• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod recommendations for Pentax 80ED A? (1 Viewer)

COGoshawk

Bird Slut-I'll look at anything
Fellow Pentaxians:

I am using my 80 ED Angled with a very sturdy but older tripod. I thought I would like to lighten the weight of this setup with a new tripod and I was wondering what other folks are using and are happy with. I've looked at the vortex summit series and am very aware of the Bogen/Manfrotto options (and the prices!). I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Vortex tripods or other tripods that are less expensive than the typical Manfrotto leg/head combos that seem to run around 250$US and up, particulalry as you start looking at carbon fiber.

Thanks for any input you can provide, and hope you are having some great birding!

Ed
Evergreen, CO

If you can't afford it the carbon fiber models aren't worth it, they don't shave THAT much weight off. If you don't want to pay full retail check out eBay, I was able to buy a Bogen 3011 + a 3126 fluid head for $70 last year. To wrap up my nice eBay experience, I decided the 3011 was unnecessarily heavy for my little PF-65, so I ended up finding a 3001 for $50 on eBay and sold the 3011 for almost $100, ending up with a net cost for 3001 + 3126 head of about $20! Good times!

With a little patience, you can find a great deal on a Bogen/Manfrotto setup from eBay.

A 3001 (190 in Manfrotto numbers) is probably a little too light for a PF-80, although I know of others who use it. A 3011 is probably the sweet spot -- the 3021 (the 55 in Manfrotto numbers) is a great tripod but probably heavier than what you are looking for. I thought the 3011 was great, but like I said just a little more tripod than I needed.

Whatever you get, do NOT skimp on the head! The 3126/3130 is a gem, and worth the 2 pounds of weight! When I try other people's cheap scope setups with those jerky non-fluid heads, it's impossible to track a bird or smoothly pan. With my 3126, I set the tension how I like it and then just pan away, and when I stop, the scope stops too.

Do some searches on this forum and the tripod section, there is a lot of discussion on tripods.

Ed,

A Summit STX from Eagle Optics is $180.
A Manfrotto 190XB and a 128RC (same as the 3130) is $209.
A Manfrotto 055XB and a 128RC is $242.

Are the Manfrottos worth the extra cash? My vote is yes, I just bought a 055XWNB and a 128RC head for my PF-80ED. The WN is the "wilderness model" with retractable spikes.

I don't think that Manfrotto makes the 3011 anymore, although they may still be available, especially second-hand.

I do think that, depending on your height, that a 190XB would be sufficient for the angled version of the scope, I have the straight through version which is why I went with the 055.

I agree completely with eitanaltman about the head. I have the 3130 head which is the same as the 3126 but with a quick release plate. I would recommend the quick release model if you put the scope on and off the tripod often. This head is awesome for tracking birds or for tweaking your view slightly to center a bird in your view.

I know that you were looking for something cheap that was just as good, but this "bargain" is going to be supporting equipment worth roughly $1000. To me it is not something that I want to skimp on.

My friends say that I am cheap, I say that I am frugal. I don't mind spending money on something that is a good value, and if I had it to do over I would not hesitate to buy the Manfrotto again.

Mike

Thanks for the sage advice!

Thank you eitanaltman and jempler for your input. You basically endorsed the direction my thoughts were taking. Jempler I also agree with your frugal vs cheap comment. I like to buy right the first time, it ultimately saves money, and the advice you both provided will help me do that.

Thanks again.

Ed

Advice followed!

Found a reasonable ($70+shipping) deal on a Bogen 3011 + a 3126 fluid head in eBay as was suggested in the replies to my initial post. I am really looking forward to getting my scope on this and getting out with it! Thanks again for all the helpful advice.

Ed

Nice work!! Frankly, with something like a tripod, I see no reason to pay the premium for a new product when you can get stuff like this for less than 50% of retail price on eBay. It's not like a complicated piece of electronics that you may be stuck with no warranty, it's a frickin' tripod. These Bogen tripods are sturdy and reliable, and as long as the seller has good feedback I wouldn't be worried. Great job, you will be much happier with this setup, the 3126/3130 heads are really outstanding.

I use a BENRO carbon tripod and a BENRO head with mp PF-80ED for digiscoping. Very low price, extremely stable and well built.
Benro C-298N6 Carbon Tripod
Benro KS-1 Ball Head

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back