• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

snow buntings (1 Viewer)

floydboy

Anybody seen the snowbuntings at SALTHOUSE NORFOLK so far this year ? i am going up to NORFOLK on thursday with the hope of getting some photos.
cheers
FLOYDBOY.

hi Floydboy and welcome to BirdForum from all the mods.

I have moved this thread to the Norfolk section where you might get more responses. The snow buntings have tended to settle in at Salthouse later in the year, but in previous years the are has been regularly seeded by a local birder, I don't know if he'll be doing this again this winter (it costs him a fair bit each year).

Anybody seen the snowbuntings at SALTHOUSE NORFOLK so far this year ? i am going up to NORFOLK on thursday with the hope of getting some photos.
cheers
FLOYDBOY.

I managed to get some photos of a flock of around 20 on the shingle ridge between Cley and Salthouse earlier in the month, but no sign today, probably because of the large amount of people in that area. Holkham Bay or Titchwell may be better sites at the moment.

Regards,
James

Attachments

• Snow Bunting small.jpg
    Snow Bunting small.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 84
Last Saturday morning there was a flock of 20+ behind the North Hide at Cley. However, they soon went East towards Salthouse. I agree this was probably a result of the numbers of people along the beach.
Probably best to sit and wait near if you see them, they seem easily disturbed when in a large flock, but will come closer if they get used to your presence. Managed this last Saturday in the drizzle...

http://www.birdguides.com/iris/pict...r=1&off=223302&album=865&v=0&votes=17&since=7

they are bound to still be in the area around Salthouse but range all the way along the beach from Blakeney Point to Weybourne. Your best bet is to take a slow walk from Coastguards to at least Kelling and I reckon you'll have a high chance of seeing them. If they really have been bothered by the number of people, a likely place they will go is the ploughed fields directly to the East of Weybourne car park.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back