• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss to ditch the HT and no 7X coming. (1 Viewer)

plc22

I got it from a Zeiss rep at last week's Paris Photo Show, he informed me that all the effort will be put into the SF range from now on, the 42mm HT will go first.
They have no plans to make a new 7x glass "because people don't buy them anymore"

I got it from a Zeiss rep at last week's Paris Photo Show, he informed me that all the effort will be put into the SF range from now on, the 42mm HT will go first.
They have no plans to make a new 7x glass "because people don't buy them anymore"

"will go first"??
Could this be some "lingual" translation misunderstanding?

The only reason to ditch the 42mm HT would be if they don't sell.

But if the effort means HT glass in the SF, I won't mind.

"will go first"??
Could this be some "lingual" translation misunderstanding?

The only reason to ditch the 42mm HT would be if they don't sell.

But if the effort means HT glass in the SF, I won't mind.

The 42mm HT will be the first to be ditched by Zeiss, there was no HT at all on the Zeiss stand, unlike the Conquest HD range which was all over the place.

1. I'm not surprised there'll be no 7x. Sales figures for 7x binoculars are loo low and have been too low for some considerable time.

2. I'm also not surprised they'll drop the HT 42mm. I assume the sales figures are also pretty low compared to those of the SF, and having two top lines probably doesn't make much sense. Not sure about the 54mm HT, at least not as long as they don't have a replacement.

What I'm wondering about is if and WHEN there'll be a 32mm SF. 8x42, 10x42, 8x32, that's the binoculars that sell in the marketplace, with all others well down the line. They've still got the Victory FL 8x32 (and the 10x32), but I think they may be in for a replacement, even though they're still excellent binoculars, even by today's standards.

Hermann

Look for some (SUPER CLOSEOUT) HT deals soon. From what I'm hearing about the new Noctivid, I would expect a mass exodus away from Zeiss and Swarovski soon, they will both surely go belly up.:-O

If Zeiss were to end the HT line, I would hope they would be able to use HT glass in some version of the SF. According to those that have tested both, the HT still rules in terms of outright image quality - with whiter whites, more neutral colours and greater contrast, giving a more dynamic and transparent image.

The 10X42 HT is a fantastic binocular, but I would give the edge to the SF that I currently own. The first SF I looked at last December was off some in comparison to the HT I believe. I won't argue with anyone preferring the HT though, they are just too good for that kind of pettiness.

If Zeiss were to end the HT line, I would hope they would be able to use HT glass in some version of the SF. According to those that have tested both, the HT still rules in terms of outright image quality - with whiter whites, more neutral colours and greater contrast, giving a more dynamic and transparent image.

The 10X42 HT is a fantastic binocular, but I would give the edge to the SF that I currently own. The first SF I looked at last December was off some in comparison to the HT I believe. I won't argue with anyone preferring the HT though, they are just too good for that kind of pettiness.

Is there any information from Zeiss that they tweaked more than the focus and armour on the 2nd gen? There is still much disagreement in regards to colour cast with the SF but consensus seems to be that HT has more contrast. What do you think?

Definitely more contrast with the HT, that I am fairly well sure of, when looking at things with my eyes only, I don't see quite the contrast and saturation that I see in the SV, HT, and especially the Kowa Genesis. The SF looks a little more neutral to me, more like what my eyes see on they're own, some would say more washed out and that's also a valid observation. What is the proper amount of contrast, I'm not sure, a high level of contrast is exciting for sure. Lee owns both the 10X SF and HT and sees more detail in shadows with the HT, I would have thought the opposite, but I don't have the HT any longer to make a comparison.

Is there any information from Zeiss that they tweaked more than the focus and armour on the 2nd gen? There is still much disagreement in regards to colour cast with the SF but consensus seems to be that HT has more contrast. What do you think?

I'm kind of surprised if the demise of the HT is imminent. I understand it was introduced as a stop-gap improvement to the FL to allow a window for the SF development. I would have thought the x42s at least were well enough received for a bit more longevity.

David

Last edited:
I'm kind of surprised if the demise of the HT is imminent. I understand it was introduced as a stop-gap improvement to the FL to allow a window for the SF development. I would have thought the x42s at least were well enough received for a bit more longevity.

David

I am not convinced that HT is about to die despite this report.

Lee

The original post #1 (above) gives an anonymous quote from a Zeiss rep.

I wonder what Gary from Zeiss has to say about the futures of the HT and a 7X binocular?

Bob

Last edited:
Jan ... Do you know anything about the ongoing status of the HT that you can share?

The first reaction of me, reading the post, was... Bogus.
A rep misinterpretated/trying to be interesting.

The Zeiss Photo reps don't do the Optics and visa versa.
The reason for no HT's present at the show is more likely to be found in the fact that the Photo reps don't know SH.. about optics (and visa versa) so questions about differences in SF/HT/Conquest and Terra's will be answered by them in a "spacy" way avoiding details and maybe saying stupid things like the poster has heard. I don't doubt the poster for a second. I just don't believe the source.
That's why I reached out to my Zeiss rep and I'll let you know his answer.

To be continued.....

Jan

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back