• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

white-backed woodpecker (5 Viewers)

I found the woodpeckers fairly easily in Forest d'Iraty this June, no need for tape luring. Just looked for steep damp north facing slope around 1500m as advised by Rosbifs.

Attachments

• White-backed Woodpecker Foret d'Iraty 29 June 2015.jpg
    White-backed Woodpecker Foret d'Iraty 29 June 2015.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 117
  • White-backed Woodpecker Foret d'Iraty 29 June 15.jpg
    White-backed Woodpecker Foret d'Iraty 29 June 15.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 109
Well, I haven't been birding in the area but I use to go paddling there every year in early spring since ten years ago, and least two or three years we have had heavy snowfall completely covering all the area in & around Irati reservoir, making snow chains compulsory even in the access roads, not to say the dirt tracks inside Irati. So in March you need to be prepared about that (of course you can find also no snow)

Finally, are there likely to be any weather-related accessibility issues in March, or are the forests low enough to escape?

Last edited:
I will be posting a longer thread in a new thread entitled "a long journey planned" asking for more info regarding the routes I am taking.

I am about to start a long two month trip with my dog in my small Motorhome. Along the way I have at least three target birds, White-backed Woodpecker, Grey Headed Woodpecker and Eagle Owl (all lifers). Tengmalm's Owl would be good to (another lifer) but I doubt if I would get that.

My route will be from Calais on Nov 6th. I will be stopping not too far away from Gavarnie at a camp site in Franquevielle and should be there by about Nov 10th for a few days. From there I will be travelling around Spain and arriving back at the Pyrennes about a month later near to Arrazola where Stevev West's report states is a good area for the White-backed.

Any info for any of the above species would be greatfully received, especially the White Backed. I did get to within a few feet of one that was calling in Akseki, Turkey, a few years ago but it was in deep vegitation and we heard it fly off but never got to see it.

John

Well that has surprised me with no replies. Normally Birdforum members are quick to respond with helpful tips and advice. I was hoping this would be so with my requests for help.

Surely there are birders out there that can help me as I will be starting out on Nov 4th (doing some birding around Kent before joing Eurotunnel on Nov 6th).

All tips and advice would be greatfully received.

TIA John

starter for 10

Eagle Owl should be in full voice. There are odd pairs around us in the Pyrenees but a good concentration around Narbonne on the Clappe(?). Good places around Monegros and Spain in general.

Grey Headed Woodpecker used to be found around Versailles (I think middle to east Fance) but not in the south west of France or Spain. I found an old record from the 1800's but this was probably a 'sharpie'. We had a 'probable' about 6 years ago with three (separate) birders/groups connecting...
http://www.atlas-ornitho.fr/index.p...=species&y=-20052012&y_start=2005&y_stop=2012

White Backed (little early for drumming action) - I would recommend Iraty (french side) - see Dave Parker above - this is a Tengmalms area as well. The Tengmalms could be calling as early January...

Access could be difficult if snow.

I haven't heard of Franquevielle nr Gavarnie...

Greater Spotted Eagle at Beguste near Biarritz - there is usually one that spends the winter...

Current sightings:
http://www.faune-aquitaine.org/index.php?m_id=1&langu=en
http://www.rarebirdspain.net/arbsr000.htm

Wallcreeper usually around Luz st Sauveur this time of the year - although I'm on holiday until next week to confirm if there.

Thanks for all the info you have given me. That really helps.

Can I ask where Narbonne is. I can only find that above Perpignan. Is that where you mean? Also I can't find Beguste on the map.

An update on Wallcreeper would be great if you do find out.

John

I found the woodpeckers fairly easily in Forest d'Iraty this June, no need for tape luring. Just looked for steep damp north facing slope around 1500m as advised by Rosbifs.

This is the key to finding White-backed, damp even wet and flooded forest although I have seen them in the village here in Russia in winter. They are often on the ground as well, far more so than any other Dendrocopos.

Andy

Thanks for all the info you have given me. That really helps.

Can I ask where Narbonne is. I can only find that above Perpignan. Is that where you mean? Also I can't find Beguste on the map.

An update on Wallcreeper would be great if you do find out.

John

Narbonne is north of perpignan. We tend to goto a site around gruissan. there are salt marshes, marshes, rocky hills and plains...

beguste is just north east of biarritz...

Thanks Andy

Hopefully when I get to the Iraty area I can recognise the right areas to look in.

John

This is the key to finding White-backed, damp even wet and flooded forest although I have seen them in the village here in Russia in winter. They are often on the ground as well, far more so than any other Dendrocopos.

Andy

Norbonne is an area I won't be going near to so I have to hope I come across other areas for the Eagle Owl.

I still can't find Beguste on the map. Have you got a link to where these birds are as I have never had this Eagle in Europe only in Gambia.

John

Narbonne is north of perpignan. We tend to goto a site around gruissan. there are salt marshes, marshes, rocky hills and plains...

beguste is just north east of biarritz...

I forgot to update this thread. Unfortunately I didn't get away after all. I was on my way to the Eurotunnel on Nov 5th and was on the M25 near to junction 24 when an idiot in a van fell asleep at the wheel and smashed into the back of me.

I was doing 65mph at the time so he must have been close to the ton when he hit me judging by the damage he did. Thankfully the Insurance has accepted the cost of repairing and I have just had the bodywork done and am now waiting for the damaged cabinets to be done next week.

I hope to still do this trip and I have been advised that mid March might be a good time to restart my 45 day trip. I may be asking for more info off you guys as we get closer to the time.

John

Thanks James

I had a luckier escape than you think as after doing a few miles back home (after a temporary repair was done by the AA) I started to get a slight rumbling noise on the odd occasion. It sounded like when you drive off a smooth road onto a piece that was slighly rougher.

I took it to my local garage and they called me back next day to show me that my front wheel bearing had shattered and my wheel was about to come off.

Imagine that happening in France on a motorway. The consequence don't bare thinking of.

John

Sounds like a lucky escape! Although very unlucky overall. Hope you're ok and your return trip goes well.
James

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back