• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

white-backed woodpecker (3 Viewers)

Hi there. Picking up on this thread I am off to the Pyrenees in a few weeks. Has anyone had any luck with White-backed Woodpecker recently?

I spent a wet morning at the Foret d'Isseaux in mid May but no luck. Not surprising there really. This forest is absolutely huge, so a good amount of time will be needed. I hope others have better sites for you.

The birds are only usually vocal in spring and when they fledge. In mid May they are sat on chicks (they fledge the last week of May) and are silent.

I was taken to a nest in the Foret Isseaux and can quite honestly say that even though the nest was directly above a path I would never have seen the birds!! The adults came back to the nest every 10 minutes, only once together, and only made a noise maybe two or three times in about 1 1/2 hours.

The site (as of last year) noted by Gosney is no longer in a current territory. Despite saying all that around these woods White Backed are more numerous that the Great Spotted Wood. Likewise in the woods you will only see Sharpei Green (Spannish).

In short try around the woods but it depends how much time you have to commit to them and how lucky you are!!

Hello rosbifs,

Do you have photos of these WBWs from the region? Or does anyone have pictures of this species from France, Spain or Italy?
Did you try to attract the birds with vocalization, when you searching for them?

Thank you.

I have one very bad photo. They are the same as Spannish birds and the same sub-species as Italy (ilfordi).

Interstingly the name has changed here from White-backed (pic a dos blanc) to Ilfordi Woodpecker (pic ilfordi) in recent years.

Yes when searching with the 'parc national' a tape was used - roche. the pattern was play for 2 mintues then listen for 10 - move on and then repeat. This year all of the woods in my valley we checked in this manner - with one contact.

I have used a mixture of roche and drumming recordings from the internet - if i'm in a wood with internet reception.

lilfordi is touted as a potential future split but as far as i know none of the main authorities have adopted it yet.. maybe dutch birding association?
Jame

http://www.atlas-ornitho.fr/index.p...iesFilter=&frmSpecies=339&frmDisplay=Affichez

http://gopa64.free.fr/index.html
the home page has a good picture of the Lilfordi - might have to wait for it to scroll through

http://gopa64.free.fr/pages/casseurdos9.html
part way down discusses the nesting characteristics of the Woody

Our bird groupd down here has adopted the name 'Pic de Lilfordi' - don't know how official that is in the birding wider world. This happened after this issue of the casseur d'os...

A crap translation of http://gopa64.free.fr/pages/casseurdos9.html

Characteristics of nest trees in the White-backed Woodpecker Dendrocopos leucotos lilfordi in the French western Pyrenees
Jean-Louis Grangé

Based on 76 nests, we analyze the characteristics of trees and nesting cavities in the White-backed Woodpecker Dendrocopos leucotos lilfordi in the French western Pyrenees by various parameters. The selected species is beech Fagus sylvatica (one nest found on a tree), with an average height of 20.5 m with an average diameter of 45.8 cm, 77% of nest trees are in good health condition . The cavity is drilled to an average height of 14.2 m with an average trunk diameter at the cavity 27.7 cm, predominant north and south exposures. The lodge is built in the upper half of the tree in 77% of cases. A different lodge is carved into each nest, sometimes on a tree already containing from 1 to 2. A broad literature review was performed for lilfordi taxa and leucotos on this dimension of the niche, where it appears that some elements are very stable (in particular the characteristics related to the cavity itself) in all regions, this being due to the phylogenetic proximity. Other more variable elements (especially the parameters related to nest trees) reflect adaptations to different forest environments dynamic sylvogéniques.

Re http://www.atlas-ornitho.fr/index.ph...splay=Affichez no official confirmation of a sighting for years

Last edited:
I don't understand the atlas saying no 'official' sightings for years. There are estimates of 300 pairs in the french pyrenees. Nests are regularly surveyed and watched by the 'local' bird groups, parc national and the 'foret' staff.

SteveFrance64 You are in White Backed central according to your map. Around Iraty, Forest Lourdios, Arudy they out number the Great Spot in any beach wood of significance...

SteveFrance64 You are in White Backed central according to your map. Around Iraty, Forest Lourdios, Arudy they out number the Great Spot in any beach wood of significance...

.atlas-ornitho.fr shows no breeding for the last couple of years here

Your possibly right I am 35 kilometres as the crow flies whilst my interest is Butterflies I keep my eyes and ears open but in the last 8 years have never come across this elusive creature despite regular forays at high altitude, these forests are primeval and at high angles, I reckon many areas have never been visited by humans let alone surveyed

Steve

Last edited:
According to the Spanish breeding atlas 1998-2002 the population in Spain occupies some 1,300 sq kms and holds an estimated 78-95 pairs:

Attachments

• Den_leu.pdf
    825.9 KB · Views: 90
Stevefrance64 - sorry to keep pushing the point but the atlas-france is wrong in this instance. That said knowing they are there doesn't make them any easier! I have been actively prospecting for 8 years in my valley without success. I was taken to nearer you to find them!!

Hi

I'm looking into Pyrenean White-backed Woodpecker sites for a possible trip in March, and from this thread and others have found some useful details - thanks everyone.

I have some questions, and wondered if any of you can help?

First, the consensus seems to be that on the Spanish side, Irati is THE site. It's a big site though - over 10km long from Orbaizeta in the west to Ochagavia in the east. Is anyone able to narrow down the area I should search in? I've heard that the area around the northern arm of the Embalse is good. This is right in the centre of the forest - is it possible to drive there, or if not, which entrance would give the shortest walk to get there. Are there other areas withiin Irati which are also worth checking?

Second, while Irati is clearly in the heart of the woodpecker's Spanish range, the atlas page that Simon posted seems to suggest that the population density is higher to the west (west of Roncesvalles) and highest to the east (Larra-Belagua, north of Isaba). Does anyone have experience of searching in these areas and can you recommend any specific locations?

Finally, are there likely to be any weather-related accessibility issues in March, or are the forests low enough to escape?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back