• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Royal Camera (1 Viewer)

I haven't. If you are going to buy from the U.S., it is probably going to be a bit costly with the shipping and taxes but you might want to look at B&H Photo. Excellent company and a pleasure to deal with.

I recently bought some goods from the US (not camera parts). The whole deal looked good until I received a card through the door saying the post office would not deliver until I had paid the VAT and customs charges at £32.00 in total!! Made the cost £10 more than if I had bought it here.

Buyer beware!!!! No doubt you may have problems if it goes wrong too. It may contain non standard parts that cannot be obtained by suppliers here. Would be costly sending it back for repairs or guarentees!!

I bought my Nikon D70 from them. I will relate my experience and let you decide.

I wanted a D70and so did an internet search. Royal came up a lot less than everyone else. Talked it over with SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed). Said I would spend $600 on a D70 and small Nikon zoom lens. I didn't need a memory card as I already had a 256 Mb for my Canon S50. So I tried to buy online. It would not let me buy online! So I phoned up, said I wanted a D70 and Nikon lens. He took my CC details and address and then suggested that I get the Sigma equivalent lens as it was better, slightly more expensive as well. I insisted that I wanted the Nikon lens, but it's much better quality etc etc. I stuck by my decision and he relented. "Memory card, you need a memory card". No, I told him I already had one. "Is it a high speed card? You must use a HS card as each shot will take 35 seconds to save". I didn't know any diferent. He said how thay had a special deal a 512Mb HS card normally $399 would be $199. This time I relented and agreed to get the card. "Battery? Which battery and charger do you want?" I said "WTF, surely it comes with a battery and charger?". He then explained that the $495 (at the time) D70 was a Taiwanese import. It came with a Chinese manual and the warranty was in Taiwan and didn't come with the battery which was extra. If I wanted the US version that was $699. I was in two minds at this point, tell him to go do something unnatural or just buy the US version. I ended up buying the US version.

When the camera arrived it was shipped with the Sigma lens not the Nikon that I insisted on, it only came with a 256Mb memory not the promised 512Mb. I was ****** to say the least. The invoice clearly stated Nikon lens but did say 256Mb. I normally buy loads of stuff over the interenet without a problem, because this was verbal I wasn't sure how I stood. So I phoned up and spoke to someone and explained my position. He assured me that the Sigma was was much better than the Nikon equivalent, stating much faster focussing and f2.8 v f3.5 with the Nikon. he said try it for 21 days and if I was not satisfied I could return it. He gave me a choice on the memory card; I could send back the 256Mb and he would send me a 512Mb or he could just send me an additional 256Mb. I opted for the later and believe it or not it arrived 3 days later. I talked to various people about the lens and the consensus was that it really was a good lens to have so I'm sticking with it.

Would I buy from them again? Doubt it. I would ask a lot more questions I think first of all. I wonder if I had insisted on the $495 D70 body would I have really got a Taiwanese version.

Good luck

Royal Cameras have a very bad reputation try a google search and you'll see.they charge extras for items that come as standard eg battery and charger.If you are after a camera try www.pricerunner.co.uk.What is it you are interested in.

You'll also have problems if something goes wrong with the camera - if the savings (after VAT/duties/delivery etc) aren't that good, then i'd buy from the UK. Far easier to return goods if necessary. Not sure about US law either, with regard to return of faulty goods.

Will the warrenty still be valid over here? Same conditions etc.?

Ragna said:
Royal Cameras have a very bad reputation try a google search and you'll see.they charge extras for items that come as standard eg battery and charger.If you are after a camera try www.pricerunner.co.uk.What is it you are interested in.

I'm after a canon 20D but now with the 350d coming out may wait for reviews on the cheaper alternative. I've not had much luck trying to get the 20D been messed around by dodgy traders. Really dis-heartened! :C :stuck: :gn:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back