• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vireo? (1 Viewer)

Storm21

I just saw a new bird at my feeder, one Ive never seen before :) The first thing I noticed was its yellow underparts, from the chest down to its belly. I couldnt see if under the tail was white or some other color cause it was in shadow, and hanging on my thistle sock feeder. The top was olive colored from its crown down its back. The wings were outlined in a dark color (brown? black?) and its tail was the same color. I didnt see any white wingbars or any white on its face either.
Thats about all the detail I can give cause I dont have any binocs and my glasses arent too great ^_^
Also, Im in Indiana (just a little extra info to help out :) )

Doesn't sound like a vireo to hang from a feeder... but a lot more like a female or immature American Goldfinch, which could fit the description.

Agree with Xenospiza. American goldfinch sounds like your best bet. After a summer of bright yellow and black, the winter birds look suprising at first.

Scott

I dont think its a goldfinch, mainly because it didnt have white wingbars like goldfinches, and its bigger (goldfinches are about 4 1/2-5", this bird had to be at least 6"). My bf had a pair of goldfinches in his backyard over the summer, and they were pretty small compared to this one. And the goldfinch pics I looked at (I looked at about 250 pics), the birds were all pretty much the same drab color all around, this birds colors were pretty distinct.

*sigh* I wish I had a camera to take a picture (I hope it comes back today)...

Theres a bird out there now that I can tell is a winterized Goldfinch, and I can say confidently that the bird I saw yesterday is not the same. Theres a definate difference in size and markings.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back