• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxwing invasion 2012/13 (1 Viewer)

ColinD

United Kingdom
In between all of these countless threads about how many of this and that you've seen, has anybody looked up from their computer and noticed that there seems to be a fair few Waxwings about in the UK at the moment??;)

In between all of these countless threads about how many of this and that you've seen, has anybody looked up from their computer and noticed that there seems to be a fair few Waxwings about in the UK at the moment??;)

Yes, I'm following the reports on my Bird Guides daily. There are hundreds in the UK - mostly in Scotland are the big groups. Look at Skye!

Sandra

There were really large numbers moving down through Norway earlier this autumn so, with a bit of luck, we could be in for a Waxwing winter. There are also a huge number of Pine Grosbeak in Finland :t: ( just saying ;) ).

Chris

A quick tot up on Birdguides arrives at a total of nearly 1200 reported for yesterday, compared with a little over 700 for the same date in 2010 (and 7 last year).

James

It's interesting that we've not had many in Aberdeen yet (normally the 'Waxwing Capital of Britain'). Sometimes they get here a bit later than other places in northern Scotland though, and I'm sure more will arrive in the next few days. There don't seem to be a lot of berries left, so maybe they won't be here for very long.

There were really large numbers moving down through Norway earlier this autumn so, with a bit of luck, we could be in for a Waxwing winter. There are also a huge number of Pine Grosbeak in Finland :t: ( just saying ;) ).

Chris

Yes, a flock of Pine Grosebeaks would be nice, especially if they were in North West England! ;)

170 ootside the hoose in west edinburgh today with other reports from Lothian coming through today so perhaps birds are now moving south!

It was going great guns up here but its very wet and the weather is all coming from the west.

Does anybody know where i can see information on the scandinavian berry crop ???

A flock of nine flew straight through at Rutland Water this aft - could easily have passed them off as starlings as there were loads of small groups flying west.

Steve

A couple of birds reached Cornwall, at the weekend, where they are relatively scarce

An interesting occurrence, 13 also on the Scillies by 2nd November.

A lost flock or so that got blasted straight through on north/easterlies rather than gradually filtering through the rest of the country like would normally happen?* ...

(*... if you're lucky!)

Last edited:
It's interesting that we've not had many in Aberdeen yet (normally the 'Waxwing Capital of Britain'). Sometimes they get here a bit later than other places in northern Scotland though, and I'm sure more will arrive in the next few days. There don't seem to be a lot of berries left, so maybe they won't be here for very long.

I agree. I've checked a few regular spots in Aberdeenshire over the last couple of days and found no waxwings and virtually no berries left. If there is any sort of invasion it could be like 2008, when they were only here for a couple of weeks and rapidly moved south - although in that invasion I did see a flock of 900 Waxwings in Aberdeen, which was nice!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back