• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why are Meopta's so hard to sell? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try a Swarovski EL 10x32. They are as small and light as the Meostar but much better with sharper edges, and sometimes you can pick a nice one up for about $1200. The EL 10x32 will still be better than an SFL 10x30 and for less money only slightly larger.
Not sure .....the SFL hasn't been around so difficult to state.... I will look at the EL, but have considered them in the past in my quest for the perfect 32. I think cost was the factor but can always be patient to see what comes up on ebay or here.... Not going to toss the idea out but not a natural inclination to go for it either....

Not sure .....the SFL hasn't been around so difficult to state.... I will look at the EL, but have considered them in the past in my quest for the perfect 32. I think cost was the factor but can always be patient to see what comes up on ebay or here.... Not going to toss the idea out but not a natural inclination to go for it either....
The EL 8x32 will outperform the SFL 8x30. Take my word for it. The EL was Swarovski's alpha when it was their latest model. The SFL is not Zeiss's alpha, the SF is. If you compared the SFL 8x30 side by side with the EL 8x32, you would pick the EL. I had the SFL 8x40 and the EL 8x32. My NL 8x32 way outperformed the SFL 8x40.

I see only TWO Meopta Meostars 8x32 that have sold. One was mine for $599.95 and the other one was not the Plus model, and it went at auction for a paltry $330.00 after 24 bids! Get your facts straight before you argue with me. You will make yourself look foolish! :ROFLMAO:

There have been times I look foolish, my wife tells me that all the time. But the fact is I think you own the the Monopoly on foolishness.

I too rarely find Meostars selling used. True, tough sell, but I feel people who have them, keep ‘em, thus the reason we never see them for sale. ODD as that might sound.

Before I close out this thread, let's summarize why the Meopta Meostar B1 Plus 8x32 is difficult to sell and has such poor resale. Part of it is Meopta's poor marketing and visibility in the US and the fact that Meopta's are marketed more for the hunter's market than the birding market, so an 8x32 is not going to be a good seller in the birding market to start off with. But probably the biggest reason the Meopta Meostar B1 plus 8x32 is hard to sell is because it retails for $1100, but you can get the almost equivalent binocular in the rebranded Cabela's Euro Instinct HD 8x32 for $300 to $500, and it is for all practical purposes the same binocular. So my recommendation is if you are in the market for a Meopta Meostar HD look at the Cabela's Euro Instinct instead and especially at the auctions on eBay where often times they go for as low as $300. Here is a pair at Cabela's for $399.88. For some people, it is hard to admit when they are wrong. 🤣

Last edited:
To tag on to your list.... Hunters shop at Cabelas....period. Not sure how Cabelas can sell them for so cheap for the same quality (or are they?????) as optics have little profit in them.

Last edited:
Before I close out this thread, let's summarize why the Meopta Meostar B1 Plus 8x32 is difficult to sell
We also know why 😯
and has such poor resale. Part of it is Meopta's poor marketing and visibility in the US and the fact that Meopta's are marketed more for the hunter's market than the birding market, so an 8x32 is not going to be a good seller in the birding market to start off with. But probably the biggest reason the Meopta Meostar B1 plus 8x32 is hard to sell is because it retails for $1100, but you can get the almost equivalent binocular in the rebranded Cabela's Euro Instinct HD 8x32 for $300 to $500, and it is for all practical purposes the same binocular. So my recommendation is if you are in the market for a Meopta Meostar HD look at the Cabela's Euro Instinct instead and especially at the auctions on eBay where often times they go for as low as $300. Here is a pair at Cabela's for $399.88. For some people, it is hard to admit when they are wrong. 🤣

I see only TWO Meopta Meostars 8x32 that have sold. One was mine for $599.95 and the other one was not the Plus model, and it went at auction for a paltry $330.00 after 24 bids! Get your facts straight before you argue with me. You will make yourself look foolish! :ROFLMAO:

Hmmm that’s funny i checked again ,I found over a dozen meopta sold recently. I think there’s only one person looking foolish. 😉

Not sure how Cabelas can sell them for so cheap for the same quality (or are they?????)
Apparently there's only trouble if you need service because Cabelas have poor to none. And these are closeout prices on the last remaining models: 8x32 $399, 10x42 $549. Sounds like the 8x32 may even have ED glass as the MeoStar doesn't. The 82mm scope w/20-70x EP is also tempting at $1899, less than I paid for our S2 on sale.

Last edited:
Apparently there's only trouble if you need service because Cabelas have poor to none. And these are closeout prices on the last remaining models: 8x32 $399, 10x42 $549. Sounds like the 8x32 may even have ED glass as the MeoStar doesn't. The 82mm scope w/20-70x EP is also tempting at $1899, less than I paid for our S2 on sale.
Meopta will perform service on the Cabelas Euro/Instinct models, due to the fact that Bass Pro/Cabelas screwed their customers and will not honor the warranty. Bush league move.

Thanks, good to know, a classy response from Meopta. (And those EuroHD/Instinct deals may already be gone, but you don't find out until checkout.)

For the money difference, it is hard for me to accept they are the same bins in regards to the inners. Perhaps on outside but inside? My mom taught me, nothing is free in life. I simply can’t believe the binoculars are the same quality, “ per my mom’

Last edited:
I had no problem at all selling Meopro Airs I tried for a month. I didn’t lose any money either. Broke even. However they were 10x42s which hunters prefer and they sold on a hunting forum Rokslide. I’ve had much better luck selling in other forums than here despite offering some screaming deals.

Hunters like 10x42's and makes sense. I sold a pair of 10x42 HT's and they sold real well, real fast. It is the 32 model that hurts and yet surprisingly an increasing number of birders are going that way, especially as the average age of birders 'gets up there' and it is easier to lug around a 32 (unless it is a NL of SF) with light weight and size....

For the money difference, it is hard for me to accept they are the same bins in regards to the inners. Perhaps on outside but inside? My mom taught me, nothing is free in life. I simply can’t believe the binoculars are the same quality, “ per my mom’

They are the same. Those are closeout prices and they discontinued the line quite awhile ago, they may not even have stock of them anymore. When they were a current line at Cabelas the retail price was in line with Meopta badged versions.

Yes, maybe, but that doesn't change the fact that most hunters prefer Zeiss, Swarovski or Leica binoculars.
You only have to look in hunter forums to see which binocular manufacturers are being discussed there!
Meopta is also very popular with bird watchers with spotting scopes, but Zeiss and Swarovski dominate the market here too.
Conversely, of course, that doesn't mean that Meopta builds bad optics, IMO they deserve more attention.;)

Andreas
Meopta has never been and never aspired to be an "alpha" brand. Zeiss, Swarovski and Leica have been at the top of the mountain in various forms for decades. Meopta could never reach those heights simply due to a lack of want, i.e. marketing push. Quality-wise, some Meopta products, like the S2 spotting scope have been at the absolute top of performance, regardless of brand.

d***o ought to have adopted his usual modus operandi - start a thread promoting whatever binocular he has in mind to sell here, stoke it up for a few weeks with extravagant hyperbole (the "pump"), then after selling it, spouting a catalogue of criticisms (the "dump").

You made a loss on a binocular, tough sh1t. "The value of your investment may fall as well as rise", so the warning to those who want to play the speculation game goes. There are probably enough suckers out there who'll fall for your pump and dump routine that you'll make it up sometime. Till then, cry me a fvckin' river.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back