• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to select which memory card the camera uses? (1 Viewer)

shrek48

HI all, I am looking to purchase a CF express card to sit in my D500 alongside my new Sandisk SD card, How to select which memory card the camera uses as the primaty card ??? I have looked on youtube and come up empty! pleanty explaing what cards u can use but nothing on selction !
Reason I want to run two cards is A- more storage & B - CF is 4 x faster than the SD card ;-)
TIA

I downloaded a manual for my camera some time ago, and it's been of great use. (y)
Thanks taking in info from writen word is difficult for me these days sadly, hence the Question here and the youtube search!
I downloaded a manual for my camera some time ago, and it's been of great use. (y)
Thanks taking in info from writen word is difficult for me these days sadly, hence the Question here and the youtube search!

That's a camera on steroids--from what I'm reading just now, you can download an app called SnapBridge to send photos from your camera directly to your smartphone! (Still not what you were looking for, but give me a moment.)

EDIT: Got it in Polish--just a sec.

EDIT 2:
Using Two Memory Cards
When two memory cards are inserted in the camera, you can choose one as the primary card using the Primary slot selection item in the photo shooting menu. Select XQD card slot to designate the card in the XQD card slot as the primary card, SD card slot to choose the SD card. The roles played by the primary and secondary cards can be chosen using the Secondary slot function option in the photo shooting menu. Choose from Overflow (the secondary card is used only when the primary card is full), Backup (each picture is recorded to both the primary and secondary card), and RAW primary - JPEG secondary (as for Backup, except that the NEF/RAW copies of photos shot at settings of NEF/RAW + JPEG are recorded only to the primary card and the JPEG copies only to the secondary card).
“Backup” and “RAW Primary - JPEG Secondary”
The camera shows the number of exposures remaining on the card with the least amount of memory. Shutter release will be disabled when either card is full.
Recording Movies
When two memory cards are inserted in the camera, the slot used to record movies can be selected using the Destination option in the movie shooting menu (page 288).
(page 288 is the second attachment)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230319-175252_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230319-175252_Drive.jpg
    693.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20230319-175222_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230319-175222_Drive.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
taking in info from writen word is difficult for me these days sadly
Oops, I scanned through your answer so quickly that its main part (quoted above) eluded me!! 😮 Sorry for that, and if you have any technical difficulties, don't hesitate to ask, and I'll try to help.

That's a camera on steroids--from what I'm reading just now, you can download an app called SnapBridge to send photos from your camera directly to your smartphone! (Still not what you were looking for, but give me a moment.)

EDIT: Got it in Polish--just a sec.

EDIT 2:

(page 288 is the second attachment)
awesome thanks ;-) hows Poland ? cold and wet here in the UK ! any good birding sites for me to have a short break there?

Hard to say--surely, but I'm still in the process of exploring them myself. And, yes--chilly and wet here now as well, although we had some nice sun just a few days before.

Fitted the new CF epress card and the camera choose it as primary card automatically ! happy days, I did format it first as they say you should ;-) So both cards now in and working together , lovely !

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back