• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Sea spring skua passage shock (1 Viewer)

Andrew Whitehouse

Professor of Listening
Supporter
Scotland
I went down to Fife Ness this afternoon and thought I'd do a bit of seawatching. There was a bit of northwesterly so I thought I might get a few Manxies and maybe there was the chance of a skua. When I got to the seawatching hide there was a guy who'd been looking for a bit and he said he'd seen 3 Bonxies, which is pretty impressive for Fife in spring. I settled down and within a few minutes had a couple of rather distant Bonxies. Eventually I managed 4, with the other two much closer in, 2 Arctics and (wait for it) Long-tailed Skua :bounce:

The latter was a bit of a way out but was against the sky and so the tail streamers were still very obvious. So small too, like a dark tern. LT Skua in spring in Fife is a real rarity but I noticed on Birdguides that there have been quite a few others in the North Sea today - anyone else connect?

There has definitely been a "fall" of Skua sightings around "our" coast over the last few days with a large number of what we would consider unseasonable records especially of Long-tailed's.

Whils the weather must play a key factor I suspect that the considerable increase in sea-watching at all times of the year must contribute.

There was a "big" (by spring standards) Long Tailed Passage yesterday on the east coast, Andrew.

One lingered off Newbiggin for most of the day and some were seen passing quite a few north-east coastal headlands.

A few days ago there were large numbers off the Western Isles and this has been followed by a few days of north or northwesterly winds presumably pushing at least some of these birds southwards and down into the North Sea. I guess the birds seen over the last couple of days have been reorientating northwards.

With the increase in seawatching, I suppose that's obviously going to help with picking up on these movements, in comparison to the past. There's still very little seawatching done in Fife in spring though. When I checked the log book in the seawatching hide at Fife Ness yesterday, there were only a couple of other entries in the last few weeks.

Andrew,

I suspect that some serious coverage would throw up some interesting records - oh for a bit of coastline - sea-watching in Manchester is both lonely and pointless!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back