• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesvos - recent birds and updated bird checklist (1 Viewer)

Steve Dudley

aka The Toadsnatcher
United Kingdom
Visitors to my website will see that there have been a few of us out there this autumn and a few goodies have been seen.

September highlights include a Dotterel on 18th (3rd record if accepted), a Red-necked Grebe on 14th (7th record) and a Red-necked Phalarope 26-27th (c.12th record). Some decent raptors passage noted and a fair sprinkling of migrants until at least the 18th. A Plain Tiger butterfly was also seen on the 13th.

I've already started an October news section which includes the only White Pelican report of the autumn on the 2nd.

On the website I've also updated the online Lesvos bird checklist to include 2009 records as necessary and a few other changes including a revised format to make the list it easier to view online.

I hope to undertake the next update shortly after publication of the 2010 Lesvos Birds annual report in early 2011 and before the spring 2011 birding season.

To view the online bird checklist see here.

Top of the spots this week are two Pygmy Cormorants near Vatera. Photos on the Lesvos Birding website.

Terry Robinson continues to have plenty to see around Polichnitos Saltpans with over 90 Greater Flamingos, up to 10 Great White Egrets, 4 Black Storks, 14 Slender-billed Gulls, Black Redstart, Sardinian Warbler and up to 60 Serins. I wouldn't mind that sort of birding right now!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back