• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Ray/Cameraland (1 Viewer)

Yes, Cameraland New York is now our authorized dealer. As many of you can testify, Doug and his team really bring the meaning of customer service to the cloud of their own.)

I cannot say enough good things about CameraLand, and have been a fan and a customer for both cameras and optics for more years than I care to admit. That Doug has now signed on as a dealer for Zen Ray is a powerful affirmation of both Zen Ray as a company and its products.

We are very excited about working with Zen Ray. If there is anything we can answer for you about their product line please feel free to contact us.

Heh!

http://www.cameralandny.com/demos-zenray.html

I never though to look before!

I've bough a few demos from Cameraland (not ZR ones obviously) and they've always been good.

Kevin, You need to fix the "t" key on your keyboard! :)

Glad to hear Cameraland is carrying Zen Rays. Funny, because not long ago someone was dissing ZR because it didn't have dealers, but was merely "an office with a couple guys importing bins from China" (I'm paraphrasing, but not too far off).

Hopefully, Cameraland will lend an air of legitimacy for those who still doubt the high quality of ZR optics.

I think those who say things like that must no idea of how a small business works. You don't just make a new line of binoculars, put up a Website, and your bins suddenly appear at all the big name camera stores like companies that have been around for half a century or more such as Nikon, Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, Bushnell, etc.

You start with Baby Steps. Just ask Bill Murray. :)

Oberwerk also started selling their bins exclusively through their Website, and now other stores carry their bins. Vortex started out selling their optics through only one store, Eagle Optics, and now their products can be found at other dealers.

I'm quite impressed at how fast Vortex's product lines grew. That must have taken a large infusion of capital. Fortunately, most of this development happened before the credit markets froze.

I'd like to see Zen Ray eventually branch out into larger format and higher magnification ED bins and ED spotting scopes, and also make rifle scopes and rangefinders. I don't hunt, but I think it would help the company win over more hunters, and having more than one market would improve the company's bottom line and benefit birders in the long run with more $$$ for designing, developing, and manufacturing new birding bins and scopes.

But for now ZR is concentrating mainly on improving the products they already have, and getting more of them sold, and that's a wise move in this economy.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the recession has helped ZR. It reminds me of the gas crisis in the 1970s when the sale of Japanese cars suddenly soared. I bought a Datzun 240 Z in the early 80s. While the quality of the steel could have been better (rusted easily), the car's performance matched that of sports cars costing 3-5x as much. Sound familiar? :)

Congratulations! Charles and company with finding your first US dealer. Keep up the good work.

Kevin, You need to fix the "t" key on your keyboard! :)

Glad to hear Cameraland is carrying Zen Rays. Funny, because not long ago someone was dissing ZR because it didn't have dealers, but was merely "an office with a couple guys importing bins from China" (I'm paraphrasing, but not too far off).

Hopefully, Cameraland will lend an air of legitimacy for those who still doubt the high quality of ZR optics.

I think those who say things like that must no idea of how a small business works. You don't just make a new line of binoculars, put up a Website, and your bins suddenly appear at all the big name camera stores like companies that have been around for half a century or more such as Nikon, Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, Bushnell, etc.

You start with Baby Steps. Just ask Bill Murray. :)

Oberwerk also started selling their bins exclusively through their Website, and now other stores carry their bins. Vortex started out selling their optics through only one store, Eagle Optics, and now their products can be found at other dealers.

I'm quite impressed at how fast Vortex's product lines grew. That must have taken a large infusion of capital. Fortunately, most of this development happened before the credit markets froze.

I'd like to see Zen Ray eventually branch out into larger format and higher magnification ED bins and ED spotting scopes, and also make rifle scopes and rangefinders. I don't hunt, but I think it would help the company win over more hunters, and having more than one market would improve the company's bottom line and benefit birders in the long run with more $$$ for designing, developing, and manufacturing new birding bins and scopes.

But for now ZR is concentrating mainly on improving the products they already have, and getting more of them sold, and that's a wise move in this economy.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the recession has helped ZR. It reminds me of the gas crisis in the 1970s when the sale of Japanese cars suddenly soared. I bought a Datzun 240 Z in the early 80s. While the quality of the steel could have been better (rusted easily), the car's performance matched that of sports cars costing 3-5x as much. Sound familiar? :)

Congratulations! Charles and company with finding your first US dealer. Keep up the good work.
FWIW SWFA sells them to as well as Agina astro! (spelling) But, I'm glad Cameraland has jumped on board to! I've bought a few spotters as well as camera, glass etc... from Doug. Good people to deal with! Bryce...

Brock, thank you very much for the congratulations and your previous feedback on the 7x36 ED2!

We are thrilled to be able to work together with Doug and CLNY. By working with the best people in the field, we have the opportunity to better ourselves in product, quality and service. For more information about authorized dealers, please visit our website and click the "Zen-Ray Dealers" link.

Charles

Hey Doug do you guys have the Recon 15x50 in the store to try? I'm interested in that but only if I can see through it first.

Yes we do (well we did when I left the store today at 2) Give a call before you come down and speak with either me or Neil to make sure it is in when you're coming down

The analogy is really apt. I have been buying, using, and enjoying high end binoculars for more years than I care to admit and I am finally at a point where I simply cannot justify (and in these times, afford) spending $1500+ for an alpha. The Zens (and I now own 3) have been a revelation, providing remarkable optical performance and genuine user pleasure. The first Lexus LS model selling in the U.S. for a drive away $35,000 blew Mercedes out of its arrogant torpor and out of the water. I would make the same prediction for Zen Ray, and applaud Doug at Cameraland for getting on board in the first wave of dealer support.

Last edited:
and applaud Doug at Cameraland for getting on board in the first wave of dealer support.

Actually Doug "got on board" with ProMaster over a year year and a half ago. I would say it's safe to assume the ZenRay ED is superior but my example is good enough that I'm not spending another $400 to find out.

Dave

Glad to hear it Doug. I'm coming down tomorrow because it's the only day I can so whatever you have on hand will have to do.

I'm interested in the Recon 15x, the Zeiss Conquest 10x56 and possibly taking a look at the 10x25 mini's. I'll have to slow down my purchase rate though, I spent $4000 on bins with you guys last year!

Actually Doug "got on board" with ProMaster over a year year and a half ago. I would say it's safe to assume the ZenRay ED is superior but my example is good enough that I'm not spending another $400 to find out.

They are. I have both.

Same underlying design, I suspect but the dielectric mirror coating on the roof prism, slightly wider field stop and perhaps some minor coating changes make a small but noticeable difference of the ZR ED2 over the Promaster ELX ED.

Also mentioned in quite a few reviews/comments here.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back