• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Canon lens? Advice please... (1 Viewer)

Jos Stratford

Eastern Exile
Staff member
United Kingdom
The choice is:

1. Canon EF 75-300 f4-5.6 III USM

Price on Warehouse Express is £169, price here in Lithuania equals £200!

2. Canon EF 90-300 f4.5-5.6 USM

Price on Warehouse Express is £185, price here in Lithuania equals only £145!

So logically seems I should choose the 90-300 lens as it is MUCH cheaper here for some illogical reason.

As far as I can see, the first lens has the advantage of a slightly faster speed at f4 and a metal mounting plate. Second is a bit lighter in weight, but has a plastic mount.

Any advice?

Hi Jos I was going to leave this for somebody else but seeing as you have had no takers I'll stick in a my twopennorth.

I think the key question is what will you do with either of these lenses. Seeing as this is a Birding forum I will presume that you want them for birds.

In that case I think you will be disappointed with either lens.

For a start 300mm is not really enough reach, you need to be looking at 400mm as a minimum and that's before you start thinking about adding convertors.

I do not own or have any knowledge of use of either lens, but the plastic mount lens series are usually made down to a price rather than up to a quality.

Hope this is of some help.

Pete

Jos.If ordering mailorder from WHE why not try www.7dayshop.com they do Canon lenses eg EF100-300 F4.4-5.6 USM £199 inc postage or EF 75-300f4-5.6 usm £129. The 100-300 is the far better lens.

Hi Graham have you bought from them before?

I am looking for the Canon EF Zoom Lens - 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM (not for birding I may add).

William i have used 7dayshop for at least 10 years but have only brought small item eg film batteries inks etc and have always been pleased with their service.Their prices are very good i cant find anywhere lower,i am not shure if they are a Canon UK dealer may be a e-mail to canon would answer this.But as Canon warranty their lenses world wide and its mail order i dont think this would be a problem.Several others on this site have brought camera gear from 7dayshop without any problems.

Be aware that when dealing with 7dayshop that they have no customer phone number and only deal by email, which they are not that quick at replying.

Pete

7Day shop in my opinion sometimes take a long while to deliver (well over a week) but have always proved a reliable source of gear posted to me. Their prices are always very good too.

You can get express delivery if you pay extra about £3.99 but if buying cameras or lenses i think it is royal mail special or recorded delivery included in the price ,normal delivery for other items is up to 10 working days.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back