• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

OPTICRON MCF 7X24 Porro binoculars. (1 Viewer)

Cluster

My compacts are generally consigned to my ruc-sack. They stay there for walks/hikes where I don't expect much use from them. If a more than infrequent use is likely, then the 8x32 will go with me. This use extends to holidays, where the 8x25 will be taken unless it's a birding holiday.
I wondered if they might be more useful and usable if I tried a lower mag of 7x.

I'd recently bought a used pair of Fumoto 7x24 classic porros, and on the strength of the performance of this, bought (new) the Opticron MCF 7x24 reverse porro. These binoculars are identical as far as I can tell.
The MCF gives that "washed clean" image that a good porro can give that I've seen described in other threads. The view has excellent contrast and colour saturation and is very sharp within its sweetspot of around 50%. CA seems to be quite minimal and is even less than my 8x25 Hawke Frontier PC bins, which are very good in this respect.
Their performance has given me a "step change" in performance over my roofs of a similar size in the same way that my HRWP 8x42 replaced my Nikon Monarch 8x42.
The MCF 7x24 have fold down eye cups, I don't wear glasses but can guess that these may not suit wearers of glasses.
These binoculars fit to my view very well, without much of the fussy eye placement that I expect from my 8x25 roofs or any other binoculars around this size. This effect is very welcome, it makes these binoculars very usable, giving an easy and comfortable viewing experience.
I'm aware that there's more to binocular performance that the qualities discussed here, but so far these binoculars are an absolute gem and fit very well in my favourite (inexpensive) binocular series which now comprises: MCF 7x24, SRGA 8x32 and the HRWP 8x42.

Opticron MCF 7x24 (discontinued)
Around 250g, reverse porro, FOV 127/1000

Last edited:
Hi Cluster. I think the 7x24 was always regarded as the strongest in the line up. The 8x24 might give rather more apparent field of view but wouldn't be surprised if it lost a bit in every other respect; that's what the KikkertSpesialisten review indicated anyways. Also not sure but was only the 7x24 adopted for sale by Monkoptics as that Fumoto model?
How does your model cope with stray light? I have a 10x24 MCF and did find that it struggled in tricky conditions.

I have found that I get some white crescents opposite the brightest part of the view (flare?) in some circumstances. It need not be very bright sunlight to get this.
My 7x36 Bushnell Excursion also shows this, but to a lesser degree.
It hasn't been a problem yet and, of course, can be eliminated by shading the objectives.

This minor feature is well worth putting up with, the quality of the view within the sweet-spot is outstanding.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back