• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Africa in April (1 Viewer)

pstraughan

We are currently planning a trip in April. Having been to SA twice before (I was not a birdwatcher at the time!) we know that the route we want to do is: fly to Cape Town, a week based there or nearby, Garden route to Port Elizabeth, fly to Jo'burg (we have relatives there), Kruger Park. This will be about 3 weeks in total.

I'd appreciate any advice on birdwatching places to visit in those areas, also what we can expect to see at that time of year.

Thanks

Pat

Hi Pat,
you will have a fabulous time in SA. I have just returned from 2 weeks in the Kruger area. Which part of the Kruger will you be visiting?
Allan

We are currently planning a trip in April. Having been to SA twice before (I was not a birdwatcher at the time!) we know that the route we want to do is: fly to Cape Town, a week based there or nearby, Garden route to Port Elizabeth, fly to Jo'burg (we have relatives there), Kruger Park. This will be about 3 weeks in total.

I'd appreciate any advice on birdwatching places to visit in those areas, also what we can expect to see at that time of year.

Thanks

Pat

Hi, Pat,

Take a look at Birding Worldwide/Your Local Patch/Southern African Forum.

You should find some info there.

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Hi Pat,
you will have a fabulous time in SA. I have just returned from 2 weeks in the Kruger area. Which part of the Kruger will you be visiting?
Allan

We've visited the Kruger twice. We felt that the southern half of the Park is better from the point of view of seeing more species, though some people think it is like the zoo and busier than the north. Also the time we went to the north it was 45 degrees!

Pat

I've birded independently in South Africa a couple of times - get hold of a copy of The Southern African Birdfinder, you'll find it invaluable. Have a great time.

We've visited the Kruger twice. We felt that the southern half of the Park is better from the point of view of seeing more species, though some people think it is like the zoo and busier than the north. Also the time we went to the north it was 45 degrees!

Pat

Hi Pat,
We have also found that the South has a greater concentration of game (but I do like the north as well), and it is busier.
On the temperature front it can get very hot in the south as well - on our trip it was well into the 40's one day (reported 50 at some point in the park). Fortunately on that day we stayed at home with the air-con at full blast:-O

Have a great trip
Allan

Hi Dave,
I wouldn't hesitate to let you know of a good guide in South Africa. Have you ever heard about BIRDING ECOTOURS it is a good company that could advise you on the best locations if you could try to locate CHRIS LOTZ's is an excellent guide there, who might be valuable to your time down there.

good luck in your plans
Joseph Mwangi
Kenya

I dont know much about birding in the Cape, but when I went to Kirstenbosch I saw a large number of birds. As for the Garden route, you will find a list of birds to be seen here:

http://www.coastalbirding.co.za/CB list.htm

and this site will also give you some good birding areas.

Southern Kruger is great for birds and is two or three degrees cooler than the North. It is still pretty hot in April; what we always do is have the car aircon full on 'feet' and the windows open for viewing! Really helps.

Have a wonderful time and please tell us what you saw!

Birding in Cape Town will really depend on your mobility (would you make use of the very little public transport, hire a taxi, hire your own car?) as well as the kinds of birds you are interested in seeing.

Perhaps a good Cape Town option would be a boat trip to see pelagics? We have some excellent water birds at various 'vleis' (pronounced 'flays') - a small body of water typically surrounded by reed beds. These are good for waterfowl and the like. The Garden Route is an excellent choice - plenty to see there.

I've birded independently in South Africa a couple of times - get hold of a copy of The Southern African Birdfinder, you'll find it invaluable. Have a great time.

Second this it'll tell you want to go. Definately go on a pelagic. I was in western South Africa last summer and in the east, including two weeks in Kruger, a few years ago so if you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Hello Pat, I recently returned from a visit to South Africa. When travelling along the Garden Route you go through an area called "The Crags" which is located just north of Plettenberg Bay. It is here where the world's largest free flight bird sanctuary is located. It is called Birds of Eden, a bird photographers paradise. Definitely worth a visit!
Wishing you a pleasant trip.
Cheers - Herman

Pat
My experience is that there are far more bird species in northern Kruger. Unfortunately, the migrants all leave around the beginning of April.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back