- Anous stolidus
38–45 cm (15-17¾ in)
- Dark brown overall plumage
- Grey crown
- Whitish forehead
Tropical oceans: Circumglobal.
There are 5 subspecies:
- A. s. plumbeigularis:
- Southern Red Sea and Gulf of Aden
- A. s. pileatus:
- A. s. galapagensis:
- A. s. ridgwayi:
- A. s. stolidus:
A. s. plumbeigularis is usually considered invalid, and sometimes considered a subspecies of A. s. pileatus .
Tropical and sub-tropical islands. They are a mainly pelagic species; breeding on oceanic islands.
They are surface feeders; their dies consists almost entirely of small fish and squid.
The nest on cliffs or in trees. A single egg is laid. They nest throughout the year in the Galapagos.
Click on photo for larger image
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2018. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2018. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive (retrieved Apr 2018 and October 2018)
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Brown Noddy. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 23 January 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Brown_Noddy