• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod backpack? ( UK ) (2 Viewers)

Thrupenney Bit

United Kingdom
Hi Gang,
I'm just getting going again after a very long layoff, and have realised my Manfrotto 290/200 tripod head's quick release quite firmly holds my telescope without me releasing it every time. Until now I've been carrying the 'scope on the shoulder strap and carrying the tripod either in my hand or using it's own shoulder strap. It's a bit tiring and unwieldy but it works.
Today's experiment was fix the scope on the tripod, attach a safety clip ( in case of a 'quick release'! ) and shoulder the scope and tripod fully extended.
After a quick test walk today, it kept hold of my 'scope quite firmly ( with a safety clip on just in case! ).

I was then thinking, I wonder if a backpack might be worth looking at?
Then I could backpack my 'scope and tripod leaving hands free for bins and notepad.

A quick google throws up 'Visionary Backpack' at Amazon ( I'm not overly keen of using them but I have a voucher ), and I've seen Cley Spy's 'Mulepack' advertised which looks well made.

Any thoughts, recommendations etc as to what you use?
thanks
Q

Thanks for your thoughts.
I've been nosing around reviews, and some reports of zip failures, loose stitching etc. makes me think I need to tread a little carefully.

Hi Q.

I carry mine over my shoulder with a tripod strap as it's a bit quicker to deploy but you are more aware of the weight with it all on one shoulder, really best with either a light scope or a light tripod or ideally both. Another option would be to carry the whole lot inside a bag as many do - I can get my tripod and scope in a satchel bag for the walk home.

I've used those bags tripod holder thingy's in the past but i just felt a bit Ghostbusters on anything other than an rspb reserve.

Much to mull over.

Hi Q.

I carry mine over my shoulder with a tripod strap as it's a bit quicker to deploy but you are more aware of the weight with it all on one shoulder, really best with either a light scope or a light tripod or ideally both. Another option would be to carry the whole lot inside a bag as many do - I can get my tripod and scope in a satchel bag for the walk home.

I've used those bags tripod holder thingy's in the past but i just felt a bit Ghostbusters on anything other than an rspb reserve.

Much to mull over.
Morning.
Yes, plenty to mull over, including what to do about a somewhat sore shoulder after a ~ 1.5 hour amble with the scope attached and tripod shouldered. I need to carry out a bird count which usually takes me about 4 hours. Hmmm!

Before I've quick released the scope and shouldered it with its shoulder strap and carried the tripod extended in my hands. I might go back to that and just see how it goes.

I am trying to carry out a bird count across a wetland where my x8 bins are not quite powerful enough. At a couple of places I'm looking at a flock of gulls that I need to sort and again the x20 scope is a great help.
Recently for this project is the first time I've used the scope/tripod since buying it a long while ago and then not using it.
The scope and tripod certainly don't fit into the new 'lighter' range but it does the job of providing larger images to sort out gulls etc. My kitchen scales tell me the scope is about 1.8kg.
With an 'Infocus' field day locally in a month or so I might see how the scope compares to the new breed of lighter smaller kit.

At the moment every time I'm out I'm finding new ways to carry it, use it etc. so every day is a learning day!!

Last edited:
I bought the Scopac, without the benefit of trying any others. The design of the Scopac itself is fine - it is quite utilitarian, and made out of a good cordura-type material. The problem I had was with the attachments. The buckles which were used to tighten the straps were made out of smooth plastic and made it impossible to tighten the straps. The buckle clips (with a male and female end) were also very weak and used to come undone. In the end I just secured everything with cable ties and it has been fine since. Sadly I wouldn't buy it again.

Thanks for your comments regarding the Scopac.
I briefly looked at others yesterday and looked at the reviews online. I know reviews can give opinions either way but there seems to be a common theme. You either get one that is fine or problems with zips, stitching or similar things occur.
I've only seen 2 reviews of the 'Mulepack' from Cley Spy, though they are positive and imply it's a well built product.

"I am trying to carry out a bird count across a wetland where my x8 bins are not quite powerful enough."

A sort of rule of thumb used to be 8X for woodland and 10X for wetland. Perhaps some 10X bins might just be powerful enough ? Might be worth a look at the field day.

Scope on tripod on shoulder with legs extended maximises readiness because birds don't often hang about. If you don't need the highest level of readiness then separating the scope and tripod, or IMO the minimum readiness option of a Scopac solution may work for you. How often do you stop and use the scope ?

"I am trying to carry out a bird count across a wetland where my x8 bins are not quite powerful enough."

A sort of rule of thumb used to be 8X for woodland and 10X for wetland. Perhaps some 10X bins might just be powerful enough ? Might be worth a look at the field day.

Scope on tripod on shoulder with legs extended maximises readiness because birds don't often hang about. If you don't need the highest level of readiness then separating the scope and tripod, or IMO the minimum readiness option of a Scopac solution may work for you. How often do you stop and use the scope ?
On our first 'training' walk with the ranger explained our best mode of operation was to count across the wetland walking down one side on the footpath.
We were all struggling to sort out ducks at the far side and concluded that as we all were using x8's, we needed more power!
Our ranger friend, a Swarovski enthusiast, mentioned their x12 bins but.... they come at a price!
I dug out my old hardly ever used before telescope, and with a x20 eyepiece and it does the trick.

I tend to only use the scope if struggling to identify, perhaps a couple of times along the main stretch but then do need it to sort out gulls in 2 places. I don't need to be in a state of readiness at all times.
I've functioned so far by carrying the tripod, setting it up when needed and then fixing the scope using it's quick release. Not super quick at all, but it has worked for me and done the job.

I now realise the quick release is more secure than I'd first imagined and I can rig the scope carrying strap as a safety strap, so was thinking maybe a backpack might be a more comfortable, hence this post.

Update:
Well, I ended up buying a Mulepack from Cley Spy.
In the end it is now only slightly more expensive than the Scopac and I hadn'r read any negative reviews.
As it seems like one deluge after another here, I only managed to get out yesterday for a maiden voyage with it.

It worked for me!
I have an old Manfrotto 290 tripod which is good and solid.
I attached the Optolyth 'scope to it, with a loop of the carrying strap around a leg just in case the quick release lived up to it's name.
The tripod has 3 sectioned legs, one fixed and 2 adjustable. I found I could carry it with the second leg extended, a slightly wide load ( no really narrow footpaths ) and meaning one less to fiddle with, then dropping down the last leg when needing to check out some gulls.
It all worked for me. Comfortable with not too much fiddling when setting up.

One very quick thought occurred:
My Optolyth is a straight 'scope. I realised that possibly if it was an angled 'scope I might well get away with not needing to extend the last leg, just raise the centre column to it's maximum.
I now might have to review my telescope choices!!!

It worked for me!
I have an old Manfrotto 290 tripod which is good and solid.
I attached the Optolyth 'scope to it, with a loop of the carrying strap around a leg just in case the quick release lived up to it's name.
The tripod has 3 sectioned legs, one fixed and 2 adjustable. I found I could carry it with the second leg extended, a slightly wide load ( no really narrow footpaths ) and meaning one less to fiddle with, then dropping down the last leg when needing to check out some gulls.
It all worked for me. Comfortable with not too much fiddling when setting up.
Sounds good.
One very quick thought occurred:
My Optolyth is a straight 'scope. I realised that possibly if it was an angled 'scope I might well get away with not needing to extend the last leg, just raise the centre column to it's maximum.
I now might have to review my telescope choices!!!
Yes, angled scopes do have some serious advantages: Shorter tripods, easier to view birds high up in the sky or in tree tops and so on. The only situation where a straight scope works better is when you're watching from inside your car and in (some) hides.

Hermann

Sounds good.

Yes, angled scopes do have some serious advantages: Shorter tripods, easier to view birds high up in the sky or in tree tops and so on. The only situation where a straight scope works better is when you're watching from inside your car and in (some) hides.

Hermann
Thanks Hermann.
When we bought the 'scope a long while back, it was to use specifically in a hide, and the straight 'scope was at a good price and suited the venue.
Now, many years later it's been dug out to use at a wetland venue, moving around the perimeter and being used in a totally different way.
I think if the opportunity arises, I'll see if I can change it for an angled scope as that will better suit my needs now.
Especially if I can use it without needing to fully extend the tripod legs..... maybe, hopefully!

Thanks Hermann.
When we bought the 'scope a long while back, it was to use specifically in a hide, and the straight 'scope was at a good price and suited the venue.
Now, many years later it's been dug out to use at a wetland venue, moving around the perimeter and being used in a totally different way.
I think if the opportunity arises, I'll see if I can change it for an angled scope as that will better suit my needs now.
Especially if I can use it without needing to fully extend the tripod legs..... maybe, hopefully!
Hopefully the pack suits you well. Swarovsky recommend not to carry ATX/BTX scope attached to tripods. If I carry mine still attached, it is only for up to 100 m on flat ground with the tripod as close to vertical as I can tolerate. I worry about too much torque in areas where only compression is expected in the design process. Threaded screw shafts is one example where torque by the scope on the tripod may exceed design limits.

Thanks for that.
I didn't know Swarovski carried that recommendation, thank you for drawing my attention to it.
I have seen their scopes carried like it, so I am surprised.
The quick release on my tripod works well. If I did change it for an angled scope, it might be an option to carry the scope on a shoulder strap and snap it into place when setting up the tripod. It does rely on the scope having a case with a shoulder strap though.

My current use is to walk around a wetland footpath network which is flat, and the scope is sat 'flat' on the tripod plate so no tension on the screw attaching the qr plate to it...
Still it is an interesting thought to keep in mind, thanks.

Last edited:
Hopefully the pack suits you well. Swarovsky recommend not to carry ATX/BTX scope attached to tripods.
That's interesting. Are they talking about all ATX scopes? Or only the big boys? Only with the BTX attached or also the scope on its own? I need to check the Swarovski manuals. BTW, do the ATX scopes have only a 1/4" or also a 3/8" tripod bush?

The thing is this: All the birders I know carry their tripods with the scope attached to the head. It's a lot faster to set up when you suddenly come across something interesting. I never heard of any problems with the tripod bush, but then I don't know many people who use one of the big Swaros with the BTX attached.

Hermann

Swarovsky recommend not to carry ATX/BTX scope attached to tripods.
Agree with Hermann above that that makes no sense as a general recommendation for scope carrying.
Wasn't there an issue shortly after the introduction of of the ATX/STX scopes of the prism/eyepiece module becoming inadvertantly detached from the objective module?

John

Both the Swarovski ATX and BTX in English subsection (which looks similar in all the other languages I can parse) have transport guidance remarks which include:

"Transport in two sections." This remark is not modified to suggest limiting to any specific size of ATX or BTX.

As for the mounting bush, both ATX and BTX have the following:

"The tripod base has a connecting thread of 3/8" UNC. The inserted bush reduces the connecting thread to 1/4" UNC. The spotting scope fits any standard tripod head, either directly or using an adapter plate."

The file versions I downloaded seem to have a 20 Jan 2023 date in their titles.

For personal context, I have ATX/BTX 115 with the BR balance rail, the PCT professional carbon tripod, and most of the other accessories. I especially like the BP backpack 30 given the mass of the setup.

Last edited:
Both the Swarovski ATX and BTX in English subsection (which looks similar in all the other languages I can parse) have transport guidance remarks which include:

"Transport in two sections." This remark is not modified to suggest limiting to any specific size of ATX or BTX.
Thank you. That makes perfect sense to me. The weak point is probably the bayonet of the BTX that attaches to the scope, and given the weight of the BTX you need to avoid stressing it too much. And then it doesn't matter what size the scope is.
As for the mounting bush, both ATX and BTX have the following:

"The tripod base has a connecting thread of 3/8" UNC. The inserted bush reduces the connecting thread to 1/4" UNC. The spotting scope fits any standard tripod head, either directly or using an adapter plate."
With any big scope I'd always use an adapter plate with a 3/8'' screw. Far more secure. That said, my ED82 - not really a light scope - only has a 1/4'' connecting thread. Never had any problems so far.
For personal context, I have ATX/BTX 115 with the BR balance rail, the PCT professional carbon tripod, and most of the other accessories. I especially like the BP backpack 30 given the mass of the setup.
Wow. That's a great combination. How much does you backpack with all your gear weigh?

Hermann

Users who are viewing this thread

Back