• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CF SD cards whats the difference (1 Viewer)

markho

My D50 takes SD cards and I have seen various comments made in magazines and on this forum about the new D80 taking SD cards instead of Compact Flash cards.
It sounds like people prefer CF cards if so why, whats the advantage of one over the other.I notice that some of the more professional D1 D2 Nikon cameras take CF but I am very happy that I will be able to use my SD cards on the D80. And not need to purchase CF cards.

markho said:
It sounds like people prefer CF cards if so why, whats the advantage of one over the other.

In the past CF cards were quite a bit cheaper than SD. They were also available in higher capacities. Over the years these differences have been eroded, so there's not a lot between them now.

Some will say that the extra physical size of the CF card is an advantage (they're harder to lose) others will say it's a disadvantage (requires too much space in the camera - making it bigger).

One advantage SD has is that it doesn't rely on a set of vulnerable, bendable, pins to make contact.

A big reason a lot of people would prefer a camera with CF is that we've already got a lot of cash invested in CF cards.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back