• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visiting bird paradises (1 Viewer)

Florin Chirila

I have asked a travel agency in Romania to make me an offer for a birding tour in Turkey. They prepared a 7-days tour for me, including Nallihan (Ankara), Manyas and Sultan Marshes bird paradises. They told me i should save ~500 EUR just for access permits, entrance and photo fees. Is this customary in Turkey ? Do I have to pay to watch and take pics of birds ? Or is it just another scheme to extort more money ?

Came back last week after visiting sites including Akseki, Nigde, Demirkazik, Durnalik and Birecik and never saw anyone at all who wanted any money. The people there were most friendly and couldn't do enough to help.

They told me i should save ~500 EUR just for access permits, entrance and photo fees. Is this customary in Turkey ?

I believe your agency is misinformed, or is trying to cheat you.

Would you be happy to rent a car and travel independently? Turkey is a very easy country to birdwatch without asking an agency to organise for you.

Can the agency be trying to get you access to captive bird locations? (bird parks, zoos, etc.)? Not everybody will know and understand that you are interested in Wild birds.

Or alternatively, are they offering guides? (only worth it if the guides are good).

Niels

Dear all, thank you very much for your info. As a matter of fact I am planning to tour Turkey with my own car and my own „project management”, but I wanted to check the alternatives, as you never know what detail you might overlook. Glad I asked them, glad I clarified with you guys ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back