• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski USA told me there was no difference (1 Viewer)

308CAL

between the SLC new and the old as far as optics go..they said it was purely cosmetics.... I have read otherwise on this site??? did the lady on the phone know what she was talking about??

between the SLC new and the old as far as optics go..they said it was purely cosmetics.... I have read otherwise on this site??? did the lady on the phone know what she was talking about??

I was one of the discussants. For a year or two prior to the SLC Neu being introduced, the SLC line was upgraded with "Swarobright" prism coatings. That made them notably brighter than earlier SLC models, which looked the same otherwise. The SLC Neu were given the same optics and coatings with Swarobright, and I'm not aware of any recent changes being announced (or observed).

So, the lady meant the optics remained the same at the point the SLC Neu line was introduced, not that all SLCs historically had the same coatings. (There were also other differences in earlier models.) The problem, of course, is that Swarobright models don't have an identifier on the body, so unless you have the original box marked Swarobright with matching serial number, there is little way to prove what's what.

Hope that hasn't hopelessly confused you.

Blue skies,
Ed

Last edited:
thanks

I have heard the yearof swarobright conversion was 1999??? i am finding new 7x42 (old body style) for 900$ where as the SLC new in 1250$??

Is the new style worth $350 more?

If the optics are indeed identical then my opinion would be, no, the upgrade in body style is not worth $350 more.

I take it you are looking at the samplelist SLCs? I contemplated picking one up myself. A black Swaro would be a novelty. ;) Make sure with Chris that they are definitely newer than 1999.

I agree with Frank. If the old body style has Swarobright, then it's a comparative bargain. I bought the 10x42 SLC in black for $1000 two yrs. ago.

I believe that SLC swarobright change over started in 2000 and was completed in 2003. Every 2003 and newer has the newest prism coatings. Everything SLC before 2000 has the older prism coatings. The three years between 2000 - 2002 are model and serial number dependent as to whether they're swarobright or not. I used to know what models were finished when, but unfortunately I've forgotten. You can call Swarovski with the serial number and they'll tell you if it has swarobright or not. ;)

Honestly I don't even know if swarobright is worth the extra $350. I can't tell any difference between my 15x56s with and without swarobright. I don't own the older 15xs anymore but I owned them simultaneously for a year so had time to evaluate them. If you can get a nice set of Swarovski's for a good price just buy them because you wont be disappointed. Those Sample list 7x42s are a good deal.

Last edited:
I should have known that serial numbers would tell the story. I also would agree with Patriot222, since my personal preference is for colors in the pre-Swarobright 10x42 SLC. To me they are mellower and more enjoyable.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back