• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Swag & Swan Pool (1 Viewer)

monkeyman

Aviate. Navigate. Communicate.
Situated between Aldridge and Shelfield (off the A461 Walsall-Lichfield Rd) on Stubbers Green Road.

The Swag is the larger of the two pools and is used by Aldridge Sailng Club. They were created by the extraction of gravel in the area.

In winter time large flocks of gulls roost there, mostly Black Headed but with significant numbers of Herring and Lesser Black Backed. Greater Black Backs can be seen occasionally.

Waterfowl include Pochard, Tufted duck, Mallard, Red breasted Merganser and occasionally Teal, Wigeon and Goosander.

Lapwing congregate there in summer and Cormorants (anything up to half a dozen), Mute Swans (which nest every year) and Heron can regularly be seen. Large folcks of Canada Geese are a regular sight.

Many warblers abound in summer and wrens, robins, tits and dunnocks can be seen all year round.

Its main claim to fame was the Great White Egret which stayed two days in November 2002.

Yes it was definitely there on the Thursday AND the Friday! I only got to hear about it on the Saturday morning. We rushed round straight away but it had gone! While I was there I met a woman who lives close by and walks her dog there and she told me it was there both days. Rumour has it that it may be the same bird that has been at Chillington Hall . . .

And welcome to the Forum Andy! I visit the WMBC site quite regularly and receive your updates by email!

We're trying to get a West Mids cadre going for local trips as we now have a few members in the area; we could do with someone of your experience . . . fancy hanging out with us sometime?

Al Stewart

Last edited:
BTW Andy, the GWE was spotted on THE SWAG (West side of Stubbers Green Rd) where the herons and cormorants usually sit and not on Swan Pool, where you saw it

monkeyman said:
Yes it was definitely there on the Thursday AND the Friday! I only got to hear about it on the Saturday morning. We rushed round straight away but it had gone! While I was there I met a woman who lives close by and walks her dog there and she told me it was there both days.

Ah, definitely reported to have been there, then...

;)

Well, just because no one else from a "higher authority" didn't see it there doesn't mean to say it wasn't, does it?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back