• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod backpack? ( UK ) (1 Viewer)

I always use my BTX 115 on a scope carrier and have had no issues so far (though experiences may vary). I would be wary of undoing the bayonet connection, which I think is what is being suggested, except in circumstances where I can be absolutely sure no rain or dust will land on the lenses. The small lenses (particularly on the BTX unit) are recessed and would be very difficult to clean.

Also, Swarovski in their promotional material show scopes being carried over the shoulder, which I would have thought would exert much more pressure on the tripod foot and the bayonet connection than the scopes being carried horizontally on a tripod carrier:

I always use my BTX 115 on a scope carrier and have had no issues so far (though experiences may vary). I would be wary of undoing the bayonet connection, which I think is what is being suggested, except in circumstances where I can be absolutely sure no rain or dust will land on the lenses. The small lenses (particularly on the BTX unit) are recessed and would be very difficult to clean.

Also, Swarovski in their promotional material show scopes being carried over the shoulder, which I would have thought would exert much more pressure on the tripod foot and the bayonet connection than the scopes being carried horizontally on a tripod carrier:

Well, that picture seems to debunk the myth!

I have seen on retailer's websites a 'Swarovski Balance Rail', and not really understood what it was for.
Am I right in thinking that from comments here, that it is a more firm and secure fixing for the scope rather than the simple single screw from the tripod head?

The balance rail has an Arca Swiss footplate that allows greater forward to rear adjustment for balancing purposes (e.g. when using a tripod head with an Arca Swiss attachment). It also provides a rest which helps support the rear of the scope. But it doesn't make the connection between the tripod and the scope more secure. In fact I would think that the most secure connection would be the Arca Swiss tripod foot mounting directly into the tripod head.

Update:
Well, I ended up buying a Mulepack from Cley Spy.
It worked for me!

I'd be interested to know how a pack like this works when it's blowing a gale. Unless it's detached from the tripod during viewing, I suspect it will act like a sail, which is why I've never been tempted. I guess if it's only used in a hide, there isn't an issue, but that's very limiting.

Personally, I think it's so quick and easy to attach a scope to a tripod, that while walking I'd rather have the scope in a backpack and the tripod attached to the side of the pack, or in one hand. I bought a Tenba Axis V2 16l for this purpose.

I'd be interested to know how a pack like this works when it's blowing a gale. Unless it's detached from the tripod during viewing, I suspect it will act like a sail, which is why I've never been tempted. I guess if it's only used in a hide, there isn't an issue, but that's very limiting.

Personally, I think it's so quick and easy to attach a scope to a tripod, that while walking I'd rather have the scope in a backpack and the tripod attached to the side of the pack, or in one hand. I bought a Tenba Axis V2 16l for this purpose.
I can answer that!
On monday I went for a bird count. Not ideal conditions, just past the top of a spring tide, forecast gusting 45+mph winds ( beyond Gale Force ). After the deluges the previous few days and before the next deluges.... so I decided to give it a go.

One part requires me to walk onto a spit of land and look back towards the river mouth, a very exposed and higher elevation than the rest. Yes the tripod was being blown, but I could hardly stand either! No birds visible, except a small few sheltering behind the slightly elevated mudflats.
I continued to the top of the wetland and here it was gusting even more. I really could hardly stand. I made sure the scope and tripod was cradled by my arm around the scope and leg 'inside' the 3 legs of the tripod whilst counting. Though not the best conditions, it enabled me to carry out an amazing count as all the birds were across some scrubby pasture, sheltering. Just before a friend had a reserve largest count of Little Egrets, though some were gone by the time I was there. Heron, Canada Geese and an Egyptian Goose in with the Canada's, plus Moorhen, Widgeon, Shellduck, Curlew etc.
It was amazing to see them all concentrated from across the wetland into such a small area.

It was incredibly windy but I never felt the backpack was making the tripod into a sail, no more than my body was buffeted.
All in all a mad day, but glad I saw what I saw.

I've realised the Mule has an add-on removable pouch at the back that has a drinks holder which enabled me to take a break and drink water. Useful on a 4 hour trip.
Also I've discovered if I deploy the lower legs only, I can reach back and undo the middle legs whilst still on my back therefore taking it off fully extended and 'ready to go' .
Having carried the tripod in my hand or over the shoulder for a few counts, having it on my back really is an improvement.
It allows me to have hands free for bins and to make notes when counting. Deploying it might not be instant but overall this works very well for me.

It was incredibly windy but I never felt the backpack was making the tripod into a sail, no more than my body was buffeted.

Not sure you understood my point. It was, that when viewing - with the tripod and scope deployed and not on your back - in any significant wind, there would be tripod shake if the tripod pack remained attached to it. Thus:

Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 18.12.37.png

Not sure you understood my point. It was, that when viewing - with the tripod and scope deployed and not on your back - in any significant wind, there would be tripod shake if the tripod pack remained attached to it. Thus:

View attachment 1561978
Ah, apologies.
I've not noticed shake before despite being out in breezy conditions. I've an older Manfrotto 290 which I suspect is a relatively heavy tripod compared to the current crop, which might anchor it more firmly if breezy. Also the eyepiece is a x20w so again at this magnification I don't know if shake would be apparent.
I've been more interested in quickly identifying birds beyond the range of my bins and moving on rather than savouring a close up image of something.

... and certainly tripod shake was the least of my worries the other day!

I find that if a manufacturer gives you multiple screw holes on the bottom of your scope you use them…. All! This way I know that the scope won’t budge. (I have one optic with 3 bolts on).

Peter

I find that if a manufacturer gives you multiple screw holes on the bottom of your scope you use them…. All! This way I know that the scope won’t budge. (I have one optic with 3 bolts on).

Peter
I think mine has only 1, but I've got a loop on the tripod where I can loop the case strap through so it won't hit the ground if it comes undone from the tripod head.
Following on from another thread, I've put a turn of PTFE plumber's tape around the screw attaching the qr plate to the scope which has firmed up the screw and now doesn't move.

Update:
Since starting this thread, I've changed my scope from a straight to an angled one.
Therefore, with only one part of the tripod legs extended I can use the central column to raise the angled scope to eye level.
Also, with only one of the two legs extended, I can leave them extended and walk around the wetland to carry out my bird count. Just take the backpack off, raise the centre column and off you go!
I did this for the first time today and the new angled scope worked well by just raising the centre column.
It made the walk around really pleasurable, and easy to deploy when needing to check out and identify a bird beyond the reach of my x8 bins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back