• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which 12x (1 Viewer)

JCJ

I am probally going to get my dad a 12x bino(because he insist) for his b-day and don't have experience with 12s. The two in question are the zeiss 12x56 and the 12x50 leica. The nikon is not waterproof and has to small a fov. Please tell me the pros and cons of these 2 binos and some opnions will really be helpful. Thanks.

I can not help you with those 2, but there is also the Pentax DCF SP 12.5X50. It is waterproof, but does have a smaller FOV (252 feet). Though Eagle Optics no longer carries it, you can get it at places like 17th Street photo for under $600. I have never held a pair, but I do have a Pentax DCF SP 10X50 and am very happy with them.

Good luck,

Lew

I've had a pair of the 12x50 Leica Ultravids for the past 18 months now. Prior to getting them I did consider the 12x56 Zeiss Victory II model. The primary reason why I choose the Leica over the Zeiss was because they were 8 ounces lighter in weight.

Aside from the weight difference the Leica's have other very nice features. First, they are fully waterproof. Second, they're fairly small for their aperture size and pack very well. Third, they can close focus to 10.5 feet. Fourth, they have excellent ergonomics and are comfortable to hold (in so far as a it is possible to comfortably hand hold a 12x binocular). Fifth, you can set and lock the diopter adjustments for both eyes rather than just for the right eye. Sixth, if you want to occasionally use them with a mount, Leica has a great tripod adapter that works with them. Seventh, they come with a very nice, perfectly sized, condura case. Eigth, they're small/light enough that you can and get good views (although, it is best to be seated or leaning against something when using them), but the magnification is also high enough that they can give you great views when you mount them on either a monopod or tripod. Ninth, they have a huge field of view - 5.73 degrees true and 69 degrees apparent. Tenth, their optics are superb and retain their sharpness across most of the field which is rather impressive for such a wide field binoculars. Also, they're very bright for such a high power binocular.

On the downside,their focuser wheel is not as smooth as I'd like (but it isn't terrible either) and their price is very high.

Another very nice 12x binocular is the Nikon 12 x 50 SEs. They're a porro prism design and are not waterproof. They have excellent ergonomics and superb optics and they sell for about half the price of the Leicas. They have a 5.00 degree true field and a 60 degree apparent field and have very good edge sharpess for a binocular. They're also very light - only 31.6 ounces. I used to have a pair and liked them, but I switched to the Leicas because they were both waterproof and more compact so they're easier to take along on a hikes or an overnight backpacks. The other reason I decided to get them rather than keep the Nikons was because of their huge field of view.

John Finnan

JCJ said:
I am probally going to get my dad a 12x bino(because he insist) for his b-day and don't have experience with 12s. The two in question are the zeiss 12x56 and the 12x50 leica. The nikon is not waterproof and has to small a fov. Please tell me the pros and cons of these 2 binos and some opnions will really be helpful. Thanks.

Hi JCS,

Does your father wear eye glasses when looking through a binocular? The Nikon SE has the longest eye relief but it has fold down eyecups. Fine if one person uses the bino but a pain if it gets passed around.

I have both the Leica 12x50 BA and Nikon 12x50SE. I like both. I use them mostly for amateur astronomy. I'm sure the Zeiss 12x56 is very nice.

Rich

He does wear glasses. I looked and the zeiss and nikon fov is actually pretty close. The leica has a much bigger field, which I love. How do you guys like the 12x as compared to 10x. I have always used 7s, 8s, and 10s. My dad complains that as he gets older its harder for him to see with 7s, 8s, and even 10s, and he would like more power. I have several 10x50s, just no experence with 12x.

JCJ said:
He does wear glasses. I looked and the zeiss and nikon fov is actually pretty close. The leica has a much bigger field, which I love. How do you guys like the 12x as compared to 10x. I have always used 7s, 8s, and 10s. My dad complains that as he gets older its harder for him to see with 7s, 8s, and even 10s, and he would like more power. I have several 10x50s, just no experence with 12x.

I've used a Pentax porro prism 12x50 while watching migrating raptors from the top of a hill. I was lying on my back, with my head rested on a backpack, and elbows resting comfortably on the ground or on books. It worked just fine. However, as soon as i went birding in the parks, i switched to 10x, because 12x are just not for me. These 12x are like magnum rifles (not everyone can shoot them well), but if you can hold them steady, they will show you more of the bird.

I haven't seen them, but I have my doubts about the Zeiss 12x56. I have read complaints from amateur astronomers about excessive chromatic aberration, which makes sense to me, given the high magnification combined with large objectives which, judging from the overall dimensions, probably have an unusually low focal ratio. An FL version with perhaps a little longer focal length objective would look more interesting to me. And Zeiss could give them a decent focusing knob while they're at it. ;-)

Also well worth consideration are the Canon 12x36 IS IIs. I never thought I would be able to hand hold 12x binoculars, but I find the IS feature works great for me. I find the detail visible in the 12x view is considerably more than in my 7x pair, and the Canons are now the pair I usually grab when I head out the door.

They are not waterproof, but I have my trusty waterproof 7x42s that are and are also more suitable for the typical dreary skies on rainy days.

Clear skies, Alan

I would second Alan's suggestion and add the Canon 10x42L IS which is waterproof. Certainly your father could see more with either than any non-IS 12X.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back