• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodpecker Nesting Box (1 Viewer)

SkyScanner

I want to build a woodpecker nesting box/cavity. Does anyone have any information on dimensions, materials, and placement? I'm just getting started with this idea and all help is appreciated.

I made one this past winter sized for a flicker. One tip that is often given is to fill the entire box with wood chips or sawdust. This is to entice a woodpecker to excavate it (their natural instinct) and also deter other birds and squirrels from entering. I filled mine with wood chips, but after a few weeks/months they settled below the entrance hole. If I had to do it again I would pack the wood in tighter or use sawdust.

a block of polystyrene (or several layers packed tightly together) also works well, saw one at a reserve and tried it the following year, within a few weeks a woodpecker was excavating, but made a bit of mess beneath the box ;)

Richard W said:
a block of polystyrene (or several layers packed tightly together) also works well, saw one at a reserve and tried it the following year, within a few weeks a woodpecker was excavating, but made a bit of mess beneath the box ;)
Interesting. I may try something like this. A better (and cleaner) solution may be to use something like cork board instead.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back