|This article is incomplete.
This article is missing one or more sections. You can help the BirdForum Opus by expanding it.
- Fregata ariel
Pantropical with breeding colonies widely scattered.
Accidental vagrant to the United States with records in Maine, Michigan, Wyoming, and California.
This is a polytypic species consisting of three subspecies:
- F. a. ariel:
- Islands in Indian and Pacific oceans
- F. a. trinitatis:
- Trindade Island and Martín Vaz Island; wanders to coastal Brazil
- F. a. iredalei:
- Mascarene Islands; disperses to coasts of India and Somalia
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2016. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2016, with updates to August 2016. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Birdforum thread discussing id of Frigatebirds
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2023) Lesser Frigatebird. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 26 March 2023 from https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Lesser_Frigatebird