hopefully a few more memorable moments will surface.:t:
cuddyB :)

Hi Mark
I think just these few songs conjures up the diverse music tastes let alone our dress sense and humour. Birding in the 80's will never be repeated, this song brings it all back. I hope the Moderator doesn't delete these posts , it is relevant to birding in the 80's, the characters, birds and events ...to where this thread has drifted into, hopefully a few more memorable moments will surface.:t:
cuddyB :)

It is relevant to us old lags John...and it does relate to the origins of listing when we used to be tick hunters rather than twitchers...[but i guess we may be in the minority these days]...! At least it shows the fun aspect of birding rather than the nastier side...which is surely preferable...?

Anyway...see you soon...[maybe at birdfair]...?

ps...i'll keep my music vids for elsewhere...B :)

http://username-beast.blogspot.com/

81 82 83 84 New Gold Dream (reprise)

Bet Mr Mac ain't saying that!

We should have stayed in 'bed' at the Beach Hotel :smoke:

Yeh..just had the 30th anniversary celebrations last month!!

sorry rolling should have made the last title clearer (SM ref)!!!

John of course The Clash followed by the Specials....leave you with this one t

to keep it mellow...from the original "punkbirders" 'cept we had no websites

just attitude.....http://youtu.be/ga4wASz39Fc

Bet Mr Mac ain't saying that!

We should have stayed in 'bed' at the Beach Hotel :smoke:

I remember it well, it was the only Sunday I have ever got up before Nancy's opened. I went birding at 6am to the quaggs, salthouse etc. Drove back towards Cley and saw someone waving on the beach ( I think it might have been Emo). When we got into Cley, Gantlett was outside Brian Blands place on the phone. He told us the newsa and we raced off to coastguards to find out that the waving was to indicate it was flying over (it being the Rock Sparrow).:-C
B :)John

I remember it well, it was the only Sunday I have ever got up before Nancy's opened. I went birding at 6am to the quaggs, salthouse etc. Drove back towards Cley and saw someone waving on the beach ( I think it might have been Emo). When we got into Cley, Gantlett was outside Brian Blands place on the phone. He told us the newsa and we raced off to coastguards to find out that the waving was to indicate it was flying over (it being the Rock Sparrow).:-C
B :)John

some whe win some we lose,Hartlepool till I die,and you are ?

Origins and Myths

Aye one for Grizz up there with the great snowcock in the sky so it goes..

Memories fade but the rest of us are still here and I remember recording persian love song off John Peels radio show..I used to put a tape in my ghetto blaster and press record.. a bit like C30 C60 C90 Go!..http://youtu.be/6_R0Kvk7G9U
..that's the original Ants behind Annabella..stolen from Adam by Malcom! Of course Adam had the last laugh..but then again he didn't if you know what I mean but hey I digress.

Yes so I taped Persian Love Song and took it along on the next twitch with Upstart '79 and it became a kind of anthem after everyone had overcome the initial shock! Anyhow I think thats what happened I had forgotten all about it until now.

Use to see Mr Peel at the West Runton Pavillion (SLF, Dead Kennedys etc) in between birding stints at Cley. We did bird, seriously now, and bird hard between us we saw the best birds and the best bands and actually found our own birds! Terek Sand on the Iron Road was my best shot. I wrote a description on the back of a telephone directory in the phone box by the Dun Cow in Salthouse, whilst phoning out the news..then submitted the torn off cover as my original field notes to the BBRC..I must have impressed them!

sorry about all these old references kids just google ghettoblaster, telephone directory etc. and you'll soon pick it all up:-O..(better get back to the greenshank thread developing on the serious channel)

.(better get back to the greenshank thread developing on the serious channel)

Fortunately busy today but got a text from a member of the 'old school' regarding the above....

Crackin bird..and LGRE has just turned up. Worth cumin over....

:-O

Time for some London Calling!

on reflection though we have come a long way more birders more monies to conservation more reserves bigger and better reserves better habitats better optics better field guides the internet all those b..b.blogs..youtube and even f###ing birdforum

you lucky young turks have bigger lists see rarer birds here and abroad and there is better music .. more and more bands and DJ's to see including the same bloodi bands still touring we had thought were the best thing ever way back when

hey hey ...memories..http://youtu.be/8gLkOfzIYcU

anyway that's enough from me and by the way has that "list" been laundered yet?

Hi there,

when reading the Greater Legs/Greenshank thread, one could almost come to believe that Lee Evans never went along with this bird being a Greater Yellowlegs. I understand from others on site that he phoned at least one person to tell them that the Greater legs was still present and updated the bird to RBA, expressing no reservations regarding the birds identity. It was Steve Lister who re-identified the bird as a Greenshank, not Lee.

Now before some of you throw your hands up and the cry of 'Lee bashing' etc goes out, I have to disagree with you. This is justified criticism, pertinent to the UK400 Club.

We all make mistakes. I have, and and I've also been influenced, in the same way as those arriving to see a Greater Legs, in the past. We've all been there, I look it as a learning curve. I still remember the 'Paddyfield Chiffchaff' and the 'Saltholme Sandpiper'.

However, how many of us are self appointed birding 'Policemen' or 'Judge, Jury and Executioner' and have set up bogus Ornithological Authorities to sit in judgement of what other birders have or have not seen. How many have gone on TV and branded other birders liars or have ludicrously disqualified other birders attempting a British or British and Irish year list. How many have created a Micky Mouse list of lists acompanied by questionable taxonomy and records decisions over which they can sit in judgement.

I have acknowledged that Lee is an able an knowledgeable birder (if only he would stick to that), but he's far from the what I'd consider the best. Indeed, there are one or two on my own patch that have more ability. As we all know, going to see lots of rare birds doesn't necessarily make you a good birder.

At the Greater Legs/Greenshank, Lee, the birding policeman, the self appointed investigator, showed himself to be no better than the rank and file. This is just one more of a plethora of reasons why I don't want to have anything to do with his UK400 Club. I could think of lots of people who create and run such a club in a much more successful fashion but i'm sure they'd see no reason to do so whatsoever.

Hopefully my personal data will be removed from the UK400 Club database soon (if it hasn't already), I will give an update when this is confirmed.

Kind regards

Johnny Allan

http://surreybirding.blogspot.com/2011/07/black-is-new-kite.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back