• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds from Football Grounds (1 Viewer)

Bird Hard 2

Cynical Sceptic
Hi,
I have a friend who is writing a book on 'Football Lists'.
I'm trying to get the top ten rarest birds seen from a football ground.
I remember a couple of seasons ago there was a Black Kite seen over (I think) Pride Park, Plymouth.
Anyone else seen a rare(ish) bird from a footy ground/stadium? It doesn't necessarily have to be in the UK.
Cheers!

watcha

nice thread

despite being football mad, my list, either when playing or watching is pitiful

seen a few good uns playing when birding abroad such as in Peru but do thery count cos they weren't on 'official' grounds

remember the birders game on Scilly being stopped for a Wood Thrush!

Tim

Bird Hard 2 said:
Hi,
I remember a couple of seasons ago there was a Black Kite seen over (I think) Pride Park, Plymouth.
Cheers!

That's Home Park, Plymouth.

Turkeys are seen on the pitch there most weeks - they're not that rare ;)

Darrell

I know a lad playing cricket at school (it would have been a football pitch at any other time of the year) and saw a white heron fly over. After school, he looked at all the local ponds and found a Squacco Heron.

I remember being gripped off by waxwings reported in Islington. (We don't often get the chance of a borough tick). And insult to injury, bird line reported 10 "over Highbury Stadium". :C

Yeah, I had Waxwings at the Brittania Stadium once (Stoke City's ground). Not quite from the stadium, but I guess it would do.
I'd also like to know about anyone who was on the way to a game and had to divert due to a rare bird sighting.
Cheers.

Barn Owl at Ashton Gate (Bristol City).

It must have been roosting in the roof of the stand and as the ground started to fill with fans and the noise levels increased then flew the length of the pitch and over the stand at the far end of the ground. Magnificent sight!

Steve

Not a rare bird but the only Mute Swan I saw on my June 2004 to England was flying over the City of Manchester stadium during the England v Iceland game.

E

The car park at Bay View in Methil (the home of East Fife no less) offers very good views over the mouth of the River Leven and Largo Bay. Lots of seaduck, gulls etc and I seem to remember seeing an Iceland Gull there once.

I've also seen Osprey and Peregrine whilst playing cricket.

11 eagles at Selhurst park plus 3 or 4 more on the benches seen most weeks except summer. Very striking red and blue stripes but nothing found in any any of the bird books I have. They like to remain in the park but every so often go so other similar habitats. Seagulls not popular with this species of eagle and there are ocassional clashes due to the gregarious nature of these species'. I know our Est Anglian friends have frequent sightings of canaries yet these never seen to make the headlines in "birdline". What with owls in Sheffield there is no end of great birding in football (soccer). Shame about the p****ns, There ought to be more peregrines around.

(Sorry if I've missed out your clubs - I'm rushed)

Steve

Dipped it, but once tried (twice) to see a Black-throated Thrush that was hanging out either on a school sports field/football pitch or nearby open area somewhere in London donkey's years back. Would that count?

Jos Stratford said:
Dipped it, but once tried (twice) to see a Black-throated Thrush that was hanging out either on a school sports field/football pitch or nearby open area somewhere in London donkey's years back. Would that count?
Talking of thrush......West Brom had one on the scoreboard 3:)

Attachments

• 1163_WEST_BROMWICH_ALBION.jpg
    1163_WEST_BROMWICH_ALBION.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 246
Tottenham's world famous Shelf is a great place to watch gulls heading for their roost on King George V and William Girling Reservoirs. Thousands fly over and I have spent many a moment looking out for the all-white wings of a Glauc or Iceland. If only Spurs were a long ball team then I could spend more time looking upwards....

I've only just seen this. I've seen Green Sandpipers in a waterlogged car park of the Reebok Stadium (nearby Red Moss is a regular site for them).

Wasn't there a Dartford Warbler in a small nature reserve in the grounds of Pride Park last year?

bristolbirder said:
Barn Owl at Ashton Gate (Bristol City).

It must have been roosting in the roof of the stand and as the ground started to fill with fans and the noise levels increased then flew the length of the pitch and over the stand at the far end of the ground. Magnificent sight!

Steve

I would be very interested to know when this was Steve. The only birds I tend to see at the Gate is gulls & of course the Robins strutting their stuff on the pitch.

Rod.

Long-eared Owl at the old Ayresome Park (RIP), Middlesbrough was my best there. A friend of mine had Marsh Harrier over Pittodrie, Aberdeen a couple of years ago. I did see a Red-breasted Goose fly by the Fair Isle football pitch whilst playing last July, which was a bizzare sight (the bird, not me).

I seem to recall a tale about the ex-Liverpool goalkeeper, Mike Hooper, who id'd a Little Egret whilst training with Liverpool.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back