• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spoonbill contrasting colors (1 Viewer)

blueyezz

blueyezz
It's very hard to shoot spoonbills without overexposing the white. The contrast between the pink and white is drastic. This is the best photo I can get of a spoonbill. Tripod was used. It was underexposed -1. The weather was cloudy and if I underexposed anymore they were too dark. Any suggestions on how to shoot them better. The reflection from the water plays a part as well. Any help greatly appreciated. Regards from Marilyn in Florida

Attachments

• SpoonbillIbis.jpg
    SpoonbillIbis.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 225
Spoonbill contrasting colours

blueyezz said:
It's very hard to shoot spoonbills without overexposing the white. The contrast between the pink and white is drastic. This is the best photo I can get of a spoonbill. Tripod was used. It was underexposed -1. The weather was cloudy and if I underexposed anymore they were too dark. Any suggestions on how to shoot them better. The reflection from the water plays a part as well. Any help greatly appreciated. Regards from Marilyn in Florida

Hello Marilyn,

You could try underexposing yet another stop and then bring up the shadows only in photoshop or similar. I like the picture anyway.

Best wishes

John

Becareful of underexposing too much as this brings up the noise levels and you lose too much shadow detail. If this was taken with a Canon they tend to compress the Hi-lights on the jpegs or make it look over exposed. If you can shot raw format for this type of shot it gives you more latitude for adjustment.

The peak whites are near the limit but not completely blown away. I find Photoshop 8 adjust shawdows and Highlights tool useful to increase contrast in the high-lights. See if the attached looks closer.

Robert

Attachments

• SpoonbillIbis.jpg
    SpoonbillIbis.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 162
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back