• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Verano goes open bridge (1 Viewer)

MacGee

The latest issue of RSPB Birds magazine has an advert for the new Verano. Opticron has joined the fashion (craze?) for open bridge. The new model hasn't yet appeared on Opticron's website.

Michael

Attachments

• Opticron Verano 4.jpg
    Opticron Verano 4.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 259
The latest issue of RSPB Birds magazine has an advert for the new Verano. Opticron has joined the fashion (craze?) for open bridge. The new model hasn't yet appeared on Opticron's website.

Michael

Hi Michael,

The new Verano is out in November 2009 and will be available in 8x32,8x42 & 10x42.

The new Verano is out in November 2009 and will be available in 8x32,8x42 & 10x42.
Thanks, Rob. Do you have any specs?

I notice that Opticron hasn't joined the craze for calling bins ED or HD. Is this because none of their products are ED or HD or are they just being more subtle in marketing?

Michael

Thanks, Rob. Do you have any specs?

I notice that Opticron hasn't joined the craze for calling bins ED or HD. Is this because none of their products are ED or HD or are they just being more subtle in marketing?

Michael

Specs below.

No, I don't think we will be joining that craze. I feel that our products have the build and optical quality to stand up to any 'ED' binocular on the market anyway.

Mechanically the Verano benefits from;
• Internal focusing with close focus to 1.8 metres or under
• Nitrogen waterproof construction to a depth of 3 metres
• Highly durable textured rubber covering for comfort and grip
• Revised Opticron ‘house style’ wide wheel focusing
• Smooth action aluminium twist type eyecup assemblies
• Comprehensive 30 year guarantee.

Field of view (m)
8x32 = 131
8x42 = 109
10x42 = 105

Min Focus (m)
8x32 = 1.5
8x42 = 1.8
10x42 = 1.8

Eyerelief (mm)
8x32 = 18
8x42 = 21
10x42 = 19

IPD (mm)
8x32 = 56~74
8x42 = 56~74
10x42 = 56~74

HxW (mm)
8x32 = 120x122
8x42 = 142x125
10x42 = 142x125

Weight (g)
8x32 = 524
8x42 = 654
10x42 = 653

Last edited:
And for the geeks like me who notice this sort of thing ... this isn't the same open-bridge enclosure as the Promaster/Hawke/ZenRay ED bins.

I think I've mentioned some other US OEMs that use this enclosure (and the same OEM) but AFAIK no have been reviewed here. And I think they were non-ED objectives too.

That said you have jumped on the open-bridge bandwagon ..... ;)

THough that might help tp keep the weight down for those of us who think in old money ...

524 grams = 18.5 ounces
654 grams = 23.1 ounces

Last edited:
That said you have jumped on the open-bridge bandwagon ..... ;)

Well, your dammed if you do and if you don't.

The good thing about this open-bridge binocular is that it is a well engineered Japanese product, and not a cheap low quality Chinese binocular, with a 10year guarantee.

Last edited:
The specs all sound excellent apart from the FOV of the 42 versions, which seems a little narrower than much of the competition. Are those figures correct? The 32 version sounds fine.

Ron

Last edited:
Hi ROB
How do these match up to the Imagic se they both are a similar price and i am wanting to upgrade frome my Nikon Monarchs 8x42 i had the Imagics on my list.
Thanks
Harold

The specs all sound excellent apart from the FOV of the 42 versions, which seems a little narrower than much of the competition. Are those figures correct? The 32 version sounds fine.

Ron

Hi Spring Chicken,

Your correct the field of view is not the widest in its class. The main reason for this is because when you widen the field of view in manufacturing, it causes the edges of the image to become softer, and therefore to correct this it comes at a cost. We could make the field of view on the new Verano at 7.8 degrees, but this would make the edges of the image distorted. 8x32's always have a wider field of view than 42's because of the way the binoculars are set out.

So to get a happy medium between the two, where you still get a good field of view and the sharpness of the image is not effected, we kept it at 6.2 degrees.

Which brings me on to Harolds question. The Imagic SE is a step up in price over the Verano at around £400. This will therefore give you a wider field of view but at a bit more cost.

Imagic SE FOV;

8x42 = 7.0
10x42 = 6.5
8x32 = 8.0.

The overall image you get through the Imagic SE has a better colour rendition, more sharper resolution and a better build quality (Although this makes the binoculars slightly heavier than a Verano)

Cheers

Rob :t:

Last edited:
Yes, thanks for the information Rob. I am a huge fan of Opticron products. They are well made, good value and have an excellent back up service (even down to you contributing to this forum). However, I do find the huge range of models, many of them overlapping, to be very confusing. As far as I can see there are now open bridge and closed bridge versions of the Verano running concurrently. I wouldn't know where to start if I was in the market for a pair of Opticron binoculars. I am all for consumer choice but, for a mere mortal like myself, it is all rather confusing. ;)

Ron

Try being the product manager Ron :)

The "old" Verano should be sold out very soon and the new one will only be going into retailers in a few weeks time. As always, timing these things to coincide perfectly with magazine publication dates, reviews etc is a bit of a black art!

Cheers, Pete

Long eye relief

It's good to see that Opticron is continuing to offer long eye relief. As a spectacle wearer I find that, while ~16mm is theoreticaly OK, 20mm or more is much more comfortable. Maybe with more of us oldies around it's good marketing too.

so which are the Verano's that are being phased out

30500, 30501, 30502

or

30435, 30433*

*These last two appear in the Opticron price list but not in the brochure.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back