• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vintage and Classic Binoculars (4 Viewers)

That looks like a very nice older Meopta. I would clip the tag off, I don't
think Duane will mind ! All its doing now is scratching the paint.
I do enjoy your collection, and it seems it is always growing. You must
have a lot of storage shelves for all of these.

Edit: Now that I have read the other posts, LPT has sure offered some
good advice.

Jerry

Last edited:
Hello BenCW,

Meopta is a very reliable company. In optics, they were well known for dependable photographic enlargers and their lenses. I had one, for years. I have one of their military binoculars, a 6x30, as well as a current 6.5x32. They made some cameras, as well, but Comecon designated the DDR as a the provider of cameras for their bloc. I hold the Meopta brand in higher esteem than Zeiss Jena (DDR).
Happy collecting,
Arthur :hi:

That looks like a very nice older Meopta. I would clip the tag off, I don't
think Duane will mind ! All its doing now is scratching the paint.
I do enjoy your collection, and it seems it is always growing. You must
have a lot of storage shelves for all of these.

Edit: Now that I have read the other posts, LPT has sure offered some
good advice.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry,
it is in real good condition, I have managed to get the little ding out of the Objective cap now too, re- sprayed both caps, perfect. Yes, my collection is getting out of control, I have had to buy some chests of drawers to put some away. I am always looking out for certain additions, a nice 7x42 for my use, and seek Hartman Compacts or Bernina,s, I have polerims already, but then I keep coming across bargains I cant let go by, like this Meopta, £10 ?? and the Sard £15?? how can you pass them up. Maybe I will put a tiny plastic sleeve on the tag to stop any scratches.

Hello BenCW,

Meopta is a very reliable company. In optics, they were well known for dependable photographic enlargers and their lenses. I had one, for years. I have one of their military binoculars, a 6x30, as well as a current 6.5x32. They made some cameras, as well, but Comecon designated the DDR as a the provider of cameras for their bloc. I hold the Meopta brand in higher esteem than Zeiss Jena (DDR).
Happy collecting,
Arthur :hi:

Thanks Arthur, yes, even my first impression was that it is at least as good as the Jenna DDR 8x30, and possibly a better build.

Nice to see this tread is still alive.
I have not posted on here for a while, I have stopped by obsessive collecting at last.
You must all continue for me though.

Hensoldt Dialyt 8x32

Another addition to the collection, but not my usual bargain price find, I had to pay £100 for this Hensoldt 8x32, but I love it. It is pretty much mint, not a mark on the binocular, glass or case and straps. Considering the age I'm amazed at the clarity, sharp and great colors, not very far off my much later Leica 8x32BN. The FOV is 150ft@1000yds, the build quality, shape and handling is great, reasonably compact, weighs just 20oz, although these are probably no use to a glasses wearer, and eye relief is quite tight. The serial number is 870692, I know these were made from 1948 until 1964, so my guess is this might be a late one, if anyone has any idea of the year, be interested to know. Also looking through the objective end I see a diagonal fine line, I am guessing this is usual with this roof set up? I know Frank has a couple of Dialyt,s, any further info appreciated.

Attachments

• HENSODLT-DIALYT-8X32.JPG
    HENSODLT-DIALYT-8X32.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 66
  • HENSODLT-DIALYT-8X32.JPG3.JPG
    HENSODLT-DIALYT-8X32.JPG3.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 94
  • HENSODLT-DIALYT-8X32.JPG2.JPG
    HENSODLT-DIALYT-8X32.JPG2.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 57
Another addition to the collection, but not my usual bargain price find, I had to pay £100 for this Hensoldt 8x32, but I love it. It is pretty much mint, not a mark on the binocular, glass or case and straps. Considering the age I'm amazed at the clarity, sharp and great colors, not very far off my much later Leica 8x32BN. The FOV is 150ft@1000yds, the build quality, shape and handling is great, reasonably compact, weighs just 20oz, although these are probably no use to a glasses wearer, and eye relief is quite tight. The serial number is 870692, I know these were made from 1948 until 1964, so my guess is this might be a late one, if anyone has any idea of the year, be interested to know. Also looking through the objective end I see a diagonal fine line, I am guessing this is usual with this roof set up? I know Frank has a couple of Dialyt,s, any further info appreciated.

According to my sources the 8x32 was made from "about" 1955 to 1963. (Hans Seeger, Feldstecher). The fine diagonal line is the "roof of the roof prism", this is often visible, most easily in older roof prism binoculars. I can see it with appropriate lightling through the objective lenses of virtually all my roof prims binoculars.

These old Hensoldts are often quite amazing. I had a chance to play with an 8x56 Nacht-Dialyth (bought in 1956) some years ago and thought the image quality was pretty good, despite the lack of phase coatings. The mechanical quality is excellent!

Hermann

According to my sources the 8x32 was made from "about" 1955 to 1963. (Hans Seeger, Feldstecher). The fine diagonal line is the "roof of the roof prism", this is often visible, most easily in older roof prism binoculars. I can see it with appropriate lightling through the objective lenses of virtually all my roof prims binoculars.

These old Hensoldts are often quite amazing. I had a chance to play with an 8x56 Nacht-Dialyth (bought in 1956) some years ago and thought the image quality was pretty good, despite the lack of phase coatings. The mechanical quality is excellent!

Hermann
Not much to add to this - I am in complete agreement. Although generally acknowledged to be fine binoculars, there's not a lot of discussion about the Hensoldt AK roofs and I don't think they get quite the respect they deserve. They're not just good, they're really good, and I think most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference in views between a Hensoldt and those of a top-end Porro I binocular from the same time period regardless of the lack of phase coating.

Thanks Hermann, LPT, they are very,very good, and I agree very comparable with my 8x30 Oberkochen in terms of clarity, color and sharpness, the only thing I have noticed with this Hensoldt is that focusing is very sensitive and must be very precise, it is very smooth, but you must be spot on the object you are focusing on, unlike the porro which if not spot on is little more forgiving, it seems to me the Hensoldt is all or nothing, spot on or completely off, or that is my impression anyway. I suppose it might be fair to say these set the early standard for those top end 8x30/32 roofs which followed?.

Regarding serial numbers, Holger Merlitz writes that the Hensoldt Dialyt 10X50 SN 735058 he's reviewing was made in 1955: http://www.holgermerlitz.de/ross10x50.html while my 10X50 Dialyt SN 996914 is little different than Merlitz' having the characteristics of later models was made in the late 1950's to the end of production in 1963. So I'm estimating yours, SN 870692, was made in the later 1950's. As far as setting the standard for roof prism binoculars I think the first generation Leitz Trinovids did that because that was the binocular that started the roof prism revolution. I'm not positive who was first to popularize Schmidt Pechan prismed roofs but I think it was Zeiss West Germany in 1964 with the 8X30B in order to compete with the Trinovids. Zeiss was just about the only maker who continued to make Abbe Konig prismed roofs like the Hensoldt Dialyts (today's 8X56 BGAT is basically a slightly redesigned Hensoldt Dialyt with modern coatings) but although they were optically superior to Uppendahl prismed or Schmidt Pechan (SP) prismed systems because they did not require mirror coating, it was a longer prism assembly and not as compact as an Uppendahl or SP one so SP's became the most used system. I think Leitz eventually discontinued the Uppendahls in favor of an SP prismed binocular because the Uppendahl being cemented and having 3 prisms and consequently more optical surfaces than the SP was too expensive to manufacture.

Last edited:
. Hi Ben,
the 16×56 that I have has amazing build quality and optical quality.
I think it was used for watching horseracing and lovingly cared for.
to me it seems like it was made by master technicians and to very high standards.
The case looks very similar to yours although of of course it will be bigger.
probably about 1955.
it is amazingly lightweight.

Thanks LPT, interesting to read Holgers comparisons as I am also thinking about a Ross Stepnite 7x50, which he mentions. From what I have read, the early 1930's Ross used better quality glass than they used in the later WW11 Bino prism No5.
Binastro, have you used your 16x56 Hensoldt for stargazing at all? If so, what is it like?

Ben

2 collection additions- Stepnite and soviet 6x24

Well, I bought the Ross Stepnite 7x50, although judging by the serial number starting 138 and being coated lenses I think it is post ww11, but still nice and sharp, although when viewing on a bright background I can see very minute black specks which cannot be seen from the objective end, from that end it looks very clean.

I also got this super little Russian 6x24, I had read good things about the earlier Soviet KOMZ 6x24, and they don't come up often, so I determined to get this later version, and i'm really pleased with it, pin sharp, has the usual Russian traits, a little play in the focus knob, and slight yellow bias, although much less yellow bias than my other soviet 8x30s and very near neutral. It's great to use. Not sure if KOMZ or Helios?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/95019762@N07/

Attachments

• ROSS-STEPNITE-7X50.JPG
    ROSS-STEPNITE-7X50.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 92
  • SOVIET-6X24-X2.JPG
    SOVIET-6X24-X2.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
. Hi Ben,
6×24 may be KOMZ, seems to be 1971.
What happens if you look near a streetlight at night?

P.S.
a 1977 similar binocular has written on it 'BIN 2 in Cyrillic 6×24
MADE IN USSR'
and the prism symbol with a light ray going through it.

all these markings are on the left hand side rear plate.

It has rather nice multi-coatings.

Last edited:
. Hi Ben,
6×24 may be KOMZ, seems to be 1971.
What happens if you look near a streetlight at night?

P.S.
a 1977 similar binocular has written on it 'BIN 2 in Cyrillic 6×24
MADE IN USSR'
and the prism symbol with a light ray going through it.

all these markings are on the left hand side rear plate.

It has rather nice multi-coatings.

Hi Binastro, this one has lovey deep dark red/purple coatings. I will try looking near a streetlight later tonight and let you know. It came complete with case and the orange filters too. Have you noticed how the leather straps on these old soviet bins always seem soft and supple, not gone stiff and cracked like many others, or do I imagine it?

Hello,

6x24 can be a very nice package, just right for outdoor sporting events. I have an IF French military one but missed out on a Zeiss, with a nice story.
I read some more on an old post on the fourm.
Happy collecting,
Arthur Pinewood

Last edited:
Thanks Arthur, will have a trawl through the archive.

Binastro, using the 6x24 near a streetlamp was not really bad, but some reflection and stray light. Looking directly at a lamp, about 25ft away, very bad, large halo, and streaks of reflecting light. Looking directly at a lamp 50 yards away, pretty good, minimal halo, no bad reflections. The other thing I noticed is that when not looking toward light, for a 6x24 this gave a pretty good image at night, better than I would expect. Close focus is approx 5ft.

Ben

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back