• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birds (1 Viewer)

lmans66

Out Birding....
Supporter
United States
Has anyone used a macro for hummingbirds...I know there are a few cases where hummingbirds in South America are 'right there'...in your face.

Sometimes a foot or so away but usually in some areas it is pretty closer to 2-3 feet at closest point.

I am thinking of trying to kill two birds (sorry for pun) with one stone. Can I get a macro that can be used for ants etc....(with ext tubes) as well as using that same lens when needed (not a lot) for instances such as my hummingbirds.

Thoughts... ? I have at this point narrowed down what I like in terms of a Macro....the Tamron 180 is really nice as it affords you a bit more room...but the Tamron 90mm as well as the Canon 105 (non IS is fine)....

Thoughts? jim

I don't know about humming birds but I have used a Tamron 90mm Macro lens for Puffins before. If the hummers' are only a couple of feet away I would have thought you could use a Macro lens for them too.

Attachments

• Puffin1-1.jpg
    Puffin1-1.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 56
  • PuffinPosing.jpg
    PuffinPosing.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 55
  • PuffinPortrait.jpg
    PuffinPortrait.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 72
I've obtained decent results using my 180mm macro lens for Hummingbird and Snowberry Clearwing moths and other large insects at reasonable distances, so I feel I'd have a good chance with similar sized Hummingbirds if they were willing to approach closely (I've not had that experience with local Ruby-thoated Hummers, they are very wary). I also have a 105mm macro lens and I frequently exceed the "zone of comfort" for many species with that lens. I would not be confident of getting close enough to use a 100mm for Hummingbirds.

Great shots... How close were u?
Luckily on Skomer where I took these the Puffins come very close they were about three feet away (the first two shots are full frame & the portrait is about 50% crop). I would imagine with Hummingbirds being a lot smaller a 180mm lens would be a better choice if you can get similar distances.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back